2,403 students|Salt Lake District

Bad
Good

Very diverse school. Teachers are understanding except one teacher. Counsellors help you alot, and great clubs

Amount of homework: Agree

Sometimes, it feels like teachers are just placing large amounts of homework for no reason, but we learn so much when we do it that if we didn't, we would fall behind in class. Homework is essential for a complete wholesome learning experience.

Develops character: Strongly agree

Of course like most schools, there are some students who will not be honest or fair with others. However, when you look at the whole of the school, you can see that teachers place strong rules that are followed in the classroom and are able to mold the students into their true selves.

The teachers are so caring about students and the friends I've made are wonderful. I am truly challenged at West High and I have learned so much. I know I am getting a quality education, which can be difficult to get in recent years.

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly agree

West High School is a wonderful school. They have many clubs, sports, and activities that you can join. They also have AP and IB programs and wonderful teachers that help the students in their studies. Whatever you do, DO NOT CONSIDER THE GRADE. It's been listed as the number one school and the reason for greatschool's grade is that there are many refugees and second language learners there. Honestly, if the world placed all Tests in multiple languages for those learners, the grades would be much higher. The students are very intelligent and you are sure to find your best fit in the first few weeks of attending.

great high school with proven rekord of tradition, loyalty and integrity. Academically also very good.

If you are a motivated, involved student, then West High is a fantastic place to be! The school honors, AP and IB programs are fantastic, and if you want to be challenged at West there are loads of amazing teachers ready to help you. I think it is possible to slip through the cracks at a place as big as West, but with motivation and the amazing support from teachers, you can get a world-class education. West also has a huge array of extracurriculars, sports, and clubs available. The socioeconomic and racial diversity is a huge plus in Salt Lake City--truly a great place for smart kids! I graduated from West IB and now attend a top tier liberal arts college, and I felt better prepared than most of my college classmates for the academic rigor of my school. I got a truly amazing education at West, and I give it the highest recommendation for students like myself, who want to seek out the opportunities and challenge themselves.

This is a magnet school and that means that you have to look beyond test scores. It is big and public and is a good fit- in my opinion- for kids who are bright and/or unconventional and who have pretty involved parents. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else. They have made friends with kids who have varied backgrounds, religions, and interests. In our case, I think my children have benefited from being with people who live in different circumstances. This year the Student Government at this school decided to try to raise "$3,000 in three minutes" to benefit a resource center the school established to help some of the poorest families. They raised $9,000. That says a lot to me. The administration has been wonderful even though they struggle with funds and overwork like everybody else. As for the teachers? My daughter attends College at a top ten research University and she is doing very well there- obviously the teachers have done a great job preparing her for college. This is not a private school and you have to be on the job- but some parents are so dedicated to the program that they support it long after their children have stopped benefiting. Isn't that what it's all about?

I can't recommend this school enough! My son attended five different schools in Davis Co. all with horrible bullying, nepotism and bias problems. (My kid has had straight A's in Honors classes the whole time, is white, very athletic, but not mormon!) Once entering West High School I was overjoyed at the happiness I witnessed in him! The rating of 5 at this school is way under rated! This place embraces an academically challenging programs with an AMAZING supportive staff, faculty AND administration who are loving and caring! We loved the diversity and loved the school spirit! The back to school night was the best I have ever experienced in 11 years with three kids in different schools. This school offers opportunities in whatever you would like to do at any time. Kids, teachers, parents, of all ethnicities, religious preferences and economic backgrounds all support and embrace each other. This education model works! The only thing I wish could change is that more parents would come support the band, music, and theatre programs... the kids need them! A truly balanced and strong academic program and a great lifetime experience we will never forget. Once a panther, always a panther.

I attended West High for all 4 years back and LOVED IT!!! Great teachers who really care and experiencing an environment that is diverse and enriching. I now live in Gilbert AZ, and I wish my high school aged children could really experience what having school spirit is all about.

Last modified West High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.