No rating

Rowland Hall

Private | PK-12 | 66 students

Living in Salt Lake City

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $359,600. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $770.

Posted February 14, 2011

Our family has been connected with Rowland Hall for over 10 years; I wish every child had the chance to go to a school as fine as this one. We have been so impressed with the educated, creative, professional faculty; at each stage they have established a curriculum that was challenging, interesting and developmentally appropriate. They have known when to push a student a little harder or when to suggest that extra support might be needed. We have the utmost respect for the administration as well; it is clear that their number one interest is the education and well being of each individual child. You'll hear it often when people describe our school, Rowland Hall is a community of learners. We are so fortunate to be part of this community.

Posted February 11, 2011

Our son has been a student at Rowland Hall since he was four years old. He is now in the tenth grade. We value education and are grateful for RHSM especially here in Utah where the public school system reflects gross underfunding. we wanted our son to have college prep curriculum in a community that was not driven by a religious affiliation. Rowland Hall at one time had strong ties to the Episcopal church, but that is no longer the case. The heart and soul of the school is the highly qualified and creative faculty. Rowland Hall is open minded, progressive and dedicated to the well-rounded education of it's students. Classes are small, and there is an emphasis on community service. our son is on the debate team which has excellent direction as does the jazz band,(our son is a drummer) also with exemplary direction. Rowland Hall is a school that continues to look at itself for constant innovation, sustainability programs, and new opportunities for it's students as they prepare to take their place as productive adults. what a school!

Posted February 10, 2011

I am a fifth year parent children at Rowland Hall and we couldn't be happier with the education our kids are getting. The curriculum is inspiring and is spot on with what the kids need. The opportunity to be challenged and excel is around every corner. The teachers are wonderful, they are approachable and stay in good contact with the parents. We continue to have wonderful experiences with Rowmark, the school's ski team, and will let out kids continue to ski with the team as long as they wish. The support from the parent community is wonderful and the the friends we have made here are for life. We are thrilled with the school!

Posted February 10, 2011

My child started in the beginning school this year and I have been extremely pleased with her experience. Her teachers are fantastic and have made a real effort to know my child and our family. The same is true of the principal. I have found the other parents in my child's class to be warm and friendly. My child always comes home from school happy. I feel we have made an excellent investment in our child's future and I look forward to what the next school year will bring.

Posted February 10, 2011

Rowland Hall is a community in every sense of the word. The inspiration to learn and the ability of the faculty to engage each child to do so, in their individual way, is invaluable. Our daughter is in her fifth year, and has grown in every way. Both socially and academically, the school provides and encourages "big picture" thinking and acceptance of all people. The student population provides a wide range of socioeconomic and cultural backgrounds -- You cannot find a snapshot with the variety of student anywhere else in Utah. You won't find a broader range of student body, staff and faculty all coming together to "walk the talk" of the school's mission : http://www.rowlandhall.org/experience/values.php We could not be more happy with our experience after six years, and it just gets better year after year!

Posted January 30, 2011

We come from families of teachers and educators and have been so disappointed with this school. The parents behave like children themselves, forming cliques and social groups in which gossip and badmouthing prevails. Teachers lack a genuine sense of compassion and caring. Kids are very rowdy and wild, classrooms have little boundaries. Security at the school is non-existent and there is little effort by principals to walk around and get to know kids/parents (they remain holed-up in their offices.) They have a standard regime and are unable to help advanced kids or very bright ones; they encourage you to hold your bright kids back to the classroom standard, telling you to focus on "social skills." while in the meantime your advanced child is bored senseless. If you do decide to leave the school, they will not contact you or attempt to find out why -- it's as-if you were never there at all. They hand out school handbooks, then you realize rules and guidelines set forth there are not even enforced. Hugly overpriced for what you actually get.

Posted October 31, 2010

Rowland Hall is for a particular bracket of well-to-do student. If your High Schooler is compliant and organized (and also ok with largely superficial relationships), Rowland Hall may serve him/her well. However, if your student is at all unique, has differences, or is super-bright, and you begin to see issues - move out fast! The Administration will placate but they only know how to adhere to a traditional approach in education. It can take several years to figure that out for yourself! A couple of the teachers are very good. The curriculum is challenging - heavy on workload/homework though, but AP classes available, etc. There are many ways to learn, and many ways to grow - Rowland Hall offers one. We transferred to another school that blew our minds with its breadth and depth of student development.

Posted October 31, 2010

As an alumna who graduated from Rowland Hall in 2002, I continue to be grateful for the tremendous education I received. RHSM offered an incredible faculty; indeed, many of the teachers I had in high school rivaled or outperformed professors from my subsequent studies at an Ivy League college. RHSM's college counselor was phenomenal, taking care to meet with and advocate for each student. Perhaps most importantly, my fellow students were unique and motivated. Regarding a few parents' comments on the finances of students' families, it is true that many students came from money, but I did not. I received a full scholarship, yet was well-adjusted socially and excelled academically. I developed friendships with nearly all of my classmates, many of which remain close friends today. I would highly recommend this school to any parent (or student) who values great education, wonderful peers, and a supportive community.

Posted September 1, 2010

Fantastic school I have gone to Rowland Hall my entire life the teachers are fantastic, I learn a lot, and have plenty of friends. The only time a child will not do well at this school is if your child has INTENSE anger or behavioral issues. Many people think this school is church affiliated or if you are different you will not do well. Both are in fact false the school is not a religious school at all and everyone has friends if they are not very mean.

Posted August 6, 2010

Coming from the east coast and two academic families, we had high hopes for this school. Unfortunately, it seems the only distinguishing factor is the kids here come from families with money. If anything, behavior problems seem more significant than at other schools as it attracts kids who are on their 3rd or 4th school for either behavior/emotional issues or for not being able to keep up with curriculum at other schools. Teachers spend the most time and effort with these types of kids: if your kid is well-adjusted or "advanced" academically, they are ignored or forgotten.

Posted March 18, 2010

I m a middle-class single parent and I have been for all five years my child has attended RHSM. Yes, it s a high-end private school. But it s also a place that welcomes families with diverse backgrounds and celebrates every one. My child has experienced incredible growth thanks to the attentive instruction and impressive programs at RHSM. I ve appreciated the way teachers and staff members have listened closely and responded quickly to my questions and concerns. And I ve been grateful for the helpful counselors who give the kids real tools for working through conflicts on their own (with amazing results). Yes, RHSM is expensive. I make many sacrifices for my child to stay there and they re all worth it. I also volunteer at the school whenever possible, only to witness again and again the intelligent, inclusive and progressive way RHSM works. In fact, I ve just renewed our contract for next year.

Posted March 4, 2010

The students for the most part are horrible but the academics are great (for the most part, some teachers seem to think that watching fictional movies counts as teaching). My religious and political views are made fun of, and I hear many gender slurs on a daily basis.

Posted March 3, 2010

The administration really does not care for anything put the money of parents and there is a huge pot problem. Some teachers are stellar others are not.

Posted June 21, 2009

Our children have attended this school for five years and have had the benefit of an excellent education. Low teacher-student ratios and an emphasis on both core subjects as well as computer, art, science, phicical ed. and music helps to educate the whole child. The teaching staff is highly professional and committed to getting the best from their students. The administration and board are the weak links in the school- they have made every effort over the last 5 years to hide the fact that the school offers the sanctuary of an Episcopal chapel and Chaplain (welcoming all) and an outstanding Chapel Program that teaches world religions, spirituality and religious tolerance. Some at the top seem to think the school's connection with the Episcopal Church is a liability, so they removed any religious references from the school crest and name.

Posted May 15, 2009

I love that this isn't a 'rich kid' school. The head of school, the teachers, staff and student body wants to be have diversity. They enrich every student. It is about giving your child a great education with amazing opportunities without being stuffy or elitist. Your insecure and it is your issue if you think otherwise. In these economic times the school has the highest enrollment in the history of the school! No teachers have been let go!! Waterford and other schools are struggling to keep teachers and pay them what they are worth. Thank you for the respect Rowland Hall!

Posted May 14, 2009

I attended Rowland Hall for high school and enjoyed the experience immensely. I learned two life lessons there that I only truly realized once leaving school. The first is, academically, I was more prepared for college than almost all other friends I'd made while attending my first year. I was prepared not only for the way college is structured, and for the complexity of the materials covered. I actually felt that I wasted time almost, as the first year was basically a long review of what I'd studied all the way back to sophomore, even freshman year. The second lesson I learned, was about myself. Rowland Hall was an enriching experience from the friends I made and teachers I had, to what I learned about myself as a person and with regard to my interests. It was an amazing experience.

Posted January 13, 2009

I have attended Rowland Hall since freshman year and have enjoyed every bit of it. For skeptical parents, Rowland Hall is as hard and challenging as your child makes it. I'm a senior right now and will graduate with 6 AP credits. The work load steadily increases from freshman to senior year and I can attest to spending many late nights working on projects and doing homework. The whole system is meant to prepare your child for college and from what I cant tell, after talking to friends returning from college, it works. The college councilors are some of the best in the country and each year, many of the students get accepted to IV League's and other elite schools, myself included. The sports are very competitive for a small school and hard to match in 2A. The teachers are dedicated and enthusiastic, and always there to help.

Posted December 4, 2008

I have now been at Rowland Hall-St. Mark's school for one year and I could not be more satisfied. I realize what a privilege it is to be going to a school where everyone truly cares about you. The headmaster holds breakfasts and lunches to help incorporate new students, and to understand how they feel and what their opinions are. The teachers truly care about our progress as students, and they couldn't be more understanding! Although the school can be challenging, I realize that it is preparing us for a great future and we are so fortunate to go this school. I would highly recommend this school to anyone that is aspires to achieve a tremendous education and work hard.

Posted December 13, 2007

The teachers are fantastic, and the class sizes are small. Everyone is very nice and polite, it is the best school I have ever been to.

Posted October 6, 2007

The buildings and layout are very nice. My children have been to both public and private schools (my children have attended RHSM for three years). Public schools are much better for social skills and we're disappointed in the academics at RHSM, perhaps our expectations were too high. But the prices they charge are so high that you think you will get the best - not so. RHSM needs to focus on social skills with children as well as faculty. In our experience, RHSM School needs more consistent discipline.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 11% 2%
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Two or more races N/A 1%

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• NAIS
  • PNAIS
Fax number
  • (801) 363-5521

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious