Public charter
Draper, UT
After care: No

Posted November 14, 2014
Our local neighborhood middle school teachers told us that our daughter was asking for too much individual attention to understand the course material and wasn't cut out for advanced classes. We could see our daughter's confidence level in herself and her love of school diminish with each passing day. We found APA and decided to make a change. We cannot believe the positive change that has happened with our daughter. She is excited about school, loves her teachers, doesn't complain about the homework (yes, hours of homework each night is part of the deal), and is having a great social experience. I wish we would have found APA sooner.

Posted October 29, 2014
Um parent educate yourself on the SARS testing. They are new tests for common core. Also look at the tests saying public schools are better. Our children go to Apa for a reason, we as parents want to be involved in our kids education. If you dislike APA so much by all means please leave and put your kids in public! Maybe you should learn about these new tests that came out yesterday. Why don't you read the other data regarding APA test scores. Ummmm k thanks. Proud APA parent!

American Preparatory Academy of Draper 4

Posted October 29, 2014
APA is a public School! I absolutely agree with you saying "parent want to be involved". Questioning the test score is great way of be involved. by the way, tell parents of those whom "dislike APA" to leave is not a solution to improve APA's performance! please provide other prestigious sources as you mentioned in your post if State Office of Education is not take into account. where parents can go to learn the outcome of APA's education? I would like to be educated by the parent who seems know a lot about APA. thanks.

Posted July 24, 2014
One of my favorite things about this school is that it places emphasis on being a person of good character. Traits such as honesty, dependability, helping others in need, and empathy are discussed and encouraged everday. They also provide reading, spelling, and math groups according to your child's level, either above or below grade level. They teach science, history, music, language arts nearly daily and I was impressed by the quality that these subjects were taught on. My first grader came home telling me about electrons and the Revolutionary War. They expect success and honesty without a military feel. They have high expectations for the children and they are often met with fun cheers and competitions. They require and love Parent involvement. Parents are encouraged to come and observe classroom teaching at anytime and they require 20 hours of parent volunteering throughout the year. Much of what makes the school a fun place to be is the Parent Organizations and volunteering. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting a school that demands your child to become their best self.

Posted June 10, 2014
APA is a stellar school. My 5th grader has been at a different school every year due to moves and placements in gifted programs, and APA is hands-down the best school he has ever attended. I love the break out groups that cater to each child's needs and abilities. It requires a lot of parental involvement and is academically very rigorous, so it may not be for everyone, but if you want your child to get a real education (which is shockingly hard to find in my experience!), APA is the place for you. We love it!

American Preparatory Academy of Draper 1

Posted May 18, 2014
APA is the worst school I have ever been to in my life. Having been a student I know how little the teachers care for the students, giving us less than 10 min of lunch on some days, giving kids so much homework that they will be doing homework until after 9 pm, and punishing us with making us go to school on a Saturday if you don't do well enough. APA will teach you the same stuff that all the other schools teach you, while yelling and lecturing you at the same time. The teachers don't care, the homework is insane, and the work they expect you to do in order to get a C average is over the top tyrannical. If you miss so much as one day they will make you do all the homework you missed and the homework that you get normally with the time limit of one day. Do not send your kids here, If you do they will never be happy until school is out. And when summer finally gets here they will give you TWO summer packets with enough problems in them to make you spend three hours a day trying to get it done. The school wont give your children very much homework until seventh grade, after that they will make your child look like a pack horse until you gradate. Do not send your children here.

American Preparatory Academy of Draper 2

Posted January 01, 2014
As a former student at this school, I am shocked at how well this school is viewed by parents. I went to this school for 6 years. I did well, I got smarter. The disciplinary actions taken by teachers were entirely unrealistic, but I dealt with that. This year, I transfered to a different school, and I realized how terrible APA really is. Most teachers are unqualified. Disciplinary actions range from losing lunchtime to being sent home. Many teachers there, especially elementary teachers, believe in a "5 minute lunchtime". They teach through lunchtime and then tell the kids, "Well, it's your fault you only have 5 minutes to eat". Teachers are derogatory and cruel. My cousin, who is visually impaired, had a 3rd grade teacher who swore at him and called him names to get his attention. That teacher is now a dictator, I mean director, at this school. This school teaches kids information by forcing it down their throats. I now do competitive math and seek to complete in an international competition in the next 2 years. Had I stayed at this school, I would have never had the time or motivation to learn as much as I need to on my own to do this. This school is really terrible

Posted January 01, 2014
I am happy we were able to prepare our student so well that he/she is able to participate in math contests! Our teachers are qualified and are required to meet the same requirements as teachers at all other public schools in Utah. We have no record of any teacher swearing at a disabled child and we invite anyone with information on that issue to bring it to our attention as we will address it immediately, just as we work to address any issue that arises.

Posted November 21, 2013
I could not feel more blessed to have found APA and have my child attend! From the attention to character building, to the rigorous academics, to instilling pride in our American history, to the delight over parent involvement--this school is extraordinary!! I feel like we're in a loving family and I know they have my child's back when it comes to issues that may arise with peers or schoolwork. They want their students to truly be their BEST selves! They instill confidence with encouragement! I cannot stop bragging about APA!

Posted October 24, 2013
We have had a really good experience with our kids at APA. We have been with APA since the day they opened their first school. My 8th grade daughter was hesitant to leave her neighborhood jr high school. She came home after the first day and announced that she never wanted to go back to her old school. She had a marvelous time. She was able to fill in some academic gaps that come from being socially promoted. Our first grader, that year, was able to finally learn at the pace that he was able, as opposed to being forced to learn at the pace of the slowest student in the class. He was challenged at every grade and is now thriving as a Junior in our nearby high school. Our last child started at APA in kindergarten. She received the help she needed in smaller break out groups, particularly Math. We are sad that they have expanded so quickly. It seems like they are trying to be everything to everybody, and sometimes the students pay the price for the ensuing chaos. It's true, there are lots of family members hired, but that hasn't particularly affected my kids. It's not for everyone, but that is the beauty of school choice! We love APA.

American Preparatory Academy of Draper
12892 South Pony Express Rd, Draper, UT  84020
Last modified American Preparatory Academy of Draper is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Preparatory Academy of Draper Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 50 reviews. Top