Lone Peak High School

Public | 9-12

Posted January 4, 2014

I have one son that gratuated from Lone Peak and another son at Lone Peak. We have found Lon Peak to be a very outstanding school. My son took many AP classes and passed the AP exams. He also scored very high on the ACT exam. He struggled with learning prior to going into high school.

Posted June 17, 2011

I attended Lone Peak for my entire high school career and I would have to say it was pretty disappointing. If you click one tab over from the reviews and look at the Test Scores and Stats you will see what I mean. If you want your child to do well in anything math related (engineering, science, etc.), Lone Peak (or Utah for that matter) is not recommended. I had straight A's throughout high school and then I entered my first year in college and got a C in my first and second math class. I had to spend hours teaching myself basic math because the program at Lone Peak was completely inadequate and way too easy! There were some awesome teachers though, especially the photography and physics teachers, they showed true interest in their student's education. Lastly, the academics were definitely placed well behind the athletics. The school had a "world class" weight-room but a completely understocked and underfunded library when I was there. For any student interested in doing a little research and study on their own, Lone Peak was not a very accommodating school. In summary, math was weak and liberal arts were strong. Many kids go to college with scholarships but lose them very fast!

Posted August 17, 2010

My oldest two boys went to Lone Peak and both were accepted into BYU. I couldn't be happier. They loved Lone Peak. It is an exciting atmosphere of high enthusiasm. The school is beautiful. Inspiring quotes are painted on the hallway walls. The kids are clean cut and smart. It is a safe, pleasant environment of learning. I've attended graduation ceremonies twice. The amount of money received for college scholarships is dizzying as is the percentage of kids who get accepted into good colleges.

Posted April 7, 2010

We couldn't be happier with this school. The academic standard is very high, and there is a spirit of value for all students that seems to be missing from many high schools. I have yet to encounter an unreasonable staff member. Everyone from teachers to administrators to students to other parents will bend over backward to help. I feel my daughter is so very fortunate to get the many excellent teachers in her education, (like, English Shauna McPherson, Mathematics Vicki Lyons, Biology Robert Louder and History Scott Birrell) indeed a luxury at most public schools these days. There is an overwhelming sense of pride among the students, staff and parents. We are so fortunate to be a part of this fabulous school!

Posted January 30, 2010

We moved in from California this year and have been extremely impressed by this school. The majority of the teachers are quality educators and have tried hard to help our kids in all aspects of their education. Mr. Rees and Mrs. Wright are wonderful human beings that really do care about the kids, but also care about what the kids learn in their classroom. These are the kinds of people I want my children to emulate. I struggle a little with the administration, but my kids hardly interact with them, so we are thrilled to live in this area, and to have our students graduate from Lone Peak.

Posted December 3, 2009

Lone Peak is the best thing that has ever happened to me. If you are an optimistic person you would be able to see all the great things about it. The teachers are great and they are willing to help whenever they need to and the students are so spirited and nice I LOVE IT!

Posted August 10, 2009

I am entering my Junior year at Lone Peak and I love it! The teachers are great and the principals are very involved with the students. Also, my counsoler Mrs. Page is amazing!

Posted July 12, 2009

Lone Peak is a great school! I have been thoroughly impressed by most of the teachers. We moved in from California and our kids have really enjoyed working with teachers like Mr. Carpenter, Mrs. Wright, and Mr. Telford. They have high standards, yet try to help each student as best they can. They have great sports programs and work hard to maintain a positive atmosphere for all students. Lone Peak has won numerous State Championships in not only athletics, but in numerous fine arts areas as well. While it isn't perfect, it is definitely a school that my kids will continue to attend. They are getting a good education while learning to become better human beings in the process.

Posted April 27, 2009

I've been attending Lone Peak for the last 3 years, and I can honestly say I am amazed at how wonderful it has been. There are some truly great teachers, and the athletics program is top notch. I've been involved with MANY different things during my high school career and have had a variety of experiences with the staff and students. Sure, you can find whatever you want here, whether positive or negative, but if you're looking for the positive, there is much to rave about. Going into Lone Peak, I was skeptical due to all the things I'd heard, but coming from one with actual experience at the school, I've loved everything about it.

Posted March 16, 2009

I just had to write after reading some of the recent reviews about Lone Peak High School. It's interesting to me how, when a school gets some positive recognition, there are those who have to tear it down. I am writing to respond to them. Although Lone Peak is not a perfect school, it is a very good one. I have had four children graduate from Lone Peak and two from another school in the same district. I believe that the expectations are higher at Lone Peak, the parent support better, teachers willing to work with parents, and the overall feeling at the school is positive. Yes, some kids, parents, teachers are difficult. This is true everywhere. But, at Lone Peak, each of my children had a great experience. They were all involved in different things - choir, drama, football, soccer, track, clubs, student council. Thanks, Lone Peak! You're great!

Posted March 14, 2009

My child, is a former student of Lone Peak High School. Former, because just before mid term of first quarter, I transferred him to American Fork. The difference between these two schools is dramatic. The environment at Lone Peak is intense, the teachers are difficult to work with and the students are unwelcoming. If your child is like mine, that is a good student but not popular, please reconsider before sending them to Lone Peak.

Posted March 12, 2009

I am a single mother who works all week to pay for a great education for her family of twelve. And I regret to inform all my readers that Lone Peak is not one bit World Class. The teachers are snooty, (except for Todd Vawdrey) and the administration works hard to achieve nothing. Move out of the boundaries, because Lone Peak is the worst. Go Dons! Take State!

Posted January 15, 2009

We just moved to Utah from Wisconsin and checked out many of the schools for our daughters before choosing Lone Peak. They have only been in school half a year but are really liking it and have been doing great! The teachers/coaches are fair/friendly and there is a sense of pride here that alot of schools are missing. We definatly made the right choice for daughters when we chose Lone Peak High School. P.S. No we are not Mormon and that was and has not even been an issue. All the people in Utah are EXTRA nice :)

Posted December 19, 2008

Very good school. Not perfect, but certainly among the very best in Utah.

Posted July 4, 2008

Lone Peak is a quality school with quality academics and extra-curricular programs. My children have benefited greatly from their time at this school. Mrs. Wright in the history department is amazing, Mrs. Woolsey in the English department is top notch, and Miss Johnson in the Music department is outstanding. Teachers like these have truly had a huge impact on all of my children, and I would be remiss if I did not share it. This truly is a 'world class' school.

Posted April 1, 2008

Lone Peak is indeed a 'World Class High School' I have had three sons graduate from the school. Each one has been active in different areas. Their sports programs are the best in the state. The drams, music, debate and dance teams are state or national champions year in and year out. Lone Peak is, without question, the best High School in Utah. The bar is definatly set high at this institution. We moved out of the boundary last year and rather than send my child to a neighboring inferior public institution I paid for tuition to a private school. If you can't afford a house in the Lone Peak boundary then plan on paying tuition to get an excelent education comparable to what you would receive at this institution.

Posted March 17, 2008

Lone Peak is a great environment for everyone. Many advanced placement courses are offered and the teachers have high passing rates for all of them. I have never felt afraid for my welfare ever out of the three years I have attended this school and I can't imagine graduating any where elsze.

Posted October 12, 2007

teachers are good, there is a variety of classes to take, but as far as the students they aren't exactly the most outgoing and welcoming students.

Posted September 24, 2007

It's a wonderful school! This is the only school I know that provides the students so many languages to learn such as Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Italian and Russian. Great faculty!

Posted October 14, 2006

It's the quality of the student-body that makes this school so great. On the whole, these are some pretty amazing kids, and the school is pretty solid all around.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 87% in 2013.

788 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 86% in 2013.

711 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 40% in 2013.

626 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 40% in 2010.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

311 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 58% in 2013.

461 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 68% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 42% in 2013.

233 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 75% in 2013.

657 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 9%N/A48%

Teacher resources

Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• Swimming pool

• Dr. Chip Koop
Fax number
  • (801) 763-7064

Staff resources available to students
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama

School culture

• Parents are involved in the ptsa and school community council. they also participate in booster clubs and committees such as attendance and accreditation.