Posted July 24, 2014
One of my favorite things about this school is that it places emphasis on being a person of good character. Traits such as honesty, dependability, helping others in need, and empathy are discussed and encouraged everday. They also provide reading, spelling, and math groups according to your child's level, either above or below grade level. They teach science, history, music, language arts nearly daily and I was impressed by the quality that these subjects were taught on. My first grader came home telling me about electrons and the Revolutionary War. They expect success and honesty without a military feel. They have high expectations for the children and they are often met with fun cheers and competitions. They require and love Parent involvement. Parents are encouraged to come and observe classroom teaching at anytime and they require 20 hours of parent volunteering throughout the year. Much of what makes the school a fun place to be is the Parent Organizations and volunteering. I would recommend this school to anyone wanting a school that demands your child to become their best self.

Posted June 22, 2014
I want to address the negative reviews from the 2 supposablty students who accuse APA of the most pro posteriors accusations and falasies. First I go to the school all the time and I have never witnesses teacher being cruel to the students. I have a feeling the two students that felt the need to complain and make false accusations is because they probably were asked to leave our APA. If the parents aren't involved or the child is a bully and is disrespectful to the other students and teachers and this behavior does not stop , APA and APA parents feel like the children would be better else where. Our school is 99.9 percent of students and teachers and parents who are fully dedicated to service, helping others, education and collage perpetration. If students who like to bully, tease and make fun of other stundents., well they do not belong at APA. The parents and teachers here give everything they have to give our children and students balance, security, social tools and academic habits that will benefit them for the rest of our students lives. I wonder if the parents of the kids last reviews were aware of their accusations.

Posted June 10, 2014
APA is a stellar school. My 5th grader has been at a different school every year due to moves and placements in gifted programs, and APA is hands-down the best school he has ever attended. I love the break out groups that cater to each child's needs and abilities. It requires a lot of parental involvement and is academically very rigorous, so it may not be for everyone, but if you want your child to get a real education (which is shockingly hard to find in my experience!), APA is the place for you. We love it!

American Preparatory Academy of Draper 1

Posted May 18, 2014
APA is the worst school I have ever been to in my life. Having been a student I know how little the teachers care for the students, giving us less than 10 min of lunch on some days, giving kids so much homework that they will be doing homework until after 9 pm, and punishing us with making us go to school on a Saturday if you don't do well enough. APA will teach you the same stuff that all the other schools teach you, while yelling and lecturing you at the same time. The teachers don't care, the homework is insane, and the work they expect you to do in order to get a C average is over the top tyrannical. If you miss so much as one day they will make you do all the homework you missed and the homework that you get normally with the time limit of one day. Do not send your kids here, If you do they will never be happy until school is out. And when summer finally gets here they will give you TWO summer packets with enough problems in them to make you spend three hours a day trying to get it done. The school wont give your children very much homework until seventh grade, after that they will make your child look like a pack horse until you gradate. Do not send your children here.

American Preparatory Academy of Draper 2

Posted January 01, 2014
As a former student at this school, I am shocked at how well this school is viewed by parents. I went to this school for 6 years. I did well, I got smarter. The disciplinary actions taken by teachers were entirely unrealistic, but I dealt with that. This year, I transfered to a different school, and I realized how terrible APA really is. Most teachers are unqualified. Disciplinary actions range from losing lunchtime to being sent home. Many teachers there, especially elementary teachers, believe in a "5 minute lunchtime". They teach through lunchtime and then tell the kids, "Well, it's your fault you only have 5 minutes to eat". Teachers are derogatory and cruel. My cousin, who is visually impaired, had a 3rd grade teacher who swore at him and called him names to get his attention. That teacher is now a dictator, I mean director, at this school. This school teaches kids information by forcing it down their throats. I now do competitive math and seek to complete in an international competition in the next 2 years. Had I stayed at this school, I would have never had the time or motivation to learn as much as I need to on my own to do this. This school is really terrible

Posted January 01, 2014
I am happy we were able to prepare our student so well that he/she is able to participate in math contests! Our teachers are qualified and are required to meet the same requirements as teachers at all other public schools in Utah. We have no record of any teacher swearing at a disabled child and we invite anyone with information on that issue to bring it to our attention as we will address it immediately, just as we work to address any issue that arises.

Posted November 21, 2013
I could not feel more blessed to have found APA and have my child attend! From the attention to character building, to the rigorous academics, to instilling pride in our American history, to the delight over parent involvement--this school is extraordinary!! I feel like we're in a loving family and I know they have my child's back when it comes to issues that may arise with peers or schoolwork. They want their students to truly be their BEST selves! They instill confidence with encouragement! I cannot stop bragging about APA!

Posted October 24, 2013
We have had a really good experience with our kids at APA. We have been with APA since the day they opened their first school. My 8th grade daughter was hesitant to leave her neighborhood jr high school. She came home after the first day and announced that she never wanted to go back to her old school. She had a marvelous time. She was able to fill in some academic gaps that come from being socially promoted. Our first grader, that year, was able to finally learn at the pace that he was able, as opposed to being forced to learn at the pace of the slowest student in the class. He was challenged at every grade and is now thriving as a Junior in our nearby high school. Our last child started at APA in kindergarten. She received the help she needed in smaller break out groups, particularly Math. We are sad that they have expanded so quickly. It seems like they are trying to be everything to everybody, and sometimes the students pay the price for the ensuing chaos. It's true, there are lots of family members hired, but that hasn't particularly affected my kids. It's not for everyone, but that is the beauty of school choice! We love APA.

Posted September 26, 2013
My 6th grade daughter just started at APA and its been 4 weeks and I see a complete turn around in her where school and grades are concerned. She loves her school and I love that she is learning so much more because of the way they teach and I never fight with her over homework. She is also learning manners and music, playing an instrument is required for 6th graders, which is a great plus for me! I love this school and would recommend it!

American Preparatory Academy of Draper 1

Posted August 05, 2013
I have to completely agree with the former teacher that posted. I worked at APA, but quit because of all the same reasons mentioned. The administration (particularly the director) is narrow-minded, plays favorites, and anyone who disagrees is run out of town. Hopefully, by cleaning house and truly adhering to their ideals there may be hope for APA...but with the current administration, that will never happen.

American Preparatory Academy of Draper
12892 South Pony Express Rd, Draper, UT  84020
Last modified American Preparatory Academy of Draper is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Preparatory Academy of Draper Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 48 reviews. Top