School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Dual Immersion Academy (DIA) is an accredited, tuition-free, public charter school providing bilingual education to students in from Pre-kindergarten to 8th grade. DIA is located in the Glendale area, in the heart of Salt Lake City. Our mission is to create bilingual, biliterate scholars who understand the richness of living in a multi-cultural world. Students work with our world class educators in our target language (Spanish) while continuing to build a solid foundation in English. Our teachers come from Spain, Mexico, Colombia, Peru, Costa Rica, Puerto Rico,Uruguay and the United States. DIA is where education and opportunity meet. In addition to our common core English and Spanish, DIA offers physical education, art, music, and drama classes to expand student understanding in different ways.
April 14, 2016

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I worked as a volunteer for a few months at DIA. I would absolutely recommend this school to anyone looking for a English/Spanish language immersion experience. The administration really cares for the well being of the students. There are so many great programs to help the students succeed academically and in their lives in general.

Develops character: Strongly disagree

Students are rigidly held to the schools honor code. Clear and fair conversation amongst students and with faculty is strongly encouraged

- a school leader

I have had my two children in this school for several years and I can see their progress in both languages. The teachers go above and beyond. I recommend this school, but you have to commit to the program for several years. . Best school ever...

My daughter just started Kindergarten and really loves it. 90% of her day is taught in Spanish and she speaks mostly English. She really has been picking up the language. She's also learning the concepts being taught. Her teacher is the best. I know the test scores aren't good for this school, but if you look up the detailed scores by grade on the state website, you'll see that as the non-english speaking students learn english, their scores dramatically increase. The school is also in a poor neighbood hood and statistically the parents are not as involved in their child's education as more affluent areas. The language model for this school is 90/10. I did a lof of research and this method is proven to be the most effective for teaching a child a second language. I would recommend this school not just as a dual immersion school, but as a great all-around school.

This school is really taking off. I have worked here for several years and I enjoy seeing the kids and the school progress and become better. What I love about DIA is the small school atmosphere. Every student is known and the teachers are constantly collaborating about what we can do to help individual students. I have seen many students that have failed in other schools, both in grades and behavior, really take off and do well here. Our students who have been here for many years are bilingual in speaking, reading and writing. I really enjoy working here.

I have been going to this school since it opened and it is AMAZING!!! The teachers, staff and students are great! I love all of the classes and after school programs. I started in 1 grade and have been there since. All of the teachers that I have had are great and I have learned so much from them! The middle school teachers are great and all of the spanish teachers speak great spanish, they are not some crapy teachers that principles get of the street. The students are so nice and care about each other. I have had great friends and there have been the same kids in my class for years. I hope that this school will live on for ever and that you guys all give it a great review! :)

This school is the best school available in the Salt Lake City area. My children attend DIA and have become bilingual and biliterate (English and Spanish) in a very short time. Since attending the school, my children's test scores have been EXCELLENT and I absolutely love the 90/10 model. Dual Immersion Academy is the ONLY school in the Salt Lake area as of this post that does the 90/10 model. That is, 90% of time in class in K and 1st will be in Spanish, and 10% English. Starting in 2nd grade it goes to 80/20, 3rd is 70/30, etc This allows the English speaking students (which mine were) to be "immersed" in the Spanish language at a young age, and they end up learning very quickly. Spanish speaking students come to the school usually already knowing some English because they have already been "immersed" in the English language in the community/media. I have been so happy with the staff, the education, and the values of this school - I would not consider putting my children anywhere else. I have done my research, and continue to monitor the progress of this school and other schools available to my children - and I can honestly say that this the best school in the valley.

The teachers are energetic, well-informed, concerned, talented, and intelligent people. I have aboslutely loved the teachers my 2 children have had. They go above and beyond what is 'required' to help the students be the best they can be. My children have earned top scores on the State's standardized testing. They are reading above grade level in English (so they haven't fallen behind as other posters have mentioned). Unfortunately, there are so many students with serious discipline issues (bullying, name calling, foul language, agressive and intimidating behavior, fights, etc.) that seems to go unchecked. I no longer feel like my kids are safe there. They will not be returning and I know many other parents who feel the same way whose children will also not be returning. The educational experience has been top notch. It's just that the behavioral issues over shadow the good things..

This is a horrible school. Your child will be so far behind in every subject if you subjest them to this awful place. The 90/10 program they are running is not working! Kids are learning nothing and being left further and further behind. They also do nothing to punish bullies and do not have adequate supervision for the kids playing outside. The school is located in a very dangerous part of Glendale. The best thing I did was to pull my child from this awful school!!!

Last modified Dual Immersion Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 1 out of 10 based on academic quality.