Roy High School

Public | 10-12 | 1557 students

Posted April 23, 2011

I'm currently a senior at Roy High and I'm deeply saddened by how low a few people say our school is. They just don't get that were a special high school We have what a few schools don't and that is were Multicultural And we all get along if you don't like Hispanics or African Americans Or Japanese or Chinese Or Italian Then I wouldn't recommend you come to our school we all get along with each other great and we wouldn't want people with negative attitudes coming to our school sure we have a few kids who drop out or do drugs But we have some amazing councils that helped alot of kids get back on track I'm one of them so please go see our school yourself before reading negative story's If you go there negative I'm Sure you'll have a bad time But if your positive about it I'm sure you will love our school

Posted March 22, 2011

I'm a sophomore at Roy and I can't stand being there. Right now I'm trying to convince my parents to let me go to a different school; that's how much I don't like it there. A few of the teachers there are great and honestly care about you and your education. Other's do not. My mom(Who is a teacher in Weber District, as is my dad) recently had a meeting with one of my teachers. My mom came home telling me that she didn't care if I failed her class because of how terrible a person and teacher she is. My mom was offended by how she was treated and also did not like how the teacher basically described me as a horrible student when all the teachers I've had in the past would say the complete opposite. The student body is terrible. There are a few kids, such as the SBO's, who will try to get everybody into the spirit of things but most kids are unresponsive. Cliques are the worst. If you hang out with the "weird" kids and you think you need to make some new friends because maybe you're not into all the things your old friends were into, you can't. No one accepts you into their group because they have this already formed opinion of you. Overall, Roy just isn't a good school.

Posted February 20, 2010

I am sad to see what has become of Roy as a city, not just the school. I moved away from Utah for about ten years. My child is enrolled in Roy High because family circumstances didn't allow for anything else. The Special Education we have received is nothing more than babysitting. I am so saddened for what possibilities my child has lost in his time at Roy. My limited experience with the administration bodes no better.

Posted December 23, 2009

I am a sophomore at roy high ans so far into the school year (over halfway) noting has happened at the school to make me think of it in any sort of a negative way. The student body has tons of school spirit, drug use has exponentially dropped, teachers want us to succeed, and cliques almost do not exist at roy..

Posted November 29, 2009

Roy high is a great school! We have loads of school spirit and even if we aren't some private school with prestigious educators we have good teachers that want to see us succeed. A student is responsible for their test scores and the grades they earn. High school can be great or miserable. You get out of it waht you put in.

Posted October 2, 2009

Roy High School is a good school however, the school does not comply with the needs of the students and rarely listens.

Posted December 21, 2008

As i looked for another site, i stumbled across these appaling remarks. I am currently a jr at Roy High and i think it is one of the best schools i have been to. If you are thinking about sending your students there, please do not hesitate. Roy actually has few cliques and is very accepting. I am in the band and as what every movie tells us makes me a 'social outcast' it is not that way at all. I am offended that these people would say many of these things about the students getting a bad education. The truth is that in most schools students are unmotivated, but thanks to many good teachers a good portion of our student body have taken and passed with 5's on AP exams and reached into the 30's on the act's. If your student is willing to learn, Roy is a great place.

Posted December 10, 2008

I am a student body officer at roy high this year. I absolutly love roy, I think that the following remarks are very harsh and represent roy in a bad and very immature way. Roy high is a very great school to attend, the inside was just recently refurbished and We as a student body work very hard to keep up the school spirit of roy high. Roy High rocks!

Posted September 27, 2008

I am a junior at Roy High this 2008-2009 school year. The student body has improved in that there is less fighting, less snobby girls, less sex (there were several disturbing pregnancies last year), and less drug-abuse. However, the school is becoming increasingly apathetic. Since the 2008 school year about seven teachers have retired, and the news ones don't seem to care that much about the students. There are no more natural since AP classes because of the retirement, and the remaining AP class are at jeopardy of loosing their teachers as well. Band, however, is still doing well, and so are some of the sports and clubs. The Student Body Officers this year seem to divide themselves into a do-nothing group, or to an uptight belief that 'this is the best school and you should be proud no matter-what, if you have a different opinion then you don't belong'.

Posted December 31, 2007

I am a senior at Roy High this 2007-2008 year. Roy High totally blows. Its no fun. There is constant fighting with gangs, Drug abuse, and also Alcohol abuse. Roy High is not a good school. There are way too many snobby girls that choose their friends on style and attitude. There are way too many cliques. I cannot make friends because I am myself, not what they want me to be. Guys talk about what girls they 'hooked up' with every week. Its disgusting. Girls talk about the parties they went to and how much they drank. Half the school doesn't care about their grades. Its flat out dumb. Roy High has a bad reputation and if students can't straighten up it will stay that way.

Posted October 21, 2007

I am a senior this year at Roy High. Seeing the other reviews really bothers me.. Roy High is becoming more and more known and fun to attend. The classes give just as much opportunity as any other school in the area, the sports teams are improving... last year we made it to the semi-finals in basketball, football went to the play-offs, the cheerleaders won the West Coast Championship in Anaheim, and the Royalaires took state. I honestly don't understand why people say Roy High is a bad school. I'm a cheerleader there and I think in order to fully enjoy high school you have to be involved and that's what people at Roy are doing more and more each year. Since I began school here in tenth grade the school has improved 110% over only two years. Roy is an excellent and fun school in my opinion. :)

Posted November 30, 2006

I am also a student at Roy High. Given our school is not one of the most respected in the area, it is, as I believe one of the better schools of the area. Our sports programs DO have respect, much to the contrary of my fellow students review. We may not have the best records in some sports but we are still able to compete with every school in our region. Our teachers are great and so is our principal who I would say puts his interests on the kids of our school first.

Posted February 9, 2006

Currently I am a student at Roy High.. It has it's ups and downs I would say. As the first person listed the community is horrible, I beg to differ. Roy has grown up a lot over the years. There is no problem with Roy besides the fact it is getting crowded. As for the teaching, you have your share of good teachers, and bad ones. Overall the school is dim and has no enthusiam what so ever. Maybe the community doesn't get involved in the sociality of Roy High. The sports teams aren't too great because they aren't respected. The principals do not know students by their names unless there is a technicality in the students life in which they feel the need to barge into and all the sudden care for once. In general, Roy High is not a bad school, but not a good one.

Posted December 27, 2005

What can you say about a school that has the one of the lowest quality SAT scores of traditional Utah schools? That your kids had fun? I attended Roy High myself over 20 years ago. It's not just the schools, the whole central city has declined. I would never recommend moving here. There are much better places to live just as cheaply. Urban decay from has been working it's way outward from downtown Ogden over the last few years. Still, there are comparative schools with the same makeup that far surpass Roy. Who is to blame for the miserable scores? Although parents certainly hold blame, ultimately the responsibility rests at the teacher/admin level to catch the underperforming students with bad parents. There will always be excuses and bad parenting. Some schools with the same makeup do much better than Roy. I completely regret sending my son to Roy High.

Posted April 20, 2005

Roy helps students learn, provided they don't get caught up in peer pressure.

Posted February 27, 2004

This school has a lot to offer students to expose them to many different career fields. My son has had Law Enforcement, Marketing, Computer Drafting (AutoCad), Wildlife Management and Retail Store. The choice of electives is outstanding. The teachers seem to really care and go the extra mile for their students. The peer leader program for new students is a great idea and most helpful. A great place to learn! (PS - minor problems with accurate attendance so keep tabs.)

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 87% in 2013.

494 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 86% in 2013.

460 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 40% in 2013.

349 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 40% in 2010.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

495 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 58% in 2013.

280 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 68% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 42% in 2013.

249 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 75% in 2013.

125 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 73% in 2013.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 2%

Student subgroups

This school District averageState average
Students eligible for free or reduced-price lunch program 50%N/A48%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
PE instructor(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Robotics/Technology specialist(s)

Media arts
  • Graphics
  • Video / Film production
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2150 West 4800 South