Salt Lake City, UT

Posted May 29, 2014
I have three BHS graduates and have not liked our experience. Socially it was very difficult. One of my kids was considered 'popular' but hung with the party crowd most of whom did not do well in school. My other two were great students and fun kids, one was an athlete and one got super involved in student government. Both had a difficult time finding a group of friends. Academically BHS focuses on making sure the kids graduate and do not miss school. Preparing kids for college, teaching them how to write and helping them learn to be good test takers is NOT the focus. I have had teachers say to me "getting a C is good" and when my student was failing Biology , "we can have her earn extra credit by serving snacks at the girls volleyball game." I complained once when my nearly straight A and AP student was mistakenly docked points in Computer Tech by a notoriously bad teacher. She wouldn't let him do anything to make it up and he was going to be left with a B. The vice principle couldn't understand why this would be upsetting. Coming from the East Coast where it seemed everyone appreciated the value of getting A's to a place where a C was considered 'good' was frustrating.

Brighton High School 3

Posted January 15, 2014
Many of the students here suffer from severe cases of affluenza and diversity is nonexistent. More often than not, the teachers here are grossly unqualified. They are not engaging, nor are they intellectually stimulating. The attendance policy is designed to give your a child a cop out if they choose not to attend school. In many classes students can miss day after day and still receive a passing grade. Vice principals are known to wave their magic wands and make unexcused absences disappear for children they take a particular liking to. Academically, only a select few of the classes are intellectually stimulating. The AP courses have some instructors who are genuinely talented and of high teaching caliber. Unfortunately, Brighton is not innovative in any department. The majority of the education doled out here is very basic. Many of the teachers I had at Brighton, voiced their dissatisfaction with the administration as a whole, and did not agree with many policies implemented by them. Their is a large disconnect between students and teachers, teachers and the administration. This results in a school that does not feel united in any way shape or form.

Posted April 28, 2013
If you are not rich don't bring your child here. Bullying is a huge problem here. Kids who have not been raised with respect but have had money thrown at them. Horrible environment. Not reality. Such a bad thing to submit your kid to. If you want to raise another Kim Cardashian then this is the place.

Posted February 28, 2013
I'm incredibly disappointed at what Brighton HS has provided in terms of educating my daughter. While my other children have attended Charter Schools that I've been extremely pleased with, my one daughter chose Brighton in order to participate in Dance Co.. That choice has come at a high price. There is not a single competent science teacher in the school. My daughter is extremely bright and has been disenchanted with science due to extremely poor instruction. The teacher residing over Dance Co. is emotionally abusive to the girls on a daily basis; using profanity & directing personal insults at the girls. My conversations with the administration have been disappointing at best. If this is the best that a well funded school can provide it is not surprising that this nation is falling behind globally.

Posted June 04, 2012
My daughter attended this school her senior year. I am glad she received the majority of her education in Texas because she sailed through the classes here.She took advanced classes that were teaching what she took in Jr.High ...in Texas. The administration at this School is a joke. Never friendly....give you the run around....and no one is ever on the same page. I could call and get four different answers to the same question. (Yes...really...this actually happened to me two days ago!) They never apologize for their incompetence either. They just look at you like you're crazy. My daughter was also an honor role student and technically graduated early. She stayed in for the last trimester to take fun classes. She missed a few days of school due to migraines and had to make them up after school. And pay money for it!! That's one thing they really care about at that school. They wont talk to you about anything until fees are paid!! I'm so glad I never have to deal with that front office again!

Posted February 20, 2012
There have been students at this school who have missed over 50 class periods and the VP has erased the absences. This is not right for all the other kids that miss a few classes and they come down hard on them. Obviously the counselor and the VP need to be repremanded by the Canyon District Office to which I will be writing a formal complaint. This school is the worst.

Posted February 17, 2012
There is a 10th grade English teacher at Brighton High School who, every parent and student I've spoken with, thinks should be avoided at all costs. (Her first and last name together remind one of a professional skateboarder.) She has been cruel, sarcastic and inflexible with the students in her class. She seems especially intolerant of boys. The administration is well aware of parental concerns and student outrage but seem unwilling or unable to do anything about it.

Posted August 15, 2011
Brighton has a lot to offer in academics, sports, and clubs. the teachers are excellent and supportive. Kids are friendly and accepting of new kids. Great school!

Posted August 13, 2011
My child is going there now into 11th grade and last year he love it! I personally believe it is the best high school in the area.

Posted September 07, 2009