K-8|Private

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Teacher (1 response)

Posted December 06, 2015
My daughter is a kindergartener at McGillis. It has been inspiring to watch her confidence and love of learning for the sake of learning thriving in the supportive environment at the school. Her education is well rounded and includes a focus on kindness and thoughtfulness to others. We could not be more pleased with McGillis and the intentional, open minded education she is receiving as well as the wonderful new community of parents and teachers that is now an extension of our family. Matt Culberson, head of school, is unlike any leader I've ever met. I love how he is always engaging with children and their parents so that he has a feel for what we are all thinking about. I have really enjoyed the supportive style of Melanie Battistone, assistant head of school for program and philosophy, she is the school psychologist and meets regularly with the kids to provide education in "life skills" which I think are so incredibly important to success. My daughter adores her kindergarten teachers - Stacey and Lou Ann. She looks forward to going to school each day.

Posted December 03, 2015
This is a wonderful place that not only does an amazing job academically, but teaches children to be empathetic, environmentally and socially conscious, creative and motivated. I can't say enough great things about this school.

Posted December 03, 2015
There are so many things to love about the McGillis School. I love the welcoming, inclusive community. I love the big, bright spaces. I love that my picky eaters think the food is fantastic! The teachers are incredibly talented and dedicated. My daughters have attended here since kindergarten and now are 4th and 5th graders. They both love school in a way I never did as a child. I love the School's thoughtful, measured approach to learning and education. Everything is done with intention and vision. They do a wonderful job of balancing solid academics with the needs of children and families at every stage of development. I cannot be more pleased with the education my children are receiving.

Posted December 02, 2015
My two older children (who didn’t attend McGillis), and I were always frustrated with the school choices in the Salt Lake Valley. We bounced around to several different schools trying to find a good fit. We tried other independent schools, public, and parochial. There was always something that didn’t feel right. When I enrolled my 3rd child in the McGillis School, I felt like Goldilocks in “The Three Bears”, in that it was “just right!” My daughter has thrived in this school where individuality is celebrated. As an eighth grader, this is her last year at McGillis. She will be heading on to High School very well prepared academically, but more importantly with a strong foundation of the “essential attributes” (see McGillis web page) that have been woven through her curriculum. All schools have a mission statement, but I have never seen one that so consciously and reflectively ensures that it is followed and incorporated with such intention. As a parent, my associations with the McGillis community have also been life enriching in so many ways. It is truly a unique and special place!

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted December 02, 2015
All of the teachers we have encountered over the past 6 years have been amazing, absolutely top tier educators.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted December 02, 2015
I do not believe there is a need for homework prior to the 7th grade...and even then I question it's value.

Posted December 02, 2015
I have three children attending The McGillis School. The school is truly amazing and delivers what it claims. The three pillars of ethics, academics and community are woven through each grade in the most amazing ways. My children at the ages of 6, 9, and 11 are truly dedicated to making this world a better place and much of this is due to the values and education they are faced with everyday at The McGillis School.

Posted January 16, 2014
We've had two children attending this school for the past five years and both children are having an outstanding academic and social experience. The curriculum is broad, diverse and challenging. The school offers an amazing sense of community. We are so pleased that our children are having such an amazing K-8 experience.

Posted January 14, 2014
There are three specific reasons why I love The McGillis School. More importantly my two sons love The McGillis School. First, instilling a life long love of learning, second is a robust curriculum in ethics, and last a value is placed on community both internal and external to the school. The quality of the teachers is amazing. Most if not all of the teachers have advanced degrees and the Headmaster is an absolutely wonderful educator, mentor and visionary. Both of my sons are confident risk takers and are encouraged to discover and learn in creative and collaborative ways. McGillis is a school that will prepare your child to succeed because they will discover something wonderful about themselves that they can apply to the world in a meaningful way.

Posted January 14, 2014
Our daughter has been at The McGillis School for 5 years and we couldn't be more pleased. We truly believe that McGillis has given her the confidence, motivation, and passion to learn as well as preparing her for high school and beyond. The math program is especially relevant to her and I believe that no other math program out there gives children the real-life applications of math that Everyday Math does. The curriculum is comprehensive and rigorous, yet there is also appreciation for the whole child and developing their ethical selves. Community is at the heart of The McGillis School and this is evident in the wonderful parent and family relationships that develop along with the children's friendships. The sustainability ethos of the school is amazing and teaches children to be positive stewards of the environment. And, We'd be remiss if we didn't mention the fabulous school lunch program--all fresh, all homemade, and a wonderful salad bar to boot. Almost all of the children eat the school lunch. Overall, we couldn't be more pleased with our choice to send our daughter here.

668 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT  84102