Uintah School 4

Posted August 13, 2013
Good things about Uintah: location, school building, parent involvement. The test scores are high, but I really think this is largely because it pulls from a more affluent neighborhood with involved parents rather than from anything the school itself is doing "right." The building itself is very nice. Clean, secure, good natural lighting for a school, etc. There are some nice programs and the parents are relatively involved. On the negative side: class size is very large. They really cannot do much for kids outside of the norm (especially if they are very bright or unique thinkers). Also, I am not impressed with the new Principal. She has almost zero communication with the parent and in the little communication she does have it does not feel that she really cares about directly engaging the parents or the community. I was at school quite often and her presence at the school, other than appearing at school-wide meetings for announcements, was minimal. She inherited a great school so it is probably easy to coast, but she could do so much more. The parents are so very eager to be involved, but there doesn't seem to be the responsiveness back from the administration.

Uintah School 1

Posted June 20, 2013
The student to teacher ratio is unrealistic. My son was terrified of his tyrannical teacher because he needed more one on one time but was screamed at when he approached her. It's not a good school for any child who needs more time, or has an IEP.

Uintah School 5

Posted January 11, 2013
We have been on the private-public fence for a few years now, and continue to choose Uintah for its amazing parent involvement, loving, smart, enthusiastic teachers, and great facilities. I think there is a truism in that you will not get excellence in every teacher experience regardless if you are paying hefty private school tuition or are in a public school. I think that the drawback continues to be that the school must t"each the test" and that takes away from room for more innovation, creativity in teaching, and new learning techniques such as open age learning, so those will same math level all end up in multi-age classroom for math, those needing more attention with reading might all be reading level gathered for that segment, etc. When we had large class sizes in 3rd G. the Principle responded immediately and highered a new teacher! Awesome can do attitude here at Uintah.

Uintah School 5

Posted September 19, 2012
My children and I have loved Uintah Elementary. The teachers are kind, attentive, hard-working, and fun. My children have excelled at this school. The parental involvement is great. The only negative is the large class sizes, especially in the higher grades. My son is in 5th grade, and there are 34 students in his class.

Posted September 19, 2009
Uintah is great because the teachers, administrators, and parents all work together for the kids!

Posted September 16, 2009
Super teachers! Super facilities!

Uintah School 3

Posted February 03, 2009
We enjoyed Uintah. Parental involvement was very high. Good teachers made all the difference. The art program was excellent. It was mostly ran by volunteers, PTA and some other moneys. There is a good neighborhood feeling. Kids learn standard-based education in a loving and supporting environment. There are solid options for accelerated learners as well as special needs children. There are other after school-affiliated programs that my son attended: Spanish and Skiing. I loved it.

Uintah School 2

Posted March 28, 2008
this school was ok for what if has to work with so I'm pleased but not pleased with it at the same time if you know what I mean. the class room are to full of children and over power the teacher.

Posted November 28, 2007
My daughter is a 1st grader this year and so far LOVES her school! From my perspective she is learning a lot, is having fun, and has made good friends. There seems to be a good balance of creativity and academics. My daughter has made so much progress this year in her reading. I am very happy with Uintah so far.

Uintah School 3

Posted November 27, 2007
Because of high test scores, we do not get funding for in class aides, etc. The parents are the ones who teach art and much of the music in the classroom. Too much emphasis on no child left behind. And the class sizes are just too large. The level of homework seems excessive and there is pressure to make the test scores 'fit.' We don't even have an in house school nurse. Without the intense parent involvement, the children would be lost. I wish all teachers were as innovative and child centered as those in the lower grades (e.G. K-2). It's too bad we need to donate money directly in the classrooms because our school does not qualify for anything 'extra' as some other schools that have lower aggregate test scores do. It's unfair to the teachers who have no time to help a struggling student in a class of 30.

Uintah School
1571 East 1300 South, Salt Lake City, UT  84105
Last modified Uintah School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Uintah School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 13 reviews.