Salt Lake City, UT

Whittier School 1

Posted August 04, 2014
This school caters to the bussed in ELP students and does its best to alienate community students and parents. If you are looking for a free and appropriate education for a student with any kind of a learning disability you may want to look elsewhere.

Whittier School 1

Posted August 04, 2014
This school fosters an environment that encourages discrimination and Bullying. It may be a great school if you are looking to have your students come home in tears. The school caters to ELP students and their parents allowing them to set school wide policy for an economically disadvantaged area. One example of this is their restrictive dress code. The bullying is not just instigated by students the administration also feel the right to bully students. If you care about student safety I do not recommend sending your students to Whittier as their staff have breached student confidentiality repeatedly even after issues were brought to the administrations attention. If you are a sheep and your students a sheep then this is the school for you. If you wish for your students to be free thinking contributing members of society I would find another school no matter the cost.

Whittier School 5

Posted May 03, 2013
This school is amazing! They have wonderful programs for gifted students and they encourage kids to embrace diversity. This school is in a wonderful, caring community with other parents who share the same goals and standards for their children. The staff expects excellence from their students, but also knows how to create a fun environment. My son learned so much just in the first few weeks of Kindergarten. I would HIGHLY recommend this school to other parents.

Whittier School 5

Posted November 18, 2011
I loved our time at Whittier Elementary. We were SO sad to leave this school when we moved out of state. I feel the school does amazing things given the many cultures present in the school; which can pose a problem when there are many students who do not speak English as their first language. They are a Title 1 school, which allows for more funding, and gives extra help to the students who need it. The ELP program, offered through the Salt Lake School District, is one of the best gifted programs not only in the state, but beyond. The music program offered at Whittier is amazing; how many elementary schools have a piano lab and offer group lessons as part of the regular school curriculum? I am also impressed by the Latin class each student attends once a week again as part of the regular curriculum. The school has an amazing computer lab, a great library, and plenty of space for the children to run and play during recess. Mrs. Parker, the principal, was a kind, caring administrator as well as a strict leader for the students. The school emphasizes parent involvement and even offers prize drawings for parents who volunteer. I highly recommend Whittier Elementary.

Whittier School 4

Posted August 08, 2008
ELP program at Whittier is well above my expectations. My child learned to read at an above average level in just a few months while in KG! Their math skills after finishing KG were also amazing, and well beyond their grade level. The ELP teachers seem to be very nurturing, and encourage parents to be as involved as they wish in the classrooms. The school itself on the otherhand, could be better organized, and less chaotic well classes let out, but overall, its acceptable for us, since we are so pleased with the ELP program our child is in.

Whittier School 0

Posted December 08, 2007
I rate the school a100 for sending the many cards from the kids. I posted as many as I could in the AGE Shop. I pass the rest of the hand made card to other shop. AGE/Shop TSgt M. Arthur Sheppard

Whittier School 4

Posted February 09, 2006
Great music, art and theatre programs! Excellent gifted (extended learning/ELP program. Highly recommended.

Whittier School
1600 South 300 East, Salt Lake City, UT  84115
Last modified Whittier School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Whittier School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 7 reviews. Top