412 students|Open Classroom

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

This school offers an amazing community environment where kids are actively involved in their learning. The dedication from faculty, parents and students is unlike any other school! The education is unique and offers opportunities you will not find at any other school!

Effective school leaders: Agree

There's a new principal. We'll see how it goes!

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

Very committed and creative. Several teachers went to the Open Classroom as kids!

Amount of homework: Strongly disagree

Homework is minimal, we like it that way.

If I lived out of state, I'd move to Utah just to experience this school with my family. The school is a community of learners with teachers, parents and students all contributing to make this an extension of the best things of life. Kids learn compassion and leadership skills, as well as math and science, and crazy hats rule here. It's a wild and incredible ride. My son has learning differences and we wanted to keep him in a mainstream classroom. This is an amazing school. - Salt Lake happy family

We love our school! If you want to actually know what is happening with your child's education, not just recaps at conferences, and you are willing and able to participate in a school community, then you will be right at home. I feel the teachers and our new principal are compassionate and willing to talk about concerns openly. No school is without issues in some form, but I've never seen a school as open and willing to hear all voices (including students). My 3rd grader doesn't spend hours in the evening doing frustrating regurgitated homework, because there is time at school to complete his work with lots of help. If he goofs off, there's homework. That more than makes up for the time spent volunteering in my book.

his school has changed our whole family. It's a very different place from a typical public school, and it may or may not fit your family. It fits ours beautifully. The emphasis on the whole child, the requirement/privilege of weekly parental involvement in the classroom, and the community we've found is something I never expected. The parents are intimately involved in running the school, and if something doesn't work, you can pitch in and fix it. My son loves going to school, is ahead of his grade level expectations and says he wishes he could go to the OC through college.

Amount of homework: Strongly agree

The OC doesn't support anything more than nominal amounts of homework since it values family relationships. I couldn't agree more.

My son just started kindergarten at OC this year (2016). We wanted to be part of a community in a place that honors kids' individual personalities and pace of learning. I was originally nervous about the time commitment required (3 hours per week per child, but no more than 6 hours). Our experience so far has blown me away. The community is unbelievable - better than I could have imagined. The parents and teachers are dedicated, generous and supportive. My son, who outright refused to go to school a year ago, loves it and constantly says that he wishes he had school on the weekends! We couldn't be happier and are so thankful for the opportunity to know all of our son's peers and their families and to contribute to a stimulating learning environment. In fact, before our son started school this year, we were planning to move out-of-state to be closer to family. We are so happy with our experience at OC so far that we've decided to stay. If you are even contemplating the OC, go to one of the tours and you will feel the positive energy and enthusiasm that emanates from the OC community. So thankful this place exists!

Part I: I was going to wait until the end of the year to write my review but I realize that most parents are making their decisions now and how stressful that choice can be. We chose this school after looking at several great schools in the Salt Lake City District. While this school is a very nice fit for our family and our parenting style, it is definitely not for everyone (and no we are not hippies - not at all). We chose this school because of the following: we liked the philosophy; we wanted to be involved - and had the time to be involved - in our child's education; the small class sizes with a lot of small group interaction with both peers and adults; the blended classrooms (our daughter will be in a 1st/2nd split next year); and we liked that it is a K-8 school. The kids and adults that I have worked with this year have been very engaged, respectful and open-minded. Unfortunately, you will have the occasional adult that is not as engaged as they should be, but that is the case in all aspects of life ... Our daughter has really thrived here and has made a lot of wonderful friends.

Last modified Open Classroom is a Charter school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.