Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Parent (1 response)

Grateful to: Parent

Posted January 22, 2016
Other parents who told me to take my child out of this school were right. Several parents ended up removing their children from this school for reasons similar to mine.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted January 22, 2016
Students are not held accountable for their actions. There is a real gender bias at this school, girls are treated very differently from boys.

Oquirrh Mountain Charter School 1

Posted January 22, 2016
Inexperienced teachers and poor teacher retention make this school somewhat of a circus with constant teacher rotation. Teachers are inattentive to student needs, and the principle is like a high school prom queen and not qualified to run the school. Office staff are condescending and make any request unnecessarily difficult. The school is seemingly run on a rewards system of candy, which my child is mostly allergic to. Despite frequent visits with the teacher and continuous education of his diet, she continued to give my child candy. I am so glad I removed my children from this school. They are getting a much better education with teachers that are experienced and who care and listen.

Oquirrh Mountain Charter School 1

Posted December 02, 2014
This school should be shut down. There is no safety present, the curriculum has been dumbed down and morale has declined. It does not belong in this or any other community.

Oquirrh Mountain Charter School 4

Posted January 14, 2014
I have been with the school long enough to see quite a few changes. Not all changes were good, not all were bad, but within this 2013-2014 school year, I can honestly say that most of the changes have been good for the school and good for the students. The administration has a firm view of what will help the students (and teachers) improve and progress forward. Are we concerned with test scores and data? Yes. What teacher/school/district/state isn't? It's true we adopted Reading Street this year, and although there was some grumbling about it in the beginning, it has been a GREAT, comprehensive program. We've never had a "reading program" and this is fabulous. From an educator's view, Spalding was not working for us. Admin had doors installed in the rotunda this year, and students and parents have to be buzzed in to enter the school now. It's wonderful! You will not find a hard working team of educators and support personnel to work with your student. Give Jefferson Academy a try, and become a part of an EDUCATIONAL COMMUNITY, not just a school. You may not like everything we do, but you can be sure we bust our tails to give our students the very best we can give!

Oquirrh Mountain Charter School 2

Posted October 08, 2013
Is not what it once was. The American history and citizenship emphasis is gone. The students get just the basic history curriculum mandated by the state. But there are several Theater and Drama classes to choose from in the Junior HIgh! They have also swallowed Common Core curriculum hook, line and s[t]inker. No more Spalding, hello Reading Street! They have also become much more focused on scores than on learning. Hence, the curriculum dumb downs. My favorite..at Back to School Night the direcotr says that student safety is their number focus. So they spend money on access controlled side doors, but the front doors can be walked right through and if the secretaries are busy, right into the school. The best part about the safety emphasis is the lack of a crossing guard. So, the school is now unprotected just as before from any sort of intruder, the admins have reserved parking and repainted offices, there is 2 new sets of interior doors, yet no way to help the children cross a busy street twice daily? The school had its issues, but now it just seems like any other school in many respects, and worse than average since they lie about being an History & Citizenship school.

Posted February 21, 2013
We went to Oquirrh Mtn after homeschooling for a year and absolutely loved it. The parents are very involved and teachers plan all sorts of great activities for the kids to help them with what they are learning! My kids were challenged and learned so much, I would recommend this to school to anyone!

Oquirrh Mountain Charter School 4

Posted June 07, 2012
I am a homeschool mom but two of my children really wanted to try "school". I homeschool with a emphasis on American History so this school intrigued me. When I walked in I was very imressed at the pictures of the founding fathers on the wall and our founding documents. Also the three pillars that are the school's focus are displayed which are Moral excellency, Citizenship and Scholarship. Every Monday morning students were recognized in an assembly who demonstrated those qualites. I also liked the opportunity to be in team sports where you do not have to be pro. to make the team. The school tries to have a variety of experiences for the students. Last month they had thy BYU full folk team come and perform. It was awesome! My eight grade daughter was sick of her jr. high school because of the materialism so I loved the uniforms, she also hated the books with tons of swearing that was in them at the other school, so when she switched over we were glad that this school is more cautious with the books that the kids are assigned to read. The principal and vice principal are awesome! They are men of moral excellency which is important to model for these kids.

Posted June 07, 2012
We are new to the area. For three months my daughter sat alone at lunch and had no friends at her jr. high. It was very sad. I talked her in to trying Jefferson academy(oquirrh mt). She walked in and people were coming up to her and asking her name. So she was happy. The Math was much higher than her jr. high. They use saxon which is what I love! But she had to devout about 2 hrs a night because it was much harder than her old school's math. However, she is now understanding math much better than she ever has and even getting A's on the tests! Because this is a new school I see that the elementary is more solid than the jr. high. The jr. high has a mix between nice kids that did not like the drama of their jr. high school to problem kids where their parents are trying to get them away from their problem friends. However, I believe every year there will be less and less problem kids because of the elementary kids that are returning and moving into the higher grades. That being said, you will have the same mix of problem kids at a regular school but this school has smaller classes, better focus on values, and better curriculum. So I still would choose this school.

Posted June 07, 2012
I was so impressed with this school this year. I was nervous because some people say that the board is out of control and they get rid of teachers left and right. however, isn't this one of the benefits of a charter school. If they hire a teacher and they see that they are not teaching in a manner that works for the focus of the school then they can replace them. In a regualar school they would let that teacher keep teaching for the next 30 yrs. while destroying children's self esteem and love of education. SO I have to say that I am happy that the board watches out for our kids. Not that I have seen "bad" teachers hired but just that the board has kids at the school and they want the best mentors that will teach the children moral excellency, scholorship and citenzship in a way that prepare theses kids to move the cause of liberty. That is why the school was created. I love that this school teaches latin and saxon math. I love the things that the kids get exposed to an a cultural level. I love the principal, secetaries, and vice principal. Mr. Finch is so positive, happy and involved. He even tap danced at the talent show last week. This is a great school. Very impressed.

1425 South Angel St, Kaysville, UT  84037
Last modified Oquirrh Mountain Charter School is a Charter school that serves grades K-9
Oquirrh Mountain Charter School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 31 reviews. Top