North Layton Junior High School

Public | 7-9 | 975 students

Sweep tile

Posted August 4, 2013

Absolutely worst school I have ever had my children attend. our children are allowed to fail every class with out getting punishment by the school or teachers. They do not make sure education is first they focus on religion and allowing the students to "go off campus" to the church even though they said kids are not allowed off campus. My son and daughter where told by numerous students that if they read the bible in class like the other kids did that god would save them. Big thing is that you have to pay to register your child to go to school and its $90 then every class your child is in there is a fee and the district and school charge parents for the same stuff so they double dip. You pay a transportation fee, special education fee, general fees, book rental fees and you pay twice once to the district and once to the school oh and a school directory fee and a fund raising fee. Even if your children dont use any of those you still have to pay and the fees get more expensive when your child gets to high school here in Utah. Please do not send your kids to this school.

Posted July 26, 2013

I know a lot of people don't like the uniform but it makes me feel like my kids are safe and focused on learning. To the people who complain about being sent to the office for wearing the wrong color...don't wear the wrong color and you will have all of the positive attention and help that you will need. I love the free after school opportunities like tutoring, free computer lab use, and now they even have a 4:30 bus so that my kids can stay longer to get more help when they need it. This year the school got a bunch of student iPads and my kids come home so excited about what they are learning and doing in school. I can't afford to buy my kids an iPad so I'm so happy that they get to use the best technology at school. Not sure about the screaming comment that was made earlier. I volunteer at the school once a week and I think the students are more well behaved than other schools we have attended.

Posted June 20, 2013

I am the youngest of three. My siblings went to nljh. I'm not going to lie, we all hated it. Uniforms? I mean come on! No other school in the district has uniforms. My family doesn't have a lot of money, to go buy me two wardrobes. One uniform and another for after school. A pair of Kaki pants are at least $20-$25 at old navy. On the last week of my 9th grade year I got sent down to ISS for wearing a uniform colored cardigan. My teachers throughout the whole year told me it was okay. The principal sent me to ISS to change instead of letting me go back to class. My mother had to come check me out of school so I could go home and change. The only good thing about that school is a few teachers. Made a lot of friends though.

Posted May 20, 2013

I really don't mind the dress code, but it is a joke when there are bigger problems. I see the benefit in having a student body dressed to look a little more professional than they would otherwise, but when the students are allowed to run around, scream and screech in the school, and act like they've never had a lesson in public behavior, the dress code seems silly. If you are a military family transferring in, in the middle of the year, I would think about homeschooling just until the next year. Unless you're able to secure your child a spot in another school, that is.

Posted April 30, 2013

This school is terrible. they care more about what we wear than how we are doing with our classes. I was confronted about my grey button up shirt and how it wasn't the right color. If they got rid of the dress code then the teachers would focus more on helping the students with any struggles that they have. I had straight A's in the first semester but now since i don't get any help at all from any of the teachers i am failing every class that i am taking. they need to start helping the students out more. worst three years of my life.

Posted March 28, 2012

Its a horrible school. They do not even care if your child is failing their classes they are to concerned about the uniform. I think the uniform is very stupid and they should just get rid of it. I am even thinking about moving my son to central davis junior high.

Posted September 13, 2011

North Layton Junior High is a mess. I am one of many parents who have openly discussed our bad experiences with the school during the three years our children attended. One parent even withdrew her child to home school her because of how bad it is. They are more concerned with what shade of green your child wears to school than if they are failing a class. There is NO communication to parents, the administration treats students like prisoners and are outwardly unprofessional when speaking with parents. I am hoping like crazy that another school opens or that NLJH has been revamped before my 2nd grader reaches 7th grade..

Posted September 13, 2011

Horrible school. Parents need to step up and confront school board to make changes. Uniform rules and policies are beyond silly, no one cares if your child is failing, and there are no other options for kids in the area.

Posted September 13, 2011

I received calls when my kid wasn't wearing the right shade of color in her uniform, but NEVER got a call when she was struggling in her classes. Junior high is a big transitional period and kids often struggle. NLJH is an environment that makes this period even worse. Students are told that their grades don't count against them until they are in 9th grade, the staff never communicates with parents, and unless you are a family that is known well by the staff, you are dismissed and no one cares at all.

Posted July 22, 2011

What a great school! I have 2 kids attending this school. One with special needs, one on the honor roll. The teachers were very supportive, the office staff is very nice and helpful, and the principal, Mrs. Ashton, is great!

Posted February 22, 2011

This school has a lot of fun clubs and after school activities. It seems like almost every day on the announcements they tell us about a new club, from Writing, to Science Olympiad, to Magic the Gathering, a card game. These clubs help to really get the students involved in school, which makes the school good.

Posted September 29, 2010

Having uniforms was okay but trying to find clothes that fit it was very difficult since it is color-code not set clothes. There were a few teachers that really ruined the 9th grade for my child. Very nit-picky about her clothes but letting others get away with the same colors/styles. Some teachers were split teaching at two or three other schools in the district so there were many days that they wouldn't show up to teach their class until it was nearly over. At least twice a week anyway. Was very disappointed with parent/teacher contact as well. Office clerks were very short and snippy too. Overall... there are much better schools out there.

Posted March 9, 2010

My boys attend this school and we have experienced excellent teacher involvement, faculty and principal support and outstanding safety and discipline measures are always followed and maintained.

Posted June 19, 2009

I really think it's not a smart idea to put the 9th grade with a 7th and 8th. My son and daughter have both had to go through this school and didn't like it at all. Horrible programs and no sports are available for them to play.

Posted January 31, 2009

This school is horrible. The teachers did not help me at all and the principal is creepy. No one she ever attend this school. IF you want a horrible 3 years send your child here.

Posted August 20, 2008

My daughter attends this school on a varience. It has excellent programs and helps students adjust to Junior High by realizing the potential and not placing a focus on the negative. They know all of the students by name and treat them with respect. The teachers are great and the administration acts like they enjoy their jobs and want to be there. It is worth the drive every day.

Posted February 28, 2008

I think this is a good school and a good learning environment.

Posted May 14, 2007

I am currently going to this school, and I LOVE IT! The teachers are great and are willing to stay after school and help you with anything. The Principle is really nice, he gets know everyone in the school. The after school activities are really great like scrapbooking,track, basketball, book clubs etc... We wear uniforms, I think it unifies the school. The consolers are really great! They really help you with your grades when there down, and when you need to talk they are there to talk. This school is really great I recommend it!

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2013.

300 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

304 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

290 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

n/a

n/a
Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

289 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

318 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 56% in 2010.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 67% in 2010.

Asian 3% 2%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 36%N/A38%
Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Nurse(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • Gym
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

Foreign languages taught
  • German
  • Spanish

Staff resources available to students
  • Nurse(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
Transportation options

• Orchestra

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

1100 West 2000 North