Salt Lake City, UT

Posted April 27, 2015
Having come from an independent school not in UT, by comparison, RH has fallen far short of our expectations. It's sub-par, over-rated and stands out as more of a club than high school. The administration does little to get to know families and students and are "holed up in their offices". There's a pervasive hearsay culture and lack of community feel. We found RH cold and stale and unfriendly. Count on hiring a tutor, especially in chem. Science is poor. English is amazing. There is more gossip by administrators than there is caring for students. Some teachers are all about "catching them with detentions" and they hire Prefects to spy and help slap down detentions. They talk about working with a student, developing a personal plan when a student needs help, and there is no process in place to help a student - and certainly no one follows up. We never knew or met with the counselor because she was teaching. Had we known more about RH, we would have passed it by and sent all our kids to West from the get-go. I can't recommend RH.

Posted April 26, 2015
We have three children attending Rowland Hall (in the Lower School and Middle School). This is our ninth year at RH and we are extremely satisfied with the education our children are receiving. The academic program is excellent and continually evaluated for effectiveness and improvement. My children have had some truly exceptional, passionate and caring teachers at RH, who have inspired the best in each of them. There is also a focus beyond core academic subjects, including service learning, collaboration, emotional development, public speaking, community involvement, and personal integrity. These important areas are woven into the educational experience from an early age and help each child become a productive, caring, and responsible individual. I have had the opportunity to sit on several committees comprised of faculty, staff, parents, and administrators and can attest that decisions are made thoughtfully with the utmost care and consideration for the best interests of the children. When looking at schools, I searched for a place that would cultivate a lifelong love of learning. I am thrilled that we have found such a place at RH - my children love going to school every day!

Posted April 14, 2015
I'm a parent of 3rd and 7th graders at RHSM. My first child started there in 2-preK and we have loved every moment of our participation in the RHSM community. I cannot say enough about the school, the faculty and the administration - sincere, attentive, caring, personal, and so on. I truly feel a part of a community that cares deeply for my children, their development as human beings, and their overall welfare. RHSM talks about developing the "whole child" and I have come to believe in that mantra hook, line and sinker. My kids also benefit from participation in RHSM s Rowmark Ski Academy program. This has enabled my kids to develop as ski racers and athletes along with their school friends. As a parent, I ve witnessed the philosophic integration of our kids' school day and one of their primary sports activities. When I see, first hand, the difference in the attitude and manners of the RHSM/Rowmark kids, compared to the majority of kids I see from other ski programs, the values they are being taught at RHSM and through the Rowmark program are immediately visible. I fully expect my kids to stay at Rowland Hall through High School and I couldn't be happier!

Posted April 14, 2015
I have two children - one graduated from Rowland Hall least year and the other will graduate in 2020. I can tell you that my son's experience, he started at Rowland Hall at age 3, has been fantastic and full both academically and socially. While there are always bumps at all schools, the average size of the Rowland Hall classroom, the academic excellence pursued across all divisions, the college counseling and the caring community of families, are priceless. My son had friends who attended other private high schools and public schools and told me before he left for college that he felt he had the superior education due to the teachers. My daughter is thriving too - at times the school work can be rigorous but in the end, it pays off. While every child is different and academic environments for each student varies, I would highly recommend researching Rowland Hall before making any final decisions.

Posted February 12, 2015
I have always been impressed with the caliber and creativity of the Rowland Hall faculty, and the fact that they invest the time to develop close relationships with their students. In carrying out their academic mission, Rowland Hall teachers make every effort to appeal to the unique learning capabilities of each child. As a consequence, they get to know each child quite well and provide exceptional academic attention to each student.

Posted December 04, 2014
My oldest son graduated last year after being a "lifer" at the school and my youngest son is now in 9th grade after beginning in 2 Pre-K. It is a serious investment on the part of any family to commit to a private school education. In the opinion of my family, the investment our family has made with Rowland Hall has been worth every penny. While we could talk about many strengths the school has, the most important for us has been the outstanding faculty. Every year after Back to School Night I hear parent after parent standing in the halls and saying how they wish they had been able to have such intelligent, committed, and interesting teachers. Yes, the classes are difficult. Yes, the teachers can be demanding, but I can tell you that my son has gone off to an excellent university and is completely prepared because of the education that he received at Rowland Hall. Rowland Hall might not be the match for every student or family, but for families who prioritize an excellent education and for students who are willing to work hard and who are determined to make the very most of their opportunities, I cannot recommend Rowland Hall highly enough.
4 people found this helpful

Posted November 24, 2014
We have been part of the Rowland Hall community for 6 years. I am confident our children are receiving the best possible education available. Rowland Hall's faculty and staff are phenomenal. The teachers take a personal interest in our children and are engaged in their personal and intellectual development. The school offers an excellent and challenging academic program with enrichment programs and activities that students need to be successful in life. The school cares about the success of every student. The Rowland Hall community is warm and welcoming, it truly is our extended family. We couldn't be happier with the education our children are receiving. I highly recommend Rowland Hall for a quality education.

Posted December 06, 2013
our children were not challenged academically. i agree this school attracts kids kicked out of other private schools for either intellectual or emotional delays. we found the mothers very gossipy. at our new school we feel right at home and our children are finally operating at their fullest intellectual capacities.
4 people found this helpful

Posted October 10, 2013
My son is in his second year in the Beginning School, and his experience has been magical... I am astounded every day at how much he learns. What I love is that it's not just language development, literacy skills, and comfort with numbers (which are a part of the everyday curriculum), but also scientific curiosity, artistic exploration and development, and passion for discovery... I also greatly appreciate the love and care that the teachers have for their students. They talk about the students' paintings, stories, and activities with pride and love, as if they are talking about their own children. I have no doubt that this experience is setting my son up with a strong foundation, not just for school but for life.

Posted May 07, 2013
Very disappointed. Have had two children attend this school. One is a "lifer." The LACK if community is what is most appalling. If you fit their mold, they are happy to accommodate you; but, step out of their box and you won't make it far. You will be ostracized and ignored. Discipline of students is random and arbitrary. Money speaks louder than character, integrity, commitment, and family. The upper levels of administration are deeply out of touch. Glad to be gone!
6 people found this helpful