614 students|Davis District

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)

East Layton School 1

Posted September 18, 2015
My daughter was put in a class of 38 students to 1 teacher for her first semester of 1st grade. Before school started, we went to look at class lists and noticed her teacher's title was "staff." They should have found a teacher prior to the actual start of the school year. What they did instead, was divide the "staff" class between the other 1st grade teachers. My daughter was put in a class with 37 other students and was taught by one teacher for half day and another the other half. Then switched after Christmas break, when they FINALLY hired someone. She is now in 2nd grade and in a class of 29 students to 1 teacher. In Kindergarten, my daughter was assigned a teacher, then changed 2 weeks into the school year. This year, they offered "space available bus applications," after they reduced the school bus routes. I know of only one family who was approved. We were not. My barely 7 year old has to cross the road 6 times JUST to be able to stay on the side-walk during the 1.1 mile walk to school. Terrible school. I can't decide if it's the administration at the school or if it's a district problem, but I'm quite certain it's administration at East Layton because I did not have ANY problems when my older children attended Clinton Elementary. I also find it odd that last year, the student government was chosen by faculty/administration and consisted mostly of students whose parents were in the PTO. East Layton Elementary is terrible.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted September 18, 2015
They are certainly persistent that most of their learning be done in the form of homework not done at school

Develops empathy: Disagree

Posted September 18, 2015
I requested a speech therapist assess my Kindergartner. When I followed up, her teacher said yes & everything is fine... Fast forward one year... Full assessment (as she has struggled) with resource AND speech and there was in fact, "red flags." Oddly, there was no record that a speech therapist even spoke to her in Kindergarten. Her teacher brushed my concerns off and flat out lied to me.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted September 18, 2015
My 6th grader applied for Student Government last year. She came home and said that faculty/administration chose. Oddly, most of the Student Government chosen happened to be daughters of PTO members.

Posted August 28, 2013
We love East Layton Elementary! We've attended this school for 4 years and have had awesome teachers every year! There are a few who could retire but the majority of them are very good educators. Our daughter was accepted into the spectrum program and we passed it up because of the fantastic teacher she will have this year. The community/parent involvement in this school is phenomenal, helping with extra funding for school enhancements and activities. The only problems we've seen with the school is the parking/driving situation and the walking track. They've promised solutions, but never followed through with them. They really need to come up with a plan for the parking lot. The other thing that was promised was a walking track that we have yet to see.

Posted July 25, 2013
We had a great play and choir last year. They are trying to start a language club next year. Parents are very involved. Most of the teachers are awesome.

Posted June 05, 2011
We love East Layton! We have a great community and faculty. Makes for a great combination!

Posted June 05, 2010
I couldn't be happier with this school and the teachers. Both my children started here in kindergarten and both were qualified and accepted into the gifted/talented program--and it's NOT because I work with them at home. It's the loving teachers and awesome principal who have made this school an amazing place to be. My children couldn't be happier or more eager to learn!! I'm very glad I chose my neighborhood school over the private schools.

Posted November 19, 2009
My children have atended East Layton for the past 6 years and they love it. Even with cutbacks from the school district, East Layton has made up for the them in other areas. The school has a high rate of parent envolvement and extra activities that encourages Spanish, Math and Reading. The PTO has raised enough money to have the children go on field trips. The teachers are caring and supportive and listen to the concerns of the parent. Every year the school has a questionaire and addresses the suggestions and concerns that are written. I personally have witnessed a few changes that I and my children have suggested. That makes me feel good as a parent that my concerns and suggestions are addressed.

Posted November 16, 2009
Love the principle, the teachers and the staff. Have not had one concern in the 3 years my son has been going there. They have worked with him on each subject and level that he is on, not what the class should be at. he is excelling academically! I have him in a private school before deciding to put him in e. layton. - e layton far beyond meets my expectations. communication is great!!! The parent volunteer rate is very high. not sure if some of the adults are staff members or parents - it is wonderful!

2470 East Cherry Ln, East Layton, UT  84041
Last modified East Layton School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.