Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

I can't agree more with the last review. Since the new principal this school has declined, severally! The front office staff is BY FAR THE WORST STAFF IN THE NATION! They are rude, sterile and sloppy looking. To say my children attend Emerson used to be (When The precious princple was in office) a statement of pride. Now, that can't be further from the truth. If you can avoid this school, do. If you can't do your research on the teachers. There are select few that are good and actually care.

This is the least friendliest school. You can always find a teacher gossiping in the corner and the majority are pretty sterile. When answering questions they are vague, and if you ask for them to clarify to get a better understanding they seem annoyed. The principle is the WORST principle. Nothing about her is professional and for the longest time I thought she was the lunch lady. If you see her in the halls she represents the school like a janitor and will most likely just walk past you. It's as if she has no confidence in the school so she tries to disassociate herself with it. It's just weird. She also is no help when dealing with problems. She basically could be a plant in the room.... that needs watering. The only time I've seen her light up is when she touched my child and I think she was concerned about what they may have said about the incident. In fact my child did say something that I didn't even pay attention to (kids say weird stuff all the time) until she brought it up. It was super sketchy and still bothers me. Every event I have went to the teachers are unwilling to add any energy to them. They sit like a bunch of wallflowers talking to themselves. I really can not say I know one friendly teacher in this school.... maybe the nice teacher are locked up somewhere in the school. Someone should check that out. Actually, it may be contagious because some of their aids just stare at you like a zombies, or run away from you. Literally, one of them just stared at me with this cold look on her face. I thought I was in the twilight zone and got the chills. Every time I looked up she was just staring at me. If it weren't for the parents and children this place would have the atmosphere of a prison. I avoid going inside at all cost because I do not feel welcome.

I was nervouse at first when my son transferred to a new school, and completely overwhelmed by the warmth and the welcoming feeling my son and I received from the Principal, Facaulty, parents, and most importantly students that we were part of a new loving safe and fun community. The parent involvement is incredible, the halls are always filled with volunteers and friendly faces. My son adored his new teacher and though he is very shy he adapted more quickly than I had anticipated. He loves all of his new friends and continues to ask me how much longer until school starts, because he can't wait to come back! He had been struggling with his reading skills at his previous school, yet excelled at Emerson, I believe as a result of the individualized attention he recieved from his teacher and the many parent volunteers!

Emerson is an excellent school. I love the principle, everyone that works at Emerson seems to love their job. When you walk into the school its like you just entered Happy Valley. Some how the principle knows everyone's name, kids and parents.

The principal Mr. Bergman is amazing. He is thoughtful and engaged and makes each child feel awesome. My son would feel lost in the crowd if it weren't for Mr. Bergman. I do however feel some teachers are a hindrance to the school, almost robotic, unconcerned in important areas and overly concerned in personal or private areas. Sadly from the start my son was character "typed" and the teacher has failed to be his friend and has failed to know him as an individual. At SEP conferences with my child present, the teacher talked about him instead of to him. My son has mentioned that he doesn't feel listened to and I certainly don't feel heard as a parent. At times I feel the school is about results and not quality. I often feel they want the children to have a "collective" style education rather than cultivate individualism and creativity.

The principal, Mr. Bergman, is real asset and driver of this school. He sets a "rock star" tone with students and teachers. My child loves his Kindergarten teacher. We were skeptical with this being the teacher's first year, but her energy and methods are working wonderfully. The parent involvement in daily classroom activities is similar to what you would expect in an ELP program. I hope this is true in the other classes as well. Keep it up!

We love the new principal. Mr. Bergman is so fully involved with the school and the student body. He knows the kids by name and has made a huge difference. Our son's first grade teacher, Mrs. Lund is totally dedicated to our child's success. We couldn't be more pleased. We pulled our son out of private school to attend this neighborhood school after the pocket park cross talk started lighting up over the new principal and the changes he was making. We are not disappointed. Props to the drama and art teacher too for keeping the arts in school. Heather

I'm a parent of two boys heading to first and second grade (2011-12) and I'm writing this review because I don't feel the older reviews are relevant because of the dramatic changes in leadership at Emerson in the past year. There is a new, visionary, enthusiastic principal who is on his game and then some. His attitude and actions have transformed Emerson from a good school to an extraordinary school. He's pulling talented teachers to the school, and keeping the morale among existing parents, students, and teachers high. The school population is diverse (racially and economicalyl), and I believe that is a good thing for all of us. I feel so fortunate. The principal has made personal phone calls to me to ensure I'm heard and happy. Emerson is now a fabulous school. One principal has made the difference.

Principal needs to get involved with school and makes some GOOD changes. The teachers are great, knowing the students and parents and are doing the best they can with an ineffective principal. Take your students there for the great teachers and PTA involvement

Last modified Emerson School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.