Layton, UT

Posted August 04, 2013
Absolutely worst school I have ever had my children attend. our children are allowed to fail every class with out getting punishment by the school or teachers. They do not make sure education is first they focus on religion and allowing the students to "go off campus" to the church even though they said kids are not allowed off campus. My son and daughter where told by numerous students that if they read the bible in class like the other kids did that god would save them. Big thing is that you have to pay to register your child to go to school and its $90 then every class your child is in there is a fee and the district and school charge parents for the same stuff so they double dip. You pay a transportation fee, special education fee, general fees, book rental fees and you pay twice once to the district and once to the school oh and a school directory fee and a fund raising fee. Even if your children dont use any of those you still have to pay and the fees get more expensive when your child gets to high school here in Utah. Please do not send your kids to this school.

North Layton Jr High School 5

Posted July 26, 2013
I know a lot of people don't like the uniform but it makes me feel like my kids are safe and focused on learning. To the people who complain about being sent to the office for wearing the wrong color...don't wear the wrong color and you will have all of the positive attention and help that you will need. I love the free after school opportunities like tutoring, free computer lab use, and now they even have a 4:30 bus so that my kids can stay longer to get more help when they need it. This year the school got a bunch of student iPads and my kids come home so excited about what they are learning and doing in school. I can't afford to buy my kids an iPad so I'm so happy that they get to use the best technology at school. Not sure about the screaming comment that was made earlier. I volunteer at the school once a week and I think the students are more well behaved than other schools we have attended.

North Layton Jr High School 3

Posted June 20, 2013
I am the youngest of three. My siblings went to nljh. I'm not going to lie, we all hated it. Uniforms? I mean come on! No other school in the district has uniforms. My family doesn't have a lot of money, to go buy me two wardrobes. One uniform and another for after school. A pair of Kaki pants are at least $20-$25 at old navy. On the last week of my 9th grade year I got sent down to ISS for wearing a uniform colored cardigan. My teachers throughout the whole year told me it was okay. The principal sent me to ISS to change instead of letting me go back to class. My mother had to come check me out of school so I could go home and change. The only good thing about that school is a few teachers. Made a lot of friends though.

Posted May 20, 2013
I really don't mind the dress code, but it is a joke when there are bigger problems. I see the benefit in having a student body dressed to look a little more professional than they would otherwise, but when the students are allowed to run around, scream and screech in the school, and act like they've never had a lesson in public behavior, the dress code seems silly. If you are a military family transferring in, in the middle of the year, I would think about homeschooling just until the next year. Unless you're able to secure your child a spot in another school, that is.

Posted April 30, 2013
This school is terrible. they care more about what we wear than how we are doing with our classes. I was confronted about my grey button up shirt and how it wasn't the right color. If they got rid of the dress code then the teachers would focus more on helping the students with any struggles that they have. I had straight A's in the first semester but now since i don't get any help at all from any of the teachers i am failing every class that i am taking. they need to start helping the students out more. worst three years of my life.

Posted March 28, 2012
Its a horrible school. They do not even care if your child is failing their classes they are to concerned about the uniform. I think the uniform is very stupid and they should just get rid of it. I am even thinking about moving my son to central davis junior high.

Posted September 13, 2011
North Layton Junior High is a mess. I am one of many parents who have openly discussed our bad experiences with the school during the three years our children attended. One parent even withdrew her child to home school her because of how bad it is. They are more concerned with what shade of green your child wears to school than if they are failing a class. There is NO communication to parents, the administration treats students like prisoners and are outwardly unprofessional when speaking with parents. I am hoping like crazy that another school opens or that NLJH has been revamped before my 2nd grader reaches 7th grade..

Posted September 13, 2011
Horrible school. Parents need to step up and confront school board to make changes. Uniform rules and policies are beyond silly, no one cares if your child is failing, and there are no other options for kids in the area.

Posted September 13, 2011
I received calls when my kid wasn't wearing the right shade of color in her uniform, but NEVER got a call when she was struggling in her classes. Junior high is a big transitional period and kids often struggle. NLJH is an environment that makes this period even worse. Students are told that their grades don't count against them until they are in 9th grade, the staff never communicates with parents, and unless you are a family that is known well by the staff, you are dismissed and no one cares at all.

North Layton Jr High School 5

Posted July 22, 2011
What a great school! I have 2 kids attending this school. One with special needs, one on the honor roll. The teachers were very supportive, the office staff is very nice and helpful, and the principal, Mrs. Ashton, is great!

North Layton Jr High School
1100 West 2000 North, Layton, UT  84041
Last modified North Layton Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
North Layton Jr High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top