Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (2 responses)

Teacher effectiveness: Somewhat effective

Posted November 23, 2015
The immersion teachers are very effective and inspiring - the other teachers are ineffective -

Butler School 2

Posted November 23, 2015
The school is sub-par - horrible communication, principal only cares about the fancy new building, not the actual students, immersion teachers are great, rest of teachers are terrible and only teaching to pass the standardize testing, school teachers and administrators stifle individuality and bright students, if you didn't grow up in the neighborhood then your kid will not be accepted, very cliquey, embarrassment to education.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted August 21, 2015
Honesty, integrity and fairness is no where to be found in this school. This school show favoritism and some kids are reprimanded and others are not for the same behavior.

Posted August 21, 2015
I'm extremely disappointed in this school. The teachers are pretty nice (some) for the most part. The administration office, including the principal is a different story. The secretaries are incredibly rude and bias when dealing with other student. We're never greeted with a warm friendly face, instead with a cold look of annoyance. Were currently looking for a different school to put our child in. My child is a minority and the racism and prejudice my child has to witness is unbelievable. My child is treated differently from other kids, kids in the school make racist comments and nothing is done about it. The recess aid makes it appoint to follow my child around the entire recess, when there are 100's of other kids she could watch. This school is joke. I highly recommend to reconsider this school, especially if your child is a minority. Also, there is not art, music or science classes taught as this school.

Butler School 4

Posted April 28, 2014
My children have enjoyed Butler Elementary School. One has a very small class size and one has a larger class size in the French Immersion program. The school has the Meet the Masters program, they have art, keyboarding and PE. There is an after school French Choir. The school sponsors a First Lego League team. The only complaints from my children are that the ladies in the lunch room yell a lot and the supervisors of their lunch recess are not very friendly. My only complaint is that the teachers seem very overwhelmed with teaching the new Common Core and preparing for testing. I would like to see more emphasis on the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) The school no longer offers a Science Fair, mostly due to lack of enthusiasm by parents/students. I have easily met with the Principal and she has always been receptive. The school is old, but always very clean and well-kept. The school will be rebuilt on the same property over the next year or so. That will cause a few problems with space, but will be worth it with a brand new school!

Butler School 5

Posted May 22, 2013
Butler Rocks. My kiddo loves the school and her teachers. The homework was pretty heavy for first grade but she came away learning a great deal. We are not Mormon and have always been made to feel very welcome by everyone. The complaints lodged about that are simply untrue.

Butler School 3

Posted May 10, 2013
Butler elementary is excellent on offering extra-curricular activities. There are parent sponsored activities like a French after school choir and a chess club. There are also activities at the school offered through community ed. like Mad Science, Bricks for Kids, and dance. The library also has fun enrichment activities several times a year. The PTA also sponsors fun evening activities a few times a year. World Night is lots of fun, along with family game night. PTA is very involved and always looking for new people. I am not a member because they meet in the mornings and I work in the mornings. But I do volunteer with some activities. I am not LDS and not from Utah and I was not ever excluded in any way. In fact if you pick your kids up in the afternoon and park and get out of your car it is very easy to meet other parents and PTA members. They are always seeking people to get involved. As for academics, I love the French immersion program and my son definitely has music and P.E. I do think sometimes there are too many worksheets.

Posted April 19, 2013
We found the educational focus very limited. No science, no PE, no Arts, no music. While they're funds limited (lowest funded school district in the nation!), there is no outreach effort to the parents to try and fill the gaps through parental participation. We found the curriculum limited, unimaginative, and only focused on getting the kids through the testing requirements. When ask have the teacher give our child different workbooks that would let him excel at his level, we were rebuffed... and told we want to communicate too much about his status and progress. The principal wasn't helpful either. If you want least common denominator education, this is your place. But if you are looking for an enriching environment, look elsewhere.

Butler School 3

Posted April 19, 2013
When commenting about a school, feel free to use correct spelling and grammar. Just sayin'.

Posted June 26, 2012
We moved here to salt lake city utah August of 2011. At the time we lived in a hotel till we bought a house. The only school we could go to was Butler. The secretery in the front was outstanding as my child teacher. As the school year started for our 5th grader, problems has began. We are Jewish and my daughter was harrassed for not being mormon. The principal never met with us or even took the time to get to know new comers. PTA was poor and unwelcoming, I tried to be an involved parent but got the cold shoulder once they found out I am not mormon. Home room mom never contacted me to inclued us or make us feel welcome. We are going tomove to Woodstock elementary for 6th grade since it is our neighborhood and hoping for a better year on the social aspect. I would never recommend Butler to anyone.

2700 East 7000 South, Salt Lake City, UT  84121