319 students|Provo District

Bad
Good

Independence High School 4

Posted September 11, 2014
I love this school. My high schooler needed assistance with quite a few things that she wouldn't be able to have at the main high school. The principal (Lani) is amazing and accessible. The majority of teachers do their best to accommodate your student and help them either graduate from IHS or make up credits efficiently so they may return to their neighborhood high school. I wish they had more after school programs but I understand how funding goes for individual schools. I couldn't recommend them enough if your teen needs a program like this.

Posted April 14, 2010
I am currently a Senior at IHS. IHS is the best high school in Provo. Although it lacks extracurricular activities, this school does everything it can to help students. At Provo High i often felt like I was dumb or often neglected by some of the teachers. But at IHS everybody cares for you, and they spend hours just to help students with homework. If IHS had more activities, it would be way better, but with the lack of funds they give us, it is really hard. Everyone says Independence is a school for trouble makers, or 'potheads'but that is not true. Independence students are amazing. I recommend this school.

Posted November 10, 2009
I attended this school barley last year. I was attending provo high freshman through half of my jr. Year and i even went back to provo high senior year when i was all caught up on credits but i went back to independence because i liked i it better, i had friends at both schools but i liked how the teachers treated you no matter if you there for misbehaving or lack of attendance..All students were the same. I also liked how the teachers focused more on the students and how we called them by their first name so we can get along with them easier, well at first for me it was kind of awkward because i'm used to calling a teacher mr/mrs. Whatever their last name is, but then i got used to calling them by their first name. But otherwise i recommend this school for all.

Independence High School 3

Posted September 30, 2008
I attended IHS my freshman year. I like how the teachers were more focused on their students. Its a school like no other. I enjoyed my experience at IHS but I recommend a mainstream or regular high school rather than an alternative. Although a good school IHS is, it lacks alot of the what a high school experience should be. I mean extracurricular activties. There's barely any sports, no homecoming, prom, etc.

Posted July 25, 2006
Being a student who attended both provo high school and also independence high school I would have to say that I personally think that independence is the best school I could have chosen in the district. The classes are smaller, the teachers more focused on each students needs, and the enviroment more controlled. While there are fewer courses to chose from they do offer all of the basics. They focus more on getting us out there into the real world comparred to learning how to pick the best classes. While every school has its problems I think that this schools benefits greatly out way anything else.

Independence High School 2

Posted February 28, 2005
Independence High School has an excellent ROTC program for those kids needing role models and discipline. It will be nice to provide extra curricular activities such as music, and sports. I believe Provo School District should stop treating this school as a 'punishment school' for those kids in trouble. There is a mix of kids who got in trouble for violence and those who just have family problems. Staff is average in general with a few exceptions. There is a lack of leadership and until the district appoints a principal who cares about the students, the school will remain as a good project.

Posted January 07, 2005
I know that Independence doesnt have all the extacurricular classes that the other schools provide, but they have Law Enforcement which I think is the best, they have Home Ec. classes, psychology, bike/small engines repair, weight training, office aids and teacher assistants. They also have a great program called Lions In Action where the students go to elementery schools and help the children with their reading and school work. Independence also has students do community service which is also good.

Independence High School 1

Posted May 07, 2004
For an alternative high school, this school really misses the mark, as with most schools in the Provo School District. Zero Tolerance is greatly over emphasized to the point of being ridiculous. In order to have our kids in this district grow into successful adults in society, we as parents need to stop allowing our tax dollars to be spent on tearing our kids apart emotionally, ripping any self confidence or self esteem from them because they choose to be individuals rather than clones. This high schools focuses more on petty misbehaviors than it does in actual teaching. And it is supposed to be a school geared for the kids that have a hard time in the mainstream schools.

Independence High School
636 North Independence Ave, Provo, UT  84601
Last modified Independence High School is a Public school that serves grades 5-12
Independence High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top