416 students|Murray District

Bad
Good

I adore my child's teacher, but my faith in the school is dimming. I feel that security inside the building is over the top, and seriously lacking outside/playground. This is where the focus should be. I am far more worried about kidnappings/wandering children/bullying/playground injury than I am about a Columbine incident. All of the parents I hace talked with feel the same.

My third son is at Liberty and we have gone here since 2003 and LOVE IT! This is the smallest school in the district (which is also one of the smallest in the state) which makes for a tight knit faculty. We have all the benefits of a small town, while being nestled in the center of the great metropolis of Salt Lake City. Our new principal Mr. Dean is fantastic. The kids love him and he has a talent of reaching for the stars, while keeping his feet firmly planted, making sure the steps take place for dreams to happen. I look forward to my daughter attending in three years too!

Enroll with confidence - this is a top notch school. Great teachers, great principal, great parent involvement. This is the type of school that has a sense of family. I have had two children enrolled here for four years now. Both children test beyond their grade level and are challenged to go beyond their skill levels. Wonderful diversity with exposure to music and arts as well as education. Have compared this to other schools in the district and find it favorable in many areas. This school also ranks higher in test scores than other schools in the district.

Like most schools, Liberty has some excellent teachers and others who appear to be there only to collect a paycheck. But perhaps one of the largest problems lies within the administrative office, where some staff members choose to spend their time gossiping about students and parents rather than dedicating their working hours to providing a quality educational experience for the kids. I am also disturbed by the lack of enrichment activities that they provide for the children. My kids have never once had the opportunity to put on a class program, either during or after school hours. Unfortunately, the majority of the teachers do only the bare minimum to get by. The one saving grace has been the gifted and talented program, which we just found out will be eliminated next year due to budget cuts.

My son is in 1 on 3 third grade class. He has only learned the most basic outline of 3rd grade. They teach only as fast as the slowest person in class. Any mid to higher learners are bored and have nothing constuctive to do while they wait for the next assignments. They have troubles with bullying and do not have rules, consequences, or staff to help stop these behaviors. I think the school is poorly funded and managed by the Murray School District.

Last modified Liberty School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.