Public charter
Salt Lake City, UT

Dual Immersion Academy 5

Posted May 16, 2014
I have had my two children in this school for several years and I can see their progress in both languages. The teachers go above and beyond. I recommend this school, but you have to commit to the program for several years. . Best school ever...

Posted September 10, 2013
My daughter just started Kindergarten and really loves it. 90% of her day is taught in Spanish and she speaks mostly English. She really has been picking up the language. She's also learning the concepts being taught. Her teacher is the best. I know the test scores aren't good for this school, but if you look up the detailed scores by grade on the state website, you'll see that as the non-english speaking students learn english, their scores dramatically increase. The school is also in a poor neighbood hood and statistically the parents are not as involved in their child's education as more affluent areas. The language model for this school is 90/10. I did a lof of research and this method is proven to be the most effective for teaching a child a second language. I would recommend this school not just as a dual immersion school, but as a great all-around school.

Posted August 30, 2013
This school is really taking off. I have worked here for several years and I enjoy seeing the kids and the school progress and become better. What I love about DIA is the small school atmosphere. Every student is known and the teachers are constantly collaborating about what we can do to help individual students. I have seen many students that have failed in other schools, both in grades and behavior, really take off and do well here. Our students who have been here for many years are bilingual in speaking, reading and writing. I really enjoy working here.

Dual Immersion Academy 5

Posted November 28, 2011
This school is the best school available in the Salt Lake City area. My children attend DIA and have become bilingual and biliterate (English and Spanish) in a very short time. Since attending the school, my children's test scores have been EXCELLENT and I absolutely love the 90/10 model. Dual Immersion Academy is the ONLY school in the Salt Lake area as of this post that does the 90/10 model. That is, 90% of time in class in K and 1st will be in Spanish, and 10% English. Starting in 2nd grade it goes to 80/20, 3rd is 70/30, etc This allows the English speaking students (which mine were) to be "immersed" in the Spanish language at a young age, and they end up learning very quickly. Spanish speaking students come to the school usually already knowing some English because they have already been "immersed" in the English language in the community/media. I have been so happy with the staff, the education, and the values of this school - I would not consider putting my children anywhere else. I have done my research, and continue to monitor the progress of this school and other schools available to my children - and I can honestly say that this the best school in the valley.

Dual Immersion Academy 2

Posted July 18, 2011
The teachers are energetic, well-informed, concerned, talented, and intelligent people. I have aboslutely loved the teachers my 2 children have had. They go above and beyond what is 'required' to help the students be the best they can be. My children have earned top scores on the State's standardized testing. They are reading above grade level in English (so they haven't fallen behind as other posters have mentioned). Unfortunately, there are so many students with serious discipline issues (bullying, name calling, foul language, agressive and intimidating behavior, fights, etc.) that seems to go unchecked. I no longer feel like my kids are safe there. They will not be returning and I know many other parents who feel the same way whose children will also not be returning. The educational experience has been top notch. It's just that the behavioral issues over shadow the good things..

Dual Immersion Academy 1

Posted January 24, 2011
This is a horrible school. Your child will be so far behind in every subject if you subjest them to this awful place. The 90/10 program they are running is not working! Kids are learning nothing and being left further and further behind. They also do nothing to punish bullies and do not have adequate supervision for the kids playing outside. The school is located in a very dangerous part of Glendale. The best thing I did was to pull my child from this awful school!!!

Posted June 13, 2010
Amazing and dedicated teachers. Wonderful academic program, my children have learned so much each year. They have had some challenges in the school administration and leadership but I am hopeful that they can work through this.

Posted February 23, 2010
The faculty and staff are wonderful and work well together. We have waited months for a new director and sadly I find myself very disappointed. The tradition that was building at the school is ignored by the new administration and the governance board blindly accepts the administrations misrepresentations. The entire look of the school will be different next year if parents cannot regain control of their school community.

Posted February 08, 2010
My daughter has attended this school for two years, she started in 3rd grade. She spoke no spanish and in two years is doing very well. I think the ciriculum at the school is outstanding, and chanllenging. They place each student in groups in both english and spanish based on thier academic level, this allows the children to suceed at thier current level before moving on, if they are excelling then they are not held back and if they need more time they are not being rushed to move ahead without being prepared to do so. Two thumbs up to DIA, I couldnt be happier with my choice to put my daughter here!

Dual Immersion Academy 0

Posted February 04, 2010
Most of the teachers are very dedicated and great with the children. I am not happy with the administration the class sizes and the way the teachers are treated.

Dual Immersion Academy
1155 Glendale Dr, Salt Lake City, UT  84104
Last modified Dual Immersion Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dual Immersion Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top