685 students|Granite District

Bad
Good

Both my son (20 years old) attended and daughter (7 years old) has been attending this wonderful school. The current principal was my son's teacher in another school when he was 7-year-old and needed to go to another school (where the principal was trained in gifted program). He was placed in her 5th-grade class due to his advanced learning ability. With training in gifted program, she was very patient with my son by helping him develop organizational skills. Because of her understanding of gifted student's special needs, my son was enjoying his study and adjusting well among older kids. He later attended U of U at 14, and Stanford graduate school at 18. Now, my daughter goes to the same school and my son's former teacher became the principal. She is very approachable, and helpful when we have any questions with my daughter's class. My daughter loves the learning enviroment in this school. I am glad to see such a passionate person as principal.

If I were to rate the French progam, it would be a 4 or 5 star. I'm sure the Magnet program is a 5 star. But the traditional classrooms/attmosphere is just that- NOT traditional at all. I know half of my neighborhood is sending their kids to the other local schools. I don't want my children in a school full of programs (2) and not have a great traditional school. There are no options. And only one regular class per grade. Same class/kids year after year. So unless you are doing one of the programs, I'd choose to not have my child go to this school - like the hundreds of other students who aren't going to Morningside.

Morningside is a great school. The French immersion program is great. The regular classes are excellent. I hear of parents pullings their kids out to go to Oakridge. Oakridge is a fine school, but Morningside is its equal. If your student struggles at Morningside, they will also struggle at Oakridge. It has nothing to do with the school, only the parents attitude.

Morningside was a big disappointment for me. The principal is not very approachable and when you meet with her about concerns, her attitude is that she can't do anything. The lower grades are assigned drop off and pick up on the side of the school that doesn't have drop off lanes. So, there is a lot of double parking and dangerous situations that the lower grades have to navigate through just to get to the building. This becomes a huge concern when there is snow since the school is on a hill. I definitely think the French immersion and magnet programs are nice to have at the school. But I keep asking myself, would anyone stay at Morningside if they didn't have these programs? Probably not. With that being said, 5 students in our kindergarten class moved to different schools because Morningside just couldn't get their act together.

Morningside was the best decision I've made for my daughter who started 1st grade this year. The school overall has a very progressive attitude towards education. It houses the district's magnet program, a French-immersion program, and standard classes. The teachers and principal are focused on providing the best education for all the kids in the school. The PTA is supportive and communicative and offers an amazing variety of programs for the students -- everything from dance to foreign language (in addition to the immersion program) to service to chess clubs. It's a terrific educational environment!

Last modified Morningside School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.