854 students|Alpine District

Bad
Good

Highland Elementary is the highest-rated school in the area. The teachers and principal are top-notch. Strong parental involvement. The Advanced Learning Lab (A.L.L.) program is amazing.

We moved here out of state when my oldest daughter was in 4th grade and we have been thrilled with the response from teachers, parents and the principal. I have one daughter still at school and 2 more starting soon. We would be heartbroken if we had to change schools. I also love the early morning music program at the school my daughter and several of her friends are light years ahead of their peers because of this opportunity.

Four of my children have attended this school. Two still attend. There are several fabulous teachers here, but many of the great ones tend to leave and end up being replaced by mediocre teachers. Two of my children participated in the ALL program here, and I completely agree that it is not beneficial--no broader education/exploration--only more homework. The principal is completely "anti-parent," so if you end up needing to work with him, count on having to switch schools--because he absolutely will not consider a parent's opinion. I firmly believe that I should have some say about the situation my child is in for 7 hours every day--this principal does not.

This school has been a wonderful experience for my children. We moved to this school from out of state and the staff and teachers really took my children under their wing. Great programs and high test scores every year. The only problem we had was that there is an annoying small group of parents that try to control the curriculum and teachers too much. They just end up causing problems and making everyone else upset. My only suggestion if your children attend this school is that you get involved as a parent and see how wonderful the teachers here really are and not let those small minded individuals ruin the great things that are going on at Highland. My children will be better members of society for attending this school.

The Accelerated Learning Program (ALL) at this school is a waste of a child's time. Students are not allowed to go further ahead than their peers at their grade level and the 'widening of the curriculum' simply means more homework. Often the ALL teachers are extreme control personalities, not teachers that are enthusiastic and confidence builders. The school has lowered the bar academically. We are very disappointed that we left another school to come to this program at Highland.

3 of children have attended this school. I think 90% of the teachers are fabulous. The principal is a nice guy but probably needs to get rid of a couple teachers that are terrible. This school has awesome traditions--especially the annuall hawk walk fundraiser. It is a great learning atmosphere. Overall we have loved this school

Last modified Highland School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.