Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I am a sophomore right now and my experiences at this school were great! 7th grade was definitely a harder year but my 8th and 9th grade years were great because they got rid of the old administration and the uniforms. There were definitely teachers that students didn't like but honestly, what school doesn't have those kind of teachers? The new administration made a huge difference. I only had them my 9th grade year but by that time, they had already made a huge difference. Everyone knows that North Layton is definitely not the nicest school around, but the administration did many things to improve it just by some very small renovations. I could tell that their main focus throughout that year was to encourage good grades. They rewarded students with no F's and even took those with a GPA higher than a 2.0 to a movie! The new administration was very caring and if you had a problem with one of the teachers or another student, they would do everything they could to help you out. You can tell that they try to get to know each student. For example, throughout lunch, they would sometimes walk around in the commons and talk to some of the groups of students. They would laugh with you and talk to you and really show you that they care. I felt like I mattered to them in my 9th grade year. They really helped me make my last year of Jr. High memorable (in a good way.)

Develops character: Strongly disagree

See my main post. It explains everything. This school is a complete joke. That is my opinion

Well the uniforms are gone and the students are happy about that. My son is an awesome student and tries really hard to keep his grades up to A's and B's. The teachers at NLJH make it really hard for students to get their makeup work and they are really bad at getting papers graded. My son gets in trouble for bad grades and when the reason behind it is that teachers are not grading the work turned in posses a huge problem. He grade can go from an A to an F just because the teacher doesn't feel like grading assignments on time. The faculty at NLJH need to focus on punctuality. Also, the Athletics department need to be investigated. It is almost impossible to get on the volleyball and basketball teams because they rarely add any new athletes. If you don't know them from church or from scouts the coaches really won't give you a second look. This school is horrible and I can't wait for it to be over.

Absolutely worst school I have ever had my children attend. our children are allowed to fail every class with out getting punishment by the school or teachers. They do not make sure education is first they focus on religion and allowing the students to "go off campus" to the church even though they said kids are not allowed off campus. My son and daughter where told by numerous students that if they read the bible in class like the other kids did that god would save them. Big thing is that you have to pay to register your child to go to school and its $90 then every class your child is in there is a fee and the district and school charge parents for the same stuff so they double dip. You pay a transportation fee, special education fee, general fees, book rental fees and you pay twice once to the district and once to the school oh and a school directory fee and a fund raising fee. Even if your children dont use any of those you still have to pay and the fees get more expensive when your child gets to high school here in Utah. Please do not send your kids to this school.

I know a lot of people don't like the uniform but it makes me feel like my kids are safe and focused on learning. To the people who complain about being sent to the office for wearing the wrong color...don't wear the wrong color and you will have all of the positive attention and help that you will need. I love the free after school opportunities like tutoring, free computer lab use, and now they even have a 4:30 bus so that my kids can stay longer to get more help when they need it. This year the school got a bunch of student iPads and my kids come home so excited about what they are learning and doing in school. I can't afford to buy my kids an iPad so I'm so happy that they get to use the best technology at school. Not sure about the screaming comment that was made earlier. I volunteer at the school once a week and I think the students are more well behaved than other schools we have attended.

I am the youngest of three. My siblings went to nljh. I'm not going to lie, we all hated it. Uniforms? I mean come on! No other school in the district has uniforms. My family doesn't have a lot of money, to go buy me two wardrobes. One uniform and another for after school. A pair of Kaki pants are at least $20-$25 at old navy. On the last week of my 9th grade year I got sent down to ISS for wearing a uniform colored cardigan. My teachers throughout the whole year told me it was okay. The principal sent me to ISS to change instead of letting me go back to class. My mother had to come check me out of school so I could go home and change. The only good thing about that school is a few teachers. Made a lot of friends though.

I really don't mind the dress code, but it is a joke when there are bigger problems. I see the benefit in having a student body dressed to look a little more professional than they would otherwise, but when the students are allowed to run around, scream and screech in the school, and act like they've never had a lesson in public behavior, the dress code seems silly. If you are a military family transferring in, in the middle of the year, I would think about homeschooling just until the next year. Unless you're able to secure your child a spot in another school, that is.

This school is terrible. they care more about what we wear than how we are doing with our classes. I was confronted about my grey button up shirt and how it wasn't the right color. If they got rid of the dress code then the teachers would focus more on helping the students with any struggles that they have. I had straight A's in the first semester but now since i don't get any help at all from any of the teachers i am failing every class that i am taking. they need to start helping the students out more. worst three years of my life.

Its a horrible school. They do not even care if your child is failing their classes they are to concerned about the uniform. I think the uniform is very stupid and they should just get rid of it. I am even thinking about moving my son to central davis junior high.

North Layton Junior High is a mess. I am one of many parents who have openly discussed our bad experiences with the school during the three years our children attended. One parent even withdrew her child to home school her because of how bad it is. They are more concerned with what shade of green your child wears to school than if they are failing a class. There is NO communication to parents, the administration treats students like prisoners and are outwardly unprofessional when speaking with parents. I am hoping like crazy that another school opens or that NLJH has been revamped before my 2nd grader reaches 7th grade..

Last modified North Layton Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.