Orem, UT

Orem School 3

Posted February 16, 2011
My child went to Orem Elementary for preschool, kindergarten and 1st grade. I think the teachers are good, but there aren't enough other staff to supervise the kids during lunch and recess. The lunchroom is pretty crazy. I watched an older kid take my son's lunch dessert right in front of me one day and apparently that is pretty common. I also saw some bullying. Teachers said they couldn't do anything unless they saw it themselves. We've since moved to Suncrest Elementary and it's much better. The rules they have and enforce prevent bullying in the first place. For example, talking in the halls is not allowed at all, so bullying is not going to happen there. For lunch, kids sit with their class. They can't wander around and bug other kids.

Orem School 4

Posted April 24, 2009

Posted July 11, 2008
I've had two children go through Orem Elementary, and my third will begin kindergarten there this fall. My children have had exceptional experiences at Orem Elementary. The teachers there are extremely dedicated and caring. I've heard parents say that Utah schools are 'behind' when it comes to national standards. If you take a moment to see how Utah's high school graduates do on their SAT and ACT scores you will discover that such notions are quite incorrect. Orem Elementary School is fantastic!

Posted April 28, 2008
Our family recently moved to Utah. The past few months at school have not taught my children much of anything. The curriculum in this school district seems to be far easier than the school system we just moved from. This is disappointing to us. My children have also struggled with bullying. It is really bad during recess. There only seems to be one monitor out there watching hundreds of children in an area that is not easy to watch, and is open to the street. I worry about their safety. I am looking for a Charter school to send my children to. The principal seems friendly here, and the special ed director is great too! Kids seem to get lost in the system though....

Posted August 16, 2006
My child attended Orem Elementary and it was a very disappointing experience. This website lists their math and language arts scores, respectively at 65 and 69 - among the lowest five schools in the district! Their math program is a complete disaster. I had serious safety concerns about the school. There was one playground monitor for 400 children and numerous hidden, isolated areas that were out of the monitor's view. Children ran into the street at recess. I pulled my child out and put him in private school. In addition, Alpine School District is extremely unresponsive to the concerns of parents. Orem has an excellent choral and music program. The teachers seem competent and dedicated but they are hampered by the dictates and curriculum demanded by Alpine School District.

Orem School 4

Posted February 10, 2006

Posted April 23, 2005
- a former student
I attended this school from 1990-1995 (grades 2-6) and loved it. I would also gladly send my own children there. There is an excellent library, wonderful after school programs and a great playground. There are also teriffic school carnivals, field trips, activity days and assemblies. The sixth grade program is excellent with a good student council, high expectations and alot of preparation for junior high. Parent involvement is strong, and the kids are a good 'mix' as far as economic and family diversity. The teachers are wonderful and very dynamic in their teaching methods and my principal was great and very involved. Overall, this is probably one of the best public elementary schools in the state.

Posted March 02, 2005

Orem School 0

Posted January 03, 2005
- a former student
I went to this school for all of kindergarten to sixth grade. It is seriously a great school. The teachers were great when I went there, don't know about now. There are great activities like the school carnival and plays and stuff. There are great teachers like Mangum, Herman and a few others. There is a great reading program so the kids learn to read very well, and there is a large library too. The principal (at least when I went there) was good. I would recommend this school and I would go there again if I could. Overall quality is highly recommended.

Posted November 01, 2004
My son went to Orem Elementary a few years ago. The teacher was very nice and the office staff were beyond wonderful, however; my son was very behind after moving to Northern Virginia (Fairfax). Educationally it was poor. But I think it is an overall Utah problem, not just Orem Elementary. I've learned the parents have to do much more at home in Utah to keep their kids up intellectually with national standards.

Orem School
450 West 400 South, Orem, UT  84058
Last modified Orem School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Orem School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top