Salt Lake City, UT

Posted December 04, 2014
My oldest son graduated last year after being a "lifer" at the school and my youngest son is now in 9th grade after beginning in 2 Pre-K. It is a serious investment on the part of any family to commit to a private school education. In the opinion of my family, the investment our family has made with Rowland Hall has been worth every penny. While we could talk about many strengths the school has, the most important for us has been the outstanding faculty. Every year after Back to School Night I hear parent after parent standing in the halls and saying how they wish they had been able to have such intelligent, committed, and interesting teachers. Yes, the classes are difficult. Yes, the teachers can be demanding, but I can tell you that my son has gone off to an excellent university and is completely prepared because of the education that he received at Rowland Hall. Rowland Hall might not be the match for every student or family, but for families who prioritize an excellent education and for students who are willing to work hard and who are determined to make the very most of their opportunities, I cannot recommend Rowland Hall highly enough.

Posted November 24, 2014
We have been part of the Rowland Hall community for 6 years. I am confident our children are receiving the best possible education available. Rowland Hall's faculty and staff are phenomenal. The teachers take a personal interest in our children and are engaged in their personal and intellectual development. The school offers an excellent and challenging academic program with enrichment programs and activities that students need to be successful in life. The school cares about the success of every student. The Rowland Hall community is warm and welcoming, it truly is our extended family. We couldn't be happier with the education our children are receiving. I highly recommend Rowland Hall for a quality education.

Posted December 06, 2013
our children were not challenged academically. i agree this school attracts kids kicked out of other private schools for either intellectual or emotional delays. we found the mothers very gossipy. at our new school we feel right at home and our children are finally operating at their fullest intellectual capacities.

Posted October 10, 2013
My son is in his second year in the Beginning School, and his experience has been magical... I am astounded every day at how much he learns. What I love is that it's not just language development, literacy skills, and comfort with numbers (which are a part of the everyday curriculum), but also scientific curiosity, artistic exploration and development, and passion for discovery... I also greatly appreciate the love and care that the teachers have for their students. They talk about the students' paintings, stories, and activities with pride and love, as if they are talking about their own children. I have no doubt that this experience is setting my son up with a strong foundation, not just for school but for life.

Posted May 07, 2013
Very disappointed. Have had two children attend this school. One is a "lifer." The LACK if community is what is most appalling. If you fit their mold, they are happy to accommodate you; but, step out of their box and you won't make it far. You will be ostracized and ignored. Discipline of students is random and arbitrary. Money speaks louder than character, integrity, commitment, and family. The upper levels of administration are deeply out of touch. Glad to be gone!

Posted April 30, 2013
My child's learning experience at Rowland Hall has been worth every penny. My husband and I were educated in excellent public schools, including college, and were seeking a challenging, private, academic environment here in Utah. Rowland Hall's roots were founded in 1867 and the school boasts history, curriculum, core academics, and specialty classes that instill a passion for learning in its students. School staff and administrators delicately weave an artistic balance between social development, rigorous academics, specialty classes, and tradition that allows students to thrive. My son is a second grader and he will often "play at home" the subject at school that impressed him that day. Examples of recent play include: author and writer of his own book, artist, math games, and floor hockey. He is constantly challenged, however, he still has the energy to explore further. I invite you to experience an open house, or classroom tour. I was able to specifically draw my own conclusions once I was able to meet the staff, and develop my own impressions of the school first hand.

Posted April 29, 2013
Our children have been at Rowland Hall from K through 12th grade, and each age range has been excellent. The teachers have been caring and outstanding in each division, and we are happy with the overall results. Rowland Hall education takes advantage of the outdoor nature of Utah, as well as following and academically rigorous curriculum.

Posted April 23, 2013
Our daughter is thriving at Rowland Hall. Several factors contribute to her success and happiness: small class size; individual attention from caring, capable teachers; stimulating curriculum; excellent physical facilities; a great group of eclectic, diverse peers; a welcoming and warm school community. We are delighted with her development and could not be more pleased with her overall school experience and environment. "It takes a village to raise a chlld"....and Rowland Hall is our village. We highly recommend the school and can attest to its excellence.

Posted April 21, 2013
Motivated students can do well anywhere, including Rowland Hall. My kids did well there, and went on to good colleges (where they were pleased and challenged to encounter academic rigor). RHSM has some good teachers. But unfortunately the school is not academically what you expect from a college prep school. The poor science curriculum is an especially big deficit in preparing kids for today's world. I agree with the previous reviewer, that you are better off in an honors program in one of SLC's public schools.

Rowland Hall 4

Posted April 19, 2013
The English curriculum was as engaging, subversive, and rigorous as that most students experience in college (I remember grappling with authors as diverse as S.Plath, T.Morison, W.Faulkner, T.T.Williams, and S.Rushdie). I'm struck by the quantity of hyperbolic 1-star reviews. In 2013, how many parents think it possible to purchase their child's place at one of the world's most prestigious universities? You can't buy motivation, but motivated students find myriad ways to grow academically and personally at Rowland Hall. Many resources are there and the school's size means most students play simultaneous staring roles in sports and extra-curricular activities. Remember the sky is the limit -- not Harvard. Even without a perfect science program (and, for the record, 9th Grade Biology was spectacular!), the curiosity and confidence I developed at RH enabled me to take academic risks, ask ethical questions, unplug the TV, explore distant corners of the earth, and eventually pursue and an advanced degree in engineering. Looking back, was Rowland Hall magic? Will it turn every Beavis into the next da Vinci? Probably Not. But it was an excellent school for me and many of peers.

Rowland Hall