Public charter
North Salt Lake, UT
Before care: Yes

Posted March 19, 2014
Spectrum Academy has been the best thing that has happened to my son. My son has been attending for the past 4 years. He has done very well academically as well as socially, this is the first time that he has had friends. He gets up in the morning and gets himself ready for school. The public school system did not provide him with the accommodations that he needed, IEP's were always a nightmare. The IEP process at Spectrum is very smooth and they are willing to make accommodations that are needed for the students to succeed. It is great to see these students be social, attend formal dances, play on ball teams etc. they would not have this opportunity in a public school. The students graduate with diplomas and go onto college and universities. No school is perfect but when it comes to kids with ASD Spectrum is the place for them.

Spectrum Academy 3

Posted December 09, 2013
The school used to be great since i have been going here for 4 years. Now Spectrum has been accepting low functioning kids instead of high functions kids with autism etc. You always see and hear these kids mostly boys going in the girls bathrooms and always screaming and being obnoxious they are 7 for crying out loud being put in a HIGH SCHOOL!!!!, And also teachers are very little caring of what goes in the classrooms . The front office as well does not solve your problems at all and pushes the kids to the side all the time. My brother left the first day of school because he hated it ( he has no problems at all) I used to love spectrum academy but now they are not as good as they used to be 3 years ago :(

Posted September 26, 2013
My family moved here from Phoenix so that our son could go to Spectrum. It is difficult for me to put into words the difference this school has made in his life. He has friends (who genuinely like him), is able to learn because the environment has so lowered his anxiety, and has become so much more joyfyul. He has also been able to learn skills that he could never have learned in public school, like leadership. How can you ever be viewed as a leader when you are, instead, "that kid?" His teachers understand him and his symptoms, so there isn't a negative note every day about some behavior that is simply part of his diagnosis. IEP's actually feel like a team effort and they are followed. I am a clinical psychologist with a specialty in autism. For my patients, the only goal I ever really have is for them to be joyful. When someone is joyful, they do better academically, socially, developmentally...in every way. Spectrum Academy allows for joyfulness to be achieved. I feel SO LUCKY, and SO GRATEFUL, for this school. I wish every patient I had could go there.

Posted September 12, 2013
My son has aspergers and spectrum academy has been awesome for him the teachers work with each kid individually and will make allowances if my son needs more time with homework and assignment s I think the volunteering that one parent complained about is very helpful to the kids and the teachers and the school and keeps parents involved in their child's education plus you can volunteer at home on your computer or at the school and events or by donating supplies overall its a great school for kids with autism and aspergers :)

Spectrum Academy 1

Posted June 02, 2013
Interested in parent assesment of this school as we are thinking of enrolling our child. She is high-functioning but with a below average IQ.

Spectrum Academy 2

Posted May 26, 2013
This school is great for average or slightly below average kids who are social on the Autism Spectrum. It is not great for kids that are above average and who struggle socially. Yes they have a leveling system but I know of several kids that have leveled out and there is nothing more for them to do. Yes they have a daily social skills program in the classrooms but success with this varies based upon the teacher involved and the needs of the child - it is not enough for the kids with more social deficits. The school is very friendly/responsive/helpful as long as your child is one of the successful ones and you don't have alot of concerns/ask for much. The average or slightly below average kids who are social like it because they can get their work done, there is little homework and they can spend the day socializing. This just doesn't work for above average with social deficits.

Posted March 05, 2013
This is the 5th year my children have attended this school. The teachers are great and the Administration has been very responsive and supportive with any and all of my children s special needs. I am impressed with the data collection that has taken place at the school. They collect meaningful data on teachers and students in addition to the state mandated tests. The teachers have been very responsive with the leveling system. They have been very willing to adjust the curriculum level so that my children don t get board in the subjects that they excel in. Volunteering has been a joy. There have been plenty of opportunities throughout the years for me to be involved. It s fun to see the parents volunteering, getting involved, and making the school a better place for our children.

Spectrum Academy 2

Posted February 21, 2013
Academics are ok, but some of the teachers are just plain rude! You have to commit to hours of volunteer work, but its very 'clicky' and the adults let you know whether you and your child fit in or not. Somewhat judgemental for educated people. Mabey its because we arent mormon ! And about the bullying, dont expect it to be any different than other schools, they use the same old excuses from the 1950s too.....

Posted February 28, 2012
This school has done wonders for my sister. She has Aspergers, CP, and 40% hearing loss in both ears. She now asks me if she can 'spend the night' instead of 'spend night' at my house. I've seen here grow so much since she started 4 years ago. I love that there are smaller class sizes with a teacher and para, and that they genuinely want to help the kids thrive.

Spectrum Academy 1

Posted February 27, 2012
This school's primary objective is to serve kids with ASD. Kids will many different neurological diagnosis attend this school, as well as neuro-typical children. The teachers receive minimal training in best-practices in working with this diverse population and communication from the teachers to parents is poor. The majority of students have IEPs but the school struggles with data collection and follow-through. The school has no consistent approach in working with behaviors typical of ASD children.

Spectrum Academy
575 Cutler Dr, North Salt Lake, UT  84054
Last modified Spectrum Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-11. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Spectrum Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 13 reviews. Top