1,190 students|Alpine District

Bad
Good

January 2016. My oldest child began KG at Freedom in 2009. I currently have a 6th grader and 2nd grader. I am not from Utah and am a full time working mom. I have not experienced a feeling judgment or exclusion and have actually found there are several moms who work full or part time at the school (Including most of the teachers...) I also have not felt like there was a high turnover in teachers at all. A normal amount but nothing crazy. I am very involved at the school and friends with several of the teachers and they love being at this school and working with each other. My experience has been great with every teacher I've encountered and I feel like when teachers have left it's usually due to distance in travel to school, moving, or someone retiring or having a baby and when great teachers leave, amazing teachers have been brought in to replace them. We have a new principal and she is wonderful so there has been a continuation of great leadership at this school. Our old principal comes back to say hi from time to time and we love it. Each grade level works great as a team and works hard to provide a fun, challenging and successful curriculum for the children as well as in each individual classroom. My kids don't get as much help at home as suggested by another reviewer (socio economics... blah blah blah... the majority of the school is middle class, not above) Because I work full, I hate homework. The last thing I want to do is more work when we are all home together... so no, they don't get tons of extra help at home and I have 4 kids... they are all thriving in school and when they get a little behind (which they have) each teacher I've had has helped both my child to get back on track and communicated with me as a parent about how to best help my child. The Administration, parents and teachers are wonderful and work together to make an amazing school. There is always an exception to that rule... but 99% of the people are amazing.

Handles bullying effectively: Strongly agree

They have a zero tolerance policy in regards to bullying.

Supports LD students: Strongly agree

The current resource teacher, Mrs. Forbes, is AMAZING. One of the kindest, most compassionate, organized and wonderful teachers I have ever met.

Develops character: Strongly agree

This is one of my favorite things about the school! Service club is amazing, reading buddys etc. Very compassionate teachers who are teaching the kids to be the same way and offering opportunities for kids to serve.

Amount of homework: Agree

Each teacher varies slightly. I've been in the situation where my childs teacher is able to get all the work done in the classroom with the children and there is little to no homework (WHICH I LOVE) and in the situation where we have had such a heavy load of homework I've had to ask for more time to help my child complete it. In that situation the teacher was more than accommodating. She was also a working mom. Even though I'm a fan of no homework, other parents aren't and I know parents who have wished for more homework for their kids in a classroom where homework was light and the teacher was able to work with them to give their child extra work.

We recently moved to the area from northern Utah. My son has been attending 2nd grade in this school for about 2 months. He was receiving very good grades and learning very well at his school in Cache Valley. At Freedom, they are requesting he be placed in resource and given additional testing of his IQ based on incredibly strange "incidents" they have had with him (i.e inability to use a hand sanitizer bottle pump??)", inability to comprehend what he reads, and inability to complete 3-digit addition problems.... all of which he performs satisfactorily at home. At this point I feel the administration and teachers are extremely lazy, highly religiously biased, and a more than a little racist. Horrible experience so far. Hopefully, it improves in the next few months or I will enroll him elsewhere.

This is a great school. You can tell the teachers and staff really care about the kids. I love that they are big on technology, reading and math. They also have a great art program, music program and science program. There is an excellent line of communication from teachers to parents. The principal is great. He's friendly and seems to enjoy what he does. He just got the Elementary Principal of the Year award this year and is always looking for input on ways to improve the school in every way.

We attended two other schools before this one and have been thrilled with what Freedom has to offer. They really encourage technology very early in the school. My six grader gets her own laptop that she gets to take home. She was struggling in math and we took advantage of the once a week double dosing program that they have to offer. She is now testing in the high proficient range. In years past you could request teachers. Now you can request qualities that would best match your child's needed learning environment. My oldest who has attended Freedom since first grade is sailing through Jr. High with straight A's. By the way he thrived in the "Party" teacher's classroom where contest in multiplication and comic relief kept his interest and made him excited to go to school. The school is on an early bird/late bird program where the students come either an hour earlier or stay an hour later so the teachers have a smaller class size for math or literature. Freedom has a lot of parent involvement which enables more tutoring in class and a high quality of class ready students that attend. I have three children currently attending and they are all thriving!

This is a wonderful school! After seeing many schools out of UT, I can't believe how wonderful this school is! The administrator is wonderful and truly cares about the students and teachers. The teachers work very hard and stay current in education. We are now in Arizona, and the schools here are way behind UT, as far as curriculum goes. As long as Alpine School District remembers that kids need to learn math facts because math is an exact science, and continues to emphasize literacy and reading and writing, I don't think you could find a bad school in this district. Move out of Utah, to Arizona, and then you will really appreciate how hard the educators work in UT and what a school like this has to offer!

We have attended Freedom Elementary for 7 years now and I am disappointed to read some negative reviews! The Principal is outstanding. He stands outside on the curb every morning to welcome the kids to school and then is outside every afternnon as well, rain, shine, snow...every day. He is particular in which teachers he hires. Teachers are anxious and pleading to get hired at this school. With 5 children, over 7 years I can honestly say we've only had one teacher that I was disappointed in. The kids are taught well and test well. The school is a happy place, not chaotic! We moved during the last few years and I sent my kids to another school for one year, but quickly sent them back to Freedom.

Last modified Freedom School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.