Salt Lake City, UT

Posted September 30, 2014
Oakridge is an amazing school. Our current principal is very inter-active with all students and parents. She has taken the time to get to know our community and supported us in a very positive way. Our teachers are nothing but top notch! If you have any concerns, I suggest that you talk with them, it has always worked for me. The only way that wouldn't work for you if is you have your own personal agenda. If so, take advantage of the open enrollment and find a better fit for your child. You would be doing all of us a favor!

Posted September 24, 2014
Part I: Regarding the September 4th comment and those addressing it: I am a "drop-off" parent who selected Oakridge (thank goodness for open enrollment!) for my children starting at kindergarten because I was so impressed with the combination of strong academics and arts programs. I am distressed to see art, music, dance, drama and physical education programs disappearing from our schools and am thrilled that the Oakridge parents, teachers and administration still value these for our students. I was nervous about the change in principal and it's potential effect on these programs. I've been pleased to see that she is supporting the unique programs we value. I have also been very impressed with the warm relationship she's formed with students as well as her maturity and diplomacy with parents. She has my full support. She stepped into some awfully large shoes and I hope the community will continue to support her as she gains more experience. (continued in Part II...)

Posted September 24, 2014
Part II: While involved parents would like all things to be to the advantage of their children, and I include myself in this, the reality is that they need to face challenges, including a less-than-perfect school teacher or peers with different challenges than their own, to become the independent, wise, resilient, kind adults we want them to be. I hope I can teach my children how to address challenges in constructive ways and help support the people with whom we share the school experience so it can be a positive, growing experience for everyone. If there are issues or areas that need to be improved how can we address them in a respectful, transparent way? The schools already have an overwhelming task requiring much sacrifice from those who choose education as their occupation. We should be asking how we can provide them with more support so that the exceptional ones will remain at Oakridge and those who have room for improvement will be motivated to become better.

Posted September 22, 2014
Oakridge is an amazing school with dedicated and caring teachers, administration, parents and students. The arts and music programs are integrated into each classroom providing a balanced education between creativity and academics. We have lived in the school boundaries for 10+ years and are happy with the open enrollment. My children have made friends from all over the city and this diversity just strengthens the school. The new principal and the old principal both support the arts/music programs and the volunteers in the school, which contributes to the great learning environment at Oakridge. As a parent, if you are unhappy with a school, then volunteer in the classroom and make a positive change for your children, the school and yourself.

Posted September 19, 2014
If you think pressing a button on a copy machine or stapling paper to a bulletin beard earns you the right to judge the faculty or principal of a school, you are surely giving yourself much more credibility than you deserve. How dare you try to evaluate the merits of teachers when you are clearly not nor ever have been an educator. You frankly sound like an entitled parent that hasn't gotten their way and so therefore needs to use a forum like this to sheepishly express your unfounded, ignorant feelings. As you stated, this is an open enrollment school, so obviously you are aware that many other schools are also open enrollment. If you have such extreme complaints about Oakridge, one would question why then, would you ever subject yourself or your child to such a toxic environment? Please, do everyone a favor, and take advantage of the open enrollment and take your complaints elsewhere. You'd certainly be much happier somewhere else and the Oakridge population will undoubtedly be much happier without such a negative influence on an amazing school! Good riddance to you!

Posted September 17, 2014
Oakridge Elementary is a GREAT school!! I disagree with the parent's comment of September 4, 2014. My kids have been at Oakridge for 6 years and we have loved every teacher and both the new and old principal.

Posted September 17, 2014
I am responding to the post from September 4th. Oakridge is a fabulous school that offers more than any other public school. We have orchestra, band, dance, drama, visual arts, and general music. Do we really need choir? We have a large % of students that are not within the boundaries and are grateful for the open enrollment because we lack the numbers to sustain the school. Our PTA numbers are up and we received an award for having the highest PTA membership in the district. The special resources that we have are very much needed for several of the students that are within our boundaries. Our principal did not hire any of the new teachers coming into the school last year. They were already hired or sent to us from the district. Our principal has worked tirelessly with Community Council by coming up with ways to build our community. She fully supports the PTA, and welcomes all of the "extras" that we have. This quality is hard to come by in many principals. No matter what school, teacher, or principal one has, it is the parents responsibility to "supplement their child's learning experience". If you are not happy at Oakridge, there are plenty of other schools that you can go to.

Oakridge School 3

Posted September 04, 2014
Oakridge used to be a quality school. Unfortunately over the years, the open enrollment has turned it into a "drop off" school. Each year as the open enrollment permits increase the PTA memberships and volunteers decrease. The majority of students in need of special resources are from outside the footprint. These resources take away from funding other worthwhile programs such as choir. Instead of a behavioral specialist we could have a math specialist. A new principal who does not connect with or relate to the community has added to the deterioration of the school. There is a lack of transparency and accountability. Her leadership style is one of avoidance and dismissiveness. She has hired teachers who lack experience in the field in lieu of highly qualified teachers. What is saving the school right now is the core of parents who diligently prepare their children and supplement their children's educational experience through enhanced learning experiences in the home.

Posted August 23, 2013
Oakridge Elementary is an outstanding school with a highly organized administration and very caring teachers. Everyone I know that has had it as part of their own or their children's lives has nothing but glowing remarks. They offer before school language classes, incorporate music on a regular basis and do many different types of art competitions and programs. Last year my son's Kindergarten class performed an Opera to a children's classic literature book. We haven't been at Oakridge long, but already I can see that parents are very involved in their child's lives with homework and volunteer positions in the classrooms and schools beyond even the PTA. I look forward to many years at Oakridge with my two sons and wish all children could have such a wonderful learning environment.

Posted May 25, 2010
We moved from Cottonwood to Oakridge for my childs 4th grade year. What an improvement!! (WOW) I wish I had changed sooner. We love it!

Oakridge School
4325 South Jupiter Dr, Salt Lake City, UT  84124
Last modified Oakridge School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Oakridge School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 20 reviews. Top