Salt Lake City, UT

Posted August 10, 2014
I was nervouse at first when my son transferred to a new school, and completely overwhelmed by the warmth and the welcoming feeling my son and I received from the Principal, Facaulty, parents, and most importantly students that we were part of a new loving safe and fun community. The parent involvement is incredible, the halls are always filled with volunteers and friendly faces. My son adored his new teacher and though he is very shy he adapted more quickly than I had anticipated. He loves all of his new friends and continues to ask me how much longer until school starts, because he can't wait to come back! He had been struggling with his reading skills at his previous school, yet excelled at Emerson, I believe as a result of the individualized attention he recieved from his teacher and the many parent volunteers!

Posted September 13, 2013
Emerson is an excellent school. I love the principle, everyone that works at Emerson seems to love their job. When you walk into the school its like you just entered Happy Valley. Some how the principle knows everyone's name, kids and parents.

Emerson School 3

Posted February 28, 2013
The principal Mr. Bergman is amazing. He is thoughtful and engaged and makes each child feel awesome. My son would feel lost in the crowd if it weren't for Mr. Bergman. I do however feel some teachers are a hindrance to the school, almost robotic, unconcerned in important areas and overly concerned in personal or private areas. Sadly from the start my son was character "typed" and the teacher has failed to be his friend and has failed to know him as an individual. At SEP conferences with my child present, the teacher talked about him instead of to him. My son has mentioned that he doesn't feel listened to and I certainly don't feel heard as a parent. At times I feel the school is about results and not quality. I often feel they want the children to have a "collective" style education rather than cultivate individualism and creativity.

Posted February 28, 2013
The principal, Mr. Bergman, is real asset and driver of this school. He sets a "rock star" tone with students and teachers. My child loves his Kindergarten teacher. We were skeptical with this being the teacher's first year, but her energy and methods are working wonderfully. The parent involvement in daily classroom activities is similar to what you would expect in an ELP program. I hope this is true in the other classes as well. Keep it up!

Posted May 07, 2012
We love the new principal. Mr. Bergman is so fully involved with the school and the student body. He knows the kids by name and has made a huge difference. Our son's first grade teacher, Mrs. Lund is totally dedicated to our child's success. We couldn't be more pleased. We pulled our son out of private school to attend this neighborhood school after the pocket park cross talk started lighting up over the new principal and the changes he was making. We are not disappointed. Props to the drama and art teacher too for keeping the arts in school. Heather

Posted August 11, 2011
I'm a parent of two boys heading to first and second grade (2011-12) and I'm writing this review because I don't feel the older reviews are relevant because of the dramatic changes in leadership at Emerson in the past year. There is a new, visionary, enthusiastic principal who is on his game and then some. His attitude and actions have transformed Emerson from a good school to an extraordinary school. He's pulling talented teachers to the school, and keeping the morale among existing parents, students, and teachers high. The school population is diverse (racially and economicalyl), and I believe that is a good thing for all of us. I feel so fortunate. The principal has made personal phone calls to me to ensure I'm heard and happy. Emerson is now a fabulous school. One principal has made the difference.

Emerson School 0

Posted September 28, 2009
All students' needs are met!

Posted September 03, 2009
Principal needs to get involved with school and makes some GOOD changes. The teachers are great, knowing the students and parents and are doing the best they can with an ineffective principal. Take your students there for the great teachers and PTA involvement

Posted August 12, 2009
I have been more than pleased with my children's experience and education at Emerson. I have 3 children who have all had caring, informed teachers. My children are bright and need to be challenged, they have been at Emerson. It is also easy to get involved as a parent. The school's PTA works well with the faculty and staff. The support staff are caring, know every child and more often than not, their parents too. The principal works with a diverse student and faculty population very well. My and my children's time has been well spent at Emerson Elementary.

Emerson School 0

Posted March 19, 2009
Sadly, I agree, the principal doesn't encourage innovation and doesn't seem to want to improve the school . He is too afraid of breaking rules to incorporate any new quality programs. While some teachers are great, there are a few that just punch the clock. It certainly isn't all it can be and without a progressive administration it never will be.

Emerson School
1017 East Harrison Ave, Salt Lake City, UT  84105
Last modified Emerson School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Emerson School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 12 reviews. Top