American Preparatory Academy of Draper

Charter | K-9 | 570 students

Rigorous Academics, Character Development, Excellent Test Scores, Arts and Music

Sweep tile

Posted June 8, 2011

I have thought about what school to put my kids in since they were 2 years old. I tried homeschooling, tried to afford private school, and I put their names in all of the charter schools I could find. When they got picked to attend APA, I was thrilled! The more we are there, the more I love everything about it. It is a commitment, with homework, parent involvement, etc, but that is one of my favorite things. I have such a feeling of pride knowing the get the privilege to attend such an amazing school! What an amazing blessing! Thank you APA!!!

Posted March 2, 2011

We have been at APA for 5 years, after two miserable years in our neighborhood elementary. I cannot find the words to say how much we love this school! It is hard work, the students must meet high expectations and behave responsibly and respectfully. There is homework. Every single night. Yet, given the choice each Spring, all of my children choose APA. I have one who struggles with reading and spelling, one who excels in everything, two who do well but need to be challenged, and one who is far behind her classmates. ALL of them thrive at APA. The small groups do wonders for students at all levels, and they are constantly encouraged and expected to give their best. The staff is 100% supportive and helpful, and we have been given every accomodation possible for our children who needed help. We are moving, and I know that we will never find another school like APA. If we find our way back to UT, we WILL return to this school! American Preparatory Academy is a rare gem.

Posted February 12, 2011

This school will meet your child exactly where they are academically, even if they're three grades ahead in one subject and two grades behind in another, they will place them in groups that are fluid between grade levels. The groups move at various speeds, depending on what your child needs. I don't know why all schools don't follow this model. These small groups (some meet in tiny little classrooms) are small enough that the teachers really know exactly what each student knows or doesn't know. They use direct instruction, which means that the students use choral responses, to whatever the teacher is teaching. The kids' minds can't wander. They stay focused and testing becomes no big deal because they have been verbally assessed, daily, in a positive, fun environment. I also love the ambassador program at this school. They have activities to teach the students social etiquette and manners. I have never seen a more polite, respectful, kind group of students than the ones at this school. We'll never move because I refuse to take my kids out of this school. It's incredible! I hope that they build American Preparatory High School soon!

Posted November 6, 2010

I wanted the best school I could get for my Kindergarten age child. I am so happy that we got her into APA. I am amazed at the quality of education she is getting. I love the main principles of the school, I love to curriculum, I love the 2 teachers, I love the uniforms. Every child is expected to give their best, and as a result, the children succeed. There is a level of respect that is part of the environment that seems to be lost in the rest of the world. I love that the small groups for math and reading allow all children to succeed and learn at their level. APA is one of the best schools in the valley.

Posted February 10, 2010

APA has far surpassed our expectations. Not only are the teachers great, and the curriculum amazing, the student body consists of respectful, kind, and hard working students. Every time I enter the school I hear kids offering their classmates words of encouragement. The student body is expected to be respectful and they rise to the occasion. I am very grateful that my children are able to attend such an amazing school. Thank you APA staff for all you do.

Posted November 28, 2009

My son attended K and half of 1st grade here. We absolutely loved it. Yes, there is homework most every night. But it is worth it. Academically, he has excelled beyond our wildest hopes. We love the small class sizes, and the uniforms. They are committed to academics, but also to values, and caring for each child. I think the small reading and math groups work very well. I would highly recommend this school. I'm so sad that we had to move and leave it.

Posted September 20, 2009

I love everything about APA. I love the uniforms, the small class sizes, the teachers, the curriculum, and the break out groups.

Posted August 26, 2009

We can not tell you how impressed we are with this school. The teachers that all 3 of our kids have had all love what they do. Our kids have also made huge strides in their education sence switching from another school. In their prior school there were a couple of great teachers as well but only 2. At APA all of the teachers are great. We also love the learning program. It is not easy but well worth it. We could not be more pleased with the school. APA A+!

Posted August 20, 2008

Our family has been attending American Prep since it opened. My students started school in 6th, 4th, and 2nd grade and my 4th grader and 2nd grader were far below grade level in Reading and in Math. My 2nd grader wasn't even reading! The programs at APA are outstanding and the individualized instruction for each student makes such a difference! My students are now going into 9th grade and 7th grade and they are both above grade level in Reading and Math. The leadership and teacher's desire to help every student succeed is constant. It doesn't matter if a student is far below grade level and struggling, they do everything they can to make every student feel smart and successful. This school isn't for families who don't want to study at night - but it is well worth the commitment!

Posted January 24, 2008

Apa is the best school I have ever attended. I attended for three years and it was truely one of the best expriences I have ever had. The director and the teachers are fantastic. It has helped me to succeed many of my academic goals. Apa has taught me many lessons and vaules you cannot learn in a public school. Thanks Apa! Your Amazing.

Posted January 13, 2008

I go to APA. This school pushes me and everyone around me to our best potentials. I know that this school will help me prepare for college. I am in a higher math level that I thought i could be in an I am getting great grades and loving school. Also, the English teacher is helping me and my friends prepare for the DWA. In the past we having gotten above average scores on it, and I hope that we can do it again because it would be awesome.

Posted November 7, 2007

This school is absolutely over the top in every way. The administration and teachers work so hard and give careful attention to each child's individual needs. They've made such a big difference in the lives of my children. Not only do they teach rigorous academics, they also instill values, teach character, and set clear, loving boundaries for each student. There is no tolerance for any type of bullying and it is popular to be a smart, high achiever. It is a learning place. You feel it when you walk through the front door. There is no wasted time. No movies. No dead time whatsoever. Even during lunch, the students listen to great literature. Math, reading and spelling are completely fluid between grade levels. Your child will be met and challenged at the perfectlevel. The music and art programs are amazing. The school is so much better than it has to be!

Posted October 3, 2007

Yes I agree with the positive reviews of APA. Three of my children attend there and they are doing great. My teenage daughter's attitude towards school has changed overnight. She loves the challenge and the environment. The teachers expect a lot but they are nurturing at the same time. I am very glad they are going to APA.

Posted October 2, 2007

My children have attended APA for 5 years now . It is amazing how much they have learned. In regular schools it seems that the teachers are forced to teach down to the lowest level in the classroom . Not so at APA . Each child is expected to perform at his highest level. Promotion to the next grade isn't a given it is an earned right. I think the uniforms add to a wonderful safe learning environment. I know that when I drop my children off each morning they will be expected to be on there best behavior and so will all of there piers. It is a comforting feeling.

Posted July 25, 2007

although APA is a small school, I have to admitt it was the greatest school I have ever attended, and probably ever will. Not only was the curriculum amazing, and the level of knowledge and learning extremely high, the teachers and administraters truely cared about each individual student, and helping them in any way possible. because it is a charter school, it was personally hard to get used to, but the overall outcome was so fantastic that I must say that going to APA was one of the best decisions I have ever made. I encourage anyone who is thinking about alternatives to public schools to give APA a try, and experiance the mind blowing results for themselves.

Posted April 17, 2007

I was an actual student there and I had on attended for one year because they I came to High school. I have to say it was the best school I have ever gone to. I love how they push you to do your absoulute best. I loved the size of the classrooms. I especially loved the teachers and how they actually wanted to help you. They do work you hard but in the end it is so worth the effort. Now I am doing great in High School because of American Preparatory Academy! Thanks!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted March 26, 2007

We love APA! I love having two teachers per classroom. I love that small learning groups are set up to catch every level of learner. The curriculum far exceeds that of the public schools. Music and art are stressed at all grade levels. Respect and good behavior are the norm not the exception. And the parental involvement makes all the difference in the world! APA is not 'our kids' school it is our family school. We all participate and the result is children who value education and want to succeed! Thanks APA!

Posted January 9, 2007

I regret taking the kids out of APA to a public school. The teachers at APA cared about each of the children and they loved learning. Now they lost motivation and are behind. My daugther was writing in cursive in 2nd grade and at the public school they told her she had to wait till next year to do that and she forgot to write in cursive and had to start all over again. APA is the best! I hope they have room again for my children.

Posted September 13, 2006

I love APA. I love almost everything about it. My favorite things are small class sizes and two teachers for every class. I love the small break out groups for math, spelling, and reading. Also children are placed in the break out groups according to ability. I love the uniforms. I love the environment. I love that they do not waste time. I love that they teach the children appropriate behavior, respect, and obedience.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2010.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

59 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 82% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2013.

18 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

50 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

60 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

44 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 56% in 2010.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 67% in 2010.

Asian 3% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 17%N/A38%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Vietnamese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Charter School of the Year (2011)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Community Service Award (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Engineering

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration
  • Gifted specialist(s)
  • Debate

• Carolyn Sharette
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Special schedule
  • Block scheduling
  • Extended/longer school day
Is there an application process?

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Music
  • Performing arts
  • Science
  • Service learning
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Poetry
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom