Salt Lake City, UT

Posted April 25, 2014
Things have really gone downhill at this school over the past few years. I have nothing but great things to say about the teachers who have taught my child, but the principal lacks leadership skills and has not made real efforts to get to know his students. The joy my daughter used to experience by attending this school has gone away as the programs that made it fun to be there have disappeared, and I have seen school pride - from parents, students, and teachers - hit an all time low this year. I loved Canyon View. I've given a lot of time and energy to this school over the years and I adore the teachers, but I am learning that parent involvement and great teachers aren't enough without a solid leader.

Posted February 02, 2014
We have 3 children in this school. We volunteer regularly and have seen a lot of good parent involvement in the school. We are very happy with the teachers and the class sizes. The school has an orchestra which is a great benefit.

Posted February 02, 2014
Excellent school with great teachers and students. The staff is very friendly, and they work to ensure a safe environment for our children.

Posted December 09, 2013
In Salt Lake, "school hopping" seems to be the trend as of late. More and more families are leaving their neighborhood schools and looking for greener pastures at other public schools. As a parent, I've felt pressure to seek out another school for my children other than the one a few blocks away... Canyon View. I'm so glad I didn't cave to peer pressure! Our daughters adore their school, and the education they're receiving is top notch. We've been at this school for three years now and have had excellent teachers each year. If you live within the boundaries of this school, consider yourself lucky. We certainly do.

Posted November 21, 2013
Congrats to Canyon View for receiving an "A" grade on the first ever Utah State Office of Education report card. I noticed that a decent number of elementary schools in the area received "9" scores from greatschools.org, but a small minority of these same schools also received A grades from the state. A huge accomplishment... once again showing that Canyon View is best elementary around. Keep it up CV!!

Posted August 23, 2013
I have a kindergartner starting at this school and so far am very impressed. The school staff and teaches have been very helpful and accommodating. They care very much about the students and making sure the school has a safe and fun leaning environment.

Posted August 02, 2012
Overall this has been a good school. Be warned there are VERY good teachers and really bad teachers. The new principal is great, and very proactive! He has the kids walk down the red carpet the first day of school, which was really fun. Kindergarten teachers are AWESOME! Both are very good. First grade there is only ONE good teacher. Second grade I can only recommend not getting teacher that are doing the job share! Third grade is mixed, you can get a very relaxed teacher, and then a very strict teacher. Forth grade has one teacher who yells and makes the kids cry, and another that is just not active with the students. Overall it is a good school. Excellent parent involvement A lot of parents are permitting their 5th grade(school year 2013-14) kids to Granite School District because the 6th graders in Canyons School Dist. are being moved into the Middle schools.

Canyon View School 4

Posted May 16, 2012
Ok, I think that anybody who has the time to complain about their own public school should reevaluate their time. If you see a problem with your school then don't become part of the problem but help to solve it. Tearing down the teachers or the principal isn't going to do anything but hurt them. I am not a full time staff member here, I'm a district staff that works part of my time at this school. The new principal is working very hard to make improvements in the school and the community but that can't change overnight. It takes time and the more support from the community the school gets will only help the school improve faster. If you have a problem, the new principal is really great to talk to. He will listen to your concerns and put solutions into practice.

Posted January 18, 2012
My two children currently attend school at Canyon View and have made many friends, but have learned very little. Perhaps my expectations are a bit high for Utah, as my kids have attended school in two other states before moving here, but I can't help feeling surprised each week at the low expectations teachers have for their students. We are halfway through the year and the second graders are still working on +/- 6, only up to 12 or so, which is a real downgrade from the double-digit math my child started learning in first grade. My fourth grader used to get separated into asvanced math and reading groups, but the teachers stopped doing this because the students were too noisy when changing rooms--definitely not the most constructive way to solve the problem! The PTA this year seems very disorganized--taking five months to get the phone directory printed, and hosting a fall pizza social that was chaotic at best. Meet the Masters, Sudio Kids, and Mad Science are nice perks, but the school is really wanting more programs, a gym teacher, an art teacher in an art room, a language class, etc. A good school--if you're looking for nothing but the basics for an average child.

Canyon View School 2

Posted August 05, 2011
My daughter was only at this school for first grade, so my experience is limited. I understand from friends that the Kindergarten teachers at this school are excellent. There will be a new Principal at the school for the 2011/2012 school year, so comments about the past Principal are pointless. I thought the amount of homework for a first grader during the first part of the year was very excessive, but the teachers got together mid-year and changed course. After that, it became 15-30 min. of reading plus work on math facts, at parent discretion. I did not feel there was much acceptance of difference of any sort. No ethnic diversity here, and almost no religious diversity (as with many SLC public schools, the dominant religion in our state shows through).

Canyon View School