854 students|Alpine District

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Handles bullying effectively: Neutral

The bullying was kept to a minimum.

Supports LD students: Strongly disagree

The teachers have a one-mind way of addressing students who learn differently. They do not know how to deal with students who deviate or are different from the teachers stereotypical perception of how a child learns.

Effective school leaders: Strongly disagree

The principal does not care about meeting with parents or responding to their emails.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

The teachers need to show respect before asking the students to be respectful. Students look up to their teachers. Thus, they emulate the respect, compassion, and integrity they receive from their teachers. The teachers in this school does not show any respect nor integrity.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Especially with the gifted program, the teacher is not very good and ineffective. She needs to learn more about kids with high learning behaviors and motivating them.

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

I am a proponent of homework, but I believe the amount of homework given are unnecessary.

Highland Elementary is the highest-rated school in the area. The teachers and principal are top-notch. Strong parental involvement. The Advanced Learning Lab (A.L.L.) program is amazing.

We moved here out of state when my oldest daughter was in 4th grade and we have been thrilled with the response from teachers, parents and the principal. I have one daughter still at school and 2 more starting soon. We would be heartbroken if we had to change schools. I also love the early morning music program at the school my daughter and several of her friends are light years ahead of their peers because of this opportunity.

Four of my children have attended this school. Two still attend. There are several fabulous teachers here, but many of the great ones tend to leave and end up being replaced by mediocre teachers. Two of my children participated in the ALL program here, and I completely agree that it is not beneficial--no broader education/exploration--only more homework. The principal is completely "anti-parent," so if you end up needing to work with him, count on having to switch schools--because he absolutely will not consider a parent's opinion. I firmly believe that I should have some say about the situation my child is in for 7 hours every day--this principal does not.

This school has been a wonderful experience for my children. We moved to this school from out of state and the staff and teachers really took my children under their wing. Great programs and high test scores every year. The only problem we had was that there is an annoying small group of parents that try to control the curriculum and teachers too much. They just end up causing problems and making everyone else upset. My only suggestion if your children attend this school is that you get involved as a parent and see how wonderful the teachers here really are and not let those small minded individuals ruin the great things that are going on at Highland. My children will be better members of society for attending this school.

Last modified Highland School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.