Posted January 16, 2014
We've had two children attending this school for the past five years and both children are having an outstanding academic and social experience. The curriculum is broad, diverse and challenging. The school offers an amazing sense of community. We are so pleased that our children are having such an amazing K-8 experience.

Posted January 14, 2014
There are three specific reasons why I love The McGillis School. More importantly my two sons love The McGillis School. First, instilling a life long love of learning, second is a robust curriculum in ethics, and last a value is placed on community both internal and external to the school. The quality of the teachers is amazing. Most if not all of the teachers have advanced degrees and the Headmaster is an absolutely wonderful educator, mentor and visionary. Both of my sons are confident risk takers and are encouraged to discover and learn in creative and collaborative ways. McGillis is a school that will prepare your child to succeed because they will discover something wonderful about themselves that they can apply to the world in a meaningful way.

Posted January 14, 2014
Our daughter has been at The McGillis School for 5 years and we couldn't be more pleased. We truly believe that McGillis has given her the confidence, motivation, and passion to learn as well as preparing her for high school and beyond. The math program is especially relevant to her and I believe that no other math program out there gives children the real-life applications of math that Everyday Math does. The curriculum is comprehensive and rigorous, yet there is also appreciation for the whole child and developing their ethical selves. Community is at the heart of The McGillis School and this is evident in the wonderful parent and family relationships that develop along with the children's friendships. The sustainability ethos of the school is amazing and teaches children to be positive stewards of the environment. And, We'd be remiss if we didn't mention the fabulous school lunch program--all fresh, all homemade, and a wonderful salad bar to boot. Almost all of the children eat the school lunch. Overall, we couldn't be more pleased with our choice to send our daughter here.

The McGillis School 4

Posted December 13, 2012
McGillis is a place that is warm, wonderful and caring. The administrators and teachers are professionals in every way. However, the school under pressure to change and not be true to what it says it is. Approach this school with caution. Spend time in the classroom to see what it is really like. Kindergarten in particular is a mess. Steer clear of kindergarten and find a NAEYC accredited kindergarten instead. Don't worry about getting in McGillis after kindergarten; they've been struggling to fill it.

Posted October 17, 2012
This is truly a great school. The level of care and concern for each child enrolled could not be higher. My son has some learning differences and he gets the level of support I have not had for him at other institutions. I could not be happier with our school choice.

Posted March 07, 2012
An outstanding preparatory school that builds confidence and a desire to learn. Many of the class projects are cross-curricular learning experiences that integrate math, literacy, history and science. Students that are highly motivated may take a project further & are encouraged to do so. From a young age, writing, verbal communication & presentations are encouraged, which builds tremendous confidence. Students that are ahead in a subject are given alternative assignments (such as in math & writing). Individualized instruction, in a small class environment, ensures the needs and interests of all children are met. The children are respectful and do not display overly competitive feelings of academic superiority. Teens that graduate from McGillis are well prepared to take on advanced coursework and extracurricular offerings available in high school. I do not feel McGillis is pushy, rather, the real goal is to provide a solid foundation and a well rounded educational experience. We know a number of teens that have demonstrated the value of this education. The teens we know are confident & not arrogant & score very high on standardized scores like the ACT.

Posted February 10, 2012
The McGillis School was an excellent choice for my children, one of whom is now ready to graduate high school. Given that the reviewer from January 2011 did not even edit his post for typos, I don't think his negative comments should be taken too seriously. Matt Culbertson and the administration at McGillis are very in-tune with the students and the day-to-day operation of the school. I am always impressed to hear the administrators refer to each student by name. The teachers are outstanding. Jocelyn G., in particular, is a 10 among math teachers. She goes the extra mile to make sure each student is learning atbhisor her own level. The homework load is balanced, and the school has increased their music, theatre, sports and extra curricular programs. I would urge any parent to consider the McGillis program.

Posted May 16, 2011
I have three students at McGillis and although it is painful in the pocketbook, it is worth it when your children enjoy going to school everyday! The most important thing a a school can instill in our students is a love for learning, that does not mean sending them home with lots of homework, it means building a strong foundation and an appetitie and curiosity for more. It is not all about the scores, and at McGillis my children thrive with a close knit, caring community both faculty and parent.

Posted January 04, 2011
I am surprised and saddened that so many people are unhappy with this school. I have been a student at this school and found it has been amazing for me, going to a new school this year has highlighted how lucky I was to have gone to this school. I consider myself an advanced learner and McGillis has helped me every step of the way. The teachers are amazing, the curriculum is great, and, even though it is a Jewish Value based school, everybody is accepted and welcome into the community.

The McGillis School 2

Posted January 02, 2011
MY CHILD IS AT MCGILLIS AND I HAVE BEEN HEART BROKEN THIS YEAR. THE MATH THAT MY CHILD IS DOING IN THE CLASS IS 1 WHOLE GRADE LEVEL BEHIDE KIDS THE SAME GRADE IN MY HOME AREA. I HAVE FOUND FROM MY CHILD THAT THE TWO TEACHERS IN THE CLASS DOESN'T READ WITH ANY OF THE CHILDREN. MY CHILD I REALIZE IS BEHIDE AND WILL HAVE TO SPEND HIS SUMMER MONTHS CATCHING HIM UP. I WISH MY HUSBAND AND I WOULD HAVE MADE DIFFERENT PLANS THIS YEAR FOR OUR CHILD . I LIKE THAT THE SCHOOL IS FRIENDLY BUT VERY LACKING IN HELPING CHILDREN TO DO WELL IN LEARNING. I SAY THAT IT WAS A TOTAL WASTE OF MONEY THIS YEAR!!!! WISH I WOULD HAVE WENT SOMEWHERE ELSE.

The McGillis School
668 South 1300 East, Salt Lake City, UT  84102
Last modified The McGillis School is a Private school that serves grades K-8
The McGillis School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 35 reviews.