Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (3 responses)

My children have attended NDPA since the school has been open and this school is fantastic. The administration, support staff, teachers and teacher assistants have all been very supportive and willing to go the extra mile to make sure that the students get the best learning experience possible. The Spanish immersion program has been so helpful and you know that the children are learning great things when elementary children can have fluent conversations with other Spanish speakers.

This school is by far one of the best in Davis county. My kids went to this school for 5 years each and when they entered high school, they were years ahead. They are now in honors classes and taking concurrent enrollment. One of my coworkers, who I recommended the school to, wanted to know what school to take their kids to to prepare them for NUAMES and the NUAMES people told them NDPA. So if you want your child to be prepared for life, through academics and all of it, this school is the best.

Because I go here and it is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! This school makes me look forward to every day and they have an awesome library. The Spanish part of this school is magnificent!!!!!!! I love it!!!!!!! This school naturally has flaws, like any other school, but it is still amazing!!!!!!!

There are two areas that I have found to be worse than the other two elementary schools my children have attended. 1) Little to no teacher parent communication. At this school there are parent "class captains". These class captains send out all email communication from the teacher. Parents literally have no one-on-one direct communication from the teacher on a weekly basis at all. It is all done through a parent intermediary. At schools my children have attended in the past , I always had weekly (sometimes daily) emails from the teachers and I felt like I could always contact my teacher and knew what was going on in the classroom. In this school, I have felt completely out of the loop on all four of my children's classes. In addition, your children have two teachers, and only one class captain that is sometimes shared with other classes, so you have no communication even with a parent who is in your child's class. I don't understand why the teachers cannot just write an email to the parents instead of writing an email to the class captains to then write to the rest of the parents. 2) HUGE class sizes. All of my children are in classes with over 28+ children. The teacher of one of my children's classes just told me that she has 10 ADHD kids in her and only two are medicated. This I feel is unfair to not only the students, but also the teacher. Huge classrooms with imbalanced needs of kids ends up hurting learning. NDPA needs to know better. I can't believe my children are in classrooms where they can't learn to their highest potential due to an administration that refuses to adequately balance classrooms and hiring.

Wow! I cannot say enough good things about this charter school & staff...they are the best the of Utah state has to offer. I love Mrs. Billings the VP..she is friendly, always helpful. She truly cares about the students. I have witnessed her sitting on the floor of the hallways working in small groups, teaching children how to read. I have never worked with a vice principal who is trained in Orton gillingham method and takes such detailed interest in the success of her students. The resource staff are caring, educated and hard working. They work with students, taking their expertise and parental suggestion seriously. They work as a team with the parent, student, resource staff and teachers...unlike any school my children have attended prior to NDPA. Toni in resource is on top of her game...if she doesn't know the answer, she is researching, asking questions and goes above and beyond what is required of a resource teacher. My child attended a local public school prior to NDPA and struggled academically with dyslexia, his attitude towards learning and wanting to go to school...coping with his sld. Toni..in a matter of 6 months helped turn my sons educational path around. He is making A's in spelling, he is improving on his reading goals. He enjoys school more and most importantly..my son feels safe at this school. At my sons previous school in Davis county he was bullied by both his 1st grade teacher and classmates because of his sld / dyslexia. At NDPA, my child finally has the right iep team, and educators who work with parents to help their child succeed. I am so thrilled my children attend NDPA. With davis school district being known as one of the worst school districts in utah, NDPA is the exception in Davis county. They are the school you want your child to attend. Also, of note...Jean the receptionist at the school...is always friendly, knows each parent & student by name...she is part of what makes NDPA a great school.

My children attended NDPA when it was first started for several years. While the Spanish language immersion was a big challenge, when we moved and my children enrolled in regular public school, they were a full two years ahead of their peers in coursework - which spoke to how well NDPA's academic policies worked. Their program of helping children to succeed on an individual level was amazing.

After retiring from the U.S. Air Force in 2008, I was hired to start-up the North Davis Preparatory Academy (NDPA) Athletic Department for grades 6-9 and to develop and teach the Health & P.E. Curriculum. After several years as a full-time teacher, coach, and athletic director, I have retired, but I continue to substitute teach. The Administration, Faculty, and Staff all are exceptionally good. The students appear to be happy and challenged to learn. I think the faculty from Spain add to the learning experience for the students, and I am very impressed with the warm and supportive relationships that have developed among the teachers from Spain and the American teachers. I am proud to be associated with NDPA, a strong educational institution.

I was extremely shocked to see such high reviews for this school! When my children first started attending this school, I was thrilled with them. My children had been attending for years before this school quickly started deteriorating right before our eyes. My daughters experiences in 3rd grade were by far the worst experiences I have ever had with any school. We went to the assistant principal with issues concerning her teacher and teaching style of "picking" on certain children in the class in a very negative and derogatory manner. The assistant made excuses for this teacher telling us that she is new to the U.S and the teaching styles in her country allow this type of behavior. I informed her that this is the U.S. and unacceptable here. She never did a thing about this situation and my daughter deteriorated both academically and emotionally very quickly. I asked for my daughter to be removed from her class but was told this was my daughter trying to "run the show". Eventually the teacher physically hit my daughter with other students witnessing this. We asked these students and were told that the teacher grabbed her hard all the time and pushed her occasionally but this time she actually struck her!! We took this info to the assistant expecting her to act on this but once again she had the nerve to inform us that physical punishment was an acceptable form of discipline in her country. I was livid!!! I told her that she better quit making excuses for what this teacher is doing to students and fire her immediately before we brought in the authorities. What this teacher did was criminal and instead of acting on it, this school chose to condone and make excuses for their behavior. She then tried to place the blame back on my daughter stating that she has had nothing but problems this year. I stated all due to this monster. Nothing my daughter did or didn't do warranted this. I removed my children from this school that day. I informed her that if they don't to hold their teachers liable for illegal they were going to grant their own demise. Had the assistant actually listened to our concerns and acted on them we may have been satisfied with that. If this monster did this to my daughter, how many other children suffered at her hands while the assistant principal did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO STOP IT!!! Be afraid.......BE VERY AFRAID!!

This used to be a really great school. But they grew too fast and they keep teachers that should be replaced. Student count has grown to be the same as public schools in some cases. Teachers are starting to become entitled and not an advocate for students. After researching schools around the city. There are better programs in the regular school districts and better teachers. I gave the teacher quality a 3, but there are some that are a 2 and some that are a 4-5. But I feel the 4-5's are becoming complacent and shifting to 3's.

Amazing school that will challenge your student. What I love about NDPA is the Immersion Program. Students are taught math and science (some other subjects) in Spanish starting in 1st grade. When you walk into the classroom the students are conversing with each other and the teacher in Spanish. I love it. The teachers treat each student as a individual and can challenge those students who need more. I've noticed that NDPA is very committed to teaching students to think deeply and more critically. I agree with some of the other reviews that as far as expectations and environment, NDPA is more like a private school. The administration takes the time to work through conflicts with the students like you would in your own family. They spend the time to understand the root of the problem and work with the students involved to form a solution. If you are a parent who is looking for Spanish Immersion, want your students to be challenged, and understand that today's students need more practice at solving life's problems then NDPA will be a perfect fit for your family.

Last modified North Davis Preparatory Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.