1,694 students|Provo District

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted February 18, 2016
The homework is normal just like any other school. :) Some teachers give more than others, some give less.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted September 11, 2015
Some teachers are very good, especially science, English, and JROTC. Others are horrible. Many of them never take attendance.

Develops honesty: Disagree

Posted September 11, 2015
Rules are weak or non-existant and not enforced. Kids do whatever they want and are disrespectful to adults.

Posted September 11, 2015
This school is simply horrible. It starts with the unprofessionalism of the faculty and staff. The main office workers wear t-shirts, jeans, and sandals. Some of them walk around barefoot. Many faculty members dress the same way. Kids who work in the office sit around texting and don't know anything. We moved to Provo from Texas where all teachers wear professional attire (ties for men) and office staff also dress professionally. The rules are very lax or even nonexistant. There is a dress code but it is rarely enforced. The attendance policy only says kids are encouraged to go to class. There is no punishment or consequences within the school for missing class. As you might imagine, students are all over the campus at all times of the school day. There is an Intervention period at the beginning of the day when kids are supposed to visit teachers and work on their grades, but no attendance is taken so few kids take advantage of this time. They hang out with friends and visit the many fast food restaurants in the area. The academic standards for athletes are a joke. My son plays two sports and many of his friends are failing most or all of their classes yet they never miss a game. The school is fairly diverse (by Utah standards) and is very racially divided. Hispanic kids (about 30% of the population) are very underrepresented in sports, clubs, etc. I can't believe the school board, superintendent, and administrators allow the school to operate this way. The inmates run this asylum.

Posted May 19, 2015
This school has very rude staff. When I first moved here and was trying to figure out where registration was-the staff basically said figure it out on your own. Because I moved a few weeks after school had started a was behind in class. When I went to the teacher to ask for the worksheets she wouldn't let me take them- she gave me a flat out zero. Recently I went to the councilors office to ask if I could speak to my councilor about graduation, and the lady in the front desk kept asking me what I needed to tell her. I left because I feel like there needs to be confidentiality between a student and the councilor-not the front desk lady. I then went to the business office to ask if I had any fees to pay, and the lady didn't even look at me. She cut me off and said I can't tell you until tomorrow. These people are very rude, and do not acknowledge students concerns. I regret attending this school, and am glad I'm graduating so i don't have to deal with people who make me feel like my needs are irrelevant.

Posted March 18, 2015
My daughter goes to Provo High, I find there is total lack of communication between teachers and parents as well as between students and teachers. They grade incredibly hard, and have taken D completely out of the grading system. Therefore if your child is barely below a c- at 69% they fail! Tests are what they score the hardest making it almost impossible for the student to pass the class my daughter had everything turn in at 100% but she received 7/10 on the tests so she failed two semesters in the same class. She went in for "invention" but was not helped in the areas she was lacking in. 7/10 is pretty good in my mind. The computer system they use states your child is failing within a week of the beginning of the semester, and rarely is updated! Trying to get help or figure grading out is ridiculous. If you do not love your job and don't love actually teaching, you should look for a job elsewhere, because you are setting a lot of kids up for failure. I am interested in the drop out rate here vs other schools. Worst school I have ever had to deal with. If you can choose a different school for your child to attend I would say go for the other school!

Posted March 07, 2013
My 15 yr old step son goes to Provo High. I am not impressed at all so far in the lack of communication we have with the school about his grades. The laws in Utah are way to relaxed and it only rewards laziness. My husband and I know what our son is capible of and the school is not holding him to the same standards at all. When he was with us he was on the honor roll and he has done nothing but struggle with no communication as to why and what areas need to be worked on. Very disappointed.

Provo High School 5

Posted March 01, 2013
I attended here for all 4 years of high school. I found that a school is what you make of it. The teachers I had were knowledgeable. The programs that I participated in were top programs in the state. I found if there was something that you wanted to do and work on there was a teacher there that'd help you to achieve that.

Provo High School 2

Posted May 14, 2009
I attended this school during my Junior and Senior years of high school, and I was unsatisfied with my experience. The Honors Spanish class I took didn't assign homework or even have textbooks. Many of the students were superficial, and I had a hard time making friends (but I think that's probably most high schools). Most of the staff was not helpful at all, except for my counselor and the woman in charge of concurrent enrollment (Jeri). The school did have concurrent enrollment, and distance education, which afforded me with the opportunity to take college classes and get my associate's degree a year ahead of my peers. This was one of the only things I enjoyed about the experience.

Provo High School 5

Posted February 14, 2009
Outstanding school in my opinion! Just like any other, it depends on what the child desires and want to accomplish. Provo High offers all kinds of opportunities for the students but students have to be AMBITIOUS enough to go for it. My kids were involved in leadership, sports, AP and Honor classes and all kinds of enriching activities. They excelled academically and received scholarships to great universities. Parental involvement could be better and so could teacher accessibility. I get involved early in the school year so that seems to set the tone with the teachers. As far as diversity is concerned, it all depends on how well adjusted the kid is. My two students are African Americans. There are only a handful of African Americans at Provo High yet my kids still did very well. They respect themselves so others treated them with respect.

1125 North University Ave, Provo, UT  84604
Last modified Provo High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.