Public charter
Marriott-Slaterville City, UT

Posted September 03, 2013
I had not heard of a "School of expeditionary Learning", until last year. I wish I knew about this type of learning when my Daughter was in First Grade. She is now in the Ninth Grade, and after one year in this style of learning, she has gone from just average test scores to perfect test scores. She loves to go to school. There are less that 25 Students per class. It's more about hands on learning, than just read, take notes, write reports, take a test. I could go on & on at how great this School is, but go look for yourself and you decide. I bet you put your Child on the waiting list to get in.

Posted June 10, 2013
We were fortunate to get our child into this school after concluding that the local schools were not an option for the needs at hand. Through Early Intervention through the school district, they did a fantastic job of teaching both us and our child skills that has improved all of us. However, were told at age 4 that our child would never be fully integrated into regular classes, that there would always be the need for "Special Ed." I feel that if we had stayed with the standard public education, that's exactly where he would be today. Years later our child has no special needs and is near top of the class in both reading and math. I contribute this success to the Expeditionary Learning style as well as caring teachers and staff who are led by one of the greatest directors. Proof is while many charter schools are begging for enrollment, Venture has parents waiting for years to enroll their children.

Posted June 04, 2013
I love Venture. I have loved the teachers very much and I love the Expeditionary Learning style. The parent involvement is amazing and I feel the overall leadership of the school is great too. I love that as a parent I can be very involved with my children and their education. They expect parent volunteers and welcome and value their opinions, not something that I had a good experience with at my last school. The teachers are great to work with and they communicate very well. The Math is a very rigorous program and I love that they push the students who need to be pushed and they are very understanding with ones who need more time. They also really allow the kids to own their education, they really truly teach the kids how to learn and not what to learn. I have all good things to say about Venture. Obviously there will be flawed teachers here and there, and there will be disgruntled parents, you will find that anywhere.

Posted May 25, 2013
My child attends Venture. I feel the teachers truly care for his success and use great curriculum to teach with. The office staff are knowledgable, friendly and very helpful. I have often seen other charter schools from the area meeting with staff to learn how to better run their schools. The director lives by a philosophy that every student should be heard and will take time to listen to anybody who has a concern. He leads by example and that example is seen from top to bottom. I am one to find fault and so far I haven't found any with staff, though I can't say the same for some parents and their undisciplined kids who never do anything wrong. I guess that goes with any school. I assume the few with negative responses are the same who were constantly seen in the office complaining that it's never their kid at fault or issues that should be a parents responsibility, not staff. Staff should be allowed to speak out in defense when being confronted with ridiculous complaints and parents shouldn't be appalled when their complaint is called out for what it is. The staff spend all day dealing with immaturity, it shouldn't include parents who have yet to grow up themselves.

Posted February 20, 2013
I love this school. The kids are so kind, and so smart. There is art on all of the walls, and an amazing crew of parent volunteers who help make the school excellent. The teachers and staff are all kind, and dedicated to the safety and education of the students, and the kids learn so much. I love the focus of the expeditions, and my son's teacher has been fabulous. It's a great, safe, beautiful school, that requires perhaps too much parent involvement, and has excellent communication. If you can, send your child to this school. Also, if you can, move close to the school, because driving back and forth a few times a day really hurts the gas tank.

Venture Academy 3

Posted May 28, 2012
The school itself is beautiful. The curriculum is interesting. While I love the hands on part and the application of what children are learning in the real world, this causes a lack in scope. The worst part about the school is some of the teachers and then there is some of the office staff that really need to go. Very horrible leadership in place.

Posted January 28, 2012
This is a relatively new charter school that utilizes expeditionary learning. They expect a high amount of parental involvement, but it is worth it. We have been at the school since it opened. I currently have three children enrolled. It's true that there isn't a lot of homework for elementary age children (all mine are fifth grade and younger), though they do have daily math and reading assignments. My children are highly engaged and excited about what they are learning. Initially, expeditionary learning can be difficult to implement, but I feel the school is now doing an excellent job of designing and executing the curriculum. This has been especially good for my oldest, who has ADD and some behavioral issues. The school has worked with me to find the right fit for him and he is now excelling, both academically and socially. We are moving out of state and I am most upset at having to leave this school.

Posted July 20, 2011
Went to this school after I got tired of fighting with public schools over my slower learning son. We have had great success and he is now at grade level. Staff is excellent and principal attended every IEP (never got that before). Not alot of homework but excellent communication from teachers!! My kids love this school and we have at great teachers!! All around great school!!

Posted April 07, 2010

Venture Academy 1

Posted February 18, 2010
I have had horrible experiences with this school. There is very little homework and not much work brought home, so there is little to gauge what your child is learning. That combined with the fact that there is little to no communication from the teachers is not a great combination. There are a few teachers there that are fabulous, but overall, I am not impressed. I stayed for two years to give it a chance to prove itself, but I will be going to another charter next year.

Venture Academy
495 N 1500 W, Marriott-Slaterville City, UT  84404
Last modified Venture Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Venture Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top