Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I was bullied while attending American prep. The principal did not do anything. The people who bullied me physically and verbally. They did not receive a suspension or even an infraction. The principal told me he would contact their parents. He never did. I then developed depression and anxiety. Do not go to this school. You cannot count on the teachers or administration at all.

I went to this school most of my life and am honestly stunned by how parents view it. I had an absolutely awful experience here, I could spend hours writing about it. The teachers are very underpaid and it shows, most are underqualified and not at all sufficient in the skills needed to properly teach children. Their methods consist of hammering in topics and requiring a disgusting amount of homework for young students that is generally pumped out simply for something to make an assignment to grade and not for actual individual learning and academic achievement. Discipline essentially consists of sending students home and making them pay the school and stay for hours on Saturday. Alongside that, students would often get less than 15 minutes of lunch (or sometimes not recieve lunch at all and be blamed for it) for the actions of one child. If a student was slipping in their grades, they were shamed and lectured as opposed to being offered help or advice. On to the dress code. I am all for uniforms, I understand the reasoning and enjoy them, but like everything else at this school, it is pushed to unrealistic standards. Firstly, the uniforms consisted of many parts which you could only get in two places, and were very expensive. Families who could not afford to buy uniforms would not be given a break. Parents were disrespected and their schedules cast aside. If a piece if clothing was lost a student would often be sent home, even if it wasn't something that would be. Seen as innapropriate (i.e. a tie) or if their parents were at work. The boys' uniform was more casual than the girls' generally and much less strictly regimented. In once case,I had a very tall friend who in all the places she went to find a skirt could not find one that would reach below her knees and feel less than an inch above it and was shamed for this and made to wear a modified skirt that dragged below her ankles to shame her. Discrimination to minority parties was rampant, and differences both academic and personal were not excepted claiming it made others uncomfortable. Bullying is also common and most teachers did nothing due to laziness or favoritism. Students were made to wear nametags which resulted in saturday school if lost, most events required payment and were manditory. I think my rating is fair. But I can say one thing, this school is awfully good at creating low self esteem.

Amount of homework: Agree

Every school the kids go have homework it's a normal and part of learning experience to whom want to be success.

I have different perspectives with this school. One as a teacher, and one as a mother. The administration is horrible. They have the bare minimum educational qualifications in order to justify their positions, however, they are lacking in people skills and definitely not qualified to manage people. It brings a bad energy into good teacher's classrooms- which in turn, negatively impacts the students. One frustrating example that shows they can't be inconvenienced for the benefit of their students is the lunch complaints. A vast majority of the students will tell you they hate the lunch-- and administration simply ignores them all...even though they claim "they do what's best for kids." I agree with the students. The lunch is absolutely terrible. I would never eat it myself. As for my own children, they completely ignored the recommendations on his IEP. They told me that my son had to adapt for just a few subjects and tried to use my position as a teacher to manipulate me into just allowing them to ignore my son's IEP requirements. They are NOT a school for children with special needs and they try to make it so difficult for those kids that they just end up leaving the school. The theory is that special needs kids test lower-- so they don't want them there anyway. They should not receive public funding.

The teachers and staff are underpaid and they make sure everyone knows it. If you're considering going to this school, don't. I recommend summit academy. APA draper campus 1 is also located right directly under a landline. Which are extremely dangerous, because of the high amounts of electricity that run through them. They cause cancer, brain damage, and many other severe health problems. Unless you hate your kids, don't send them here.

Our local neighborhood middle school teachers told us that our daughter was asking for too much individual attention to understand the course material and wasn't cut out for advanced classes. We could see our daughter's confidence level in herself and her love of school diminish with each passing day. We found APA and decided to make a change. We cannot believe the positive change that has happened with our daughter. She is excited about school, loves her teachers, doesn't complain about the homework (yes, hours of homework each night is part of the deal), and is having a great social experience. I wish we would have found APA sooner.

Um parent educate yourself on the SARS testing. They are new tests for common core. Also look at the tests saying public schools are better. Our children go to Apa for a reason, we as parents want to be involved in our kids education. If you dislike APA so much by all means please leave and put your kids in public! Maybe you should learn about these new tests that came out yesterday. Why don't you read the other data regarding APA test scores. Ummmm k thanks. Proud APA parent!

APA is a public School! I absolutely agree with you saying "parent want to be involved". Questioning the test score is great way of be involved. by the way, tell parents of those whom "dislike APA" to leave is not a solution to improve APA's performance! please provide other prestigious sources as you mentioned in your post if State Office of Education is not take into account. where parents can go to learn the outcome of APA's education? I would like to be educated by the parent who seems know a lot about APA. thanks.

One of my favorite things about this school is that it places emphasis on being a person of good character. Traits such as honesty, dependability, helping others in need, and empathy are discussed and encouraged everday. They also provide reading, spelling, and math groups according to your child's level, either above or below grade level. They teach science, history, music, language arts nearly daily and I was impressed by the quality that these subjects were taught on. My first grader came home telling me about electrons and the Revolutionary War. They expect success and honesty without a military feel. They have high expectations for the children and they are often met with fun cheers and competitions. They require and love Parent involvement. Parents are encouraged to come and observe classroom teaching at anytime and they require 20 hours of parent volunteering throughout the year. Much of what makes the school a fun place to be is the Parent Organizations and volunteering. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting a school that demands your child to become their best self.

APA is a stellar school. My 5th grader has been at a different school every year due to moves and placements in gifted programs, and APA is hands-down the best school he has ever attended. I love the break out groups that cater to each child's needs and abilities. It requires a lot of parental involvement and is academically very rigorous, so it may not be for everyone, but if you want your child to get a real education (which is shockingly hard to find in my experience!), APA is the place for you. We love it!

Last modified American Preparatory Academy of Draper is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.