Salt Lake City, UT

Posted May 12, 2014
If you want to understand more about Reid School philosophy, I encourage you to read the book called The Influencer by Kerry Patterson. This school is much more than penmanship.

Posted May 04, 2014
I couldn't be more thrilled to have had the opportunity to have my 2 daughters attend Reid School for the past 5 years. They have excelled academically and have received a well-rounded education. Reid School has given them the perfect base to build a life-long love of learning, and for that, I will be forever grateful.

Posted May 03, 2014
We have been at this school for three years. All 4 of our children attend so we know it from all levels. We have attended public and other private schools and finally found what we were looking for at Reid School. Reid creates a positive environment where the children value education and learning. Children are taught that school is a place to work hard and plan for a future. However, the students can work at their own pace so they don't feel overwhelmed. Education in the US has gotten so watered down and there is an expectation to entertain the children and make learning "fun". Reid focuses on achievement being fun. Mastering skills and concepts makes it fun for the students. There is no false puffing the children up or celebrating mediocrity. So we have chosen Reid School because we have seen tremendous growth and achievement in our four children. Their self esteem is higher because they have confidence after working hard and mastering skill sets that will serve as their foundation. There may be other schools that will cost you more, but you will not have a child prepared as well for higher education.

Posted April 27, 2012
We have been at Reid School for three years. We did try another private school for first grade, but found that we had to return to Reid because academically the other school was too far behind. Reid school places students at their level for reading and math - so you may have a first grader in the same reading group as a fourth grader and then they change to a new group for math. This has worked very well. Kids are also required to read a certain number of pages each month - as opposed to a certain amount of time. The school does teach penmanship, but it is not emphasized more than reading or math. In the lower grades it may seam that way because the kids generate more papers to bring home in penmanship - but by third grade it is not very noticeable. Nonetheless, both my kids now have better penmanship than their parents. There is are dedicated science and art teachers that only teach these subjects - even kindergarten has a separate class in science! Kids are given the option of learning guitar (one teacher), horns or strings (another teacher - who plays for the symphony), or Spanish. It is a great school, and one of the least expensive private schools in the valley.

Reid School 2

Posted January 25, 2012
There are good things about Reid School: small classes, a good faculty, and extracurricular activities. However, we are removing our student from this school for two reasons that outweigh the good aspects. First, the reading program is terrible and not what we were told it would be. The primary emphasis is on penmanship rather than critical thinking and writing skills. Second, and we have found this very disturbing, the director treats the students with contempt. We have seen her manhandle students, shaking them and shoving them. During one program, she shoved a boy in the face when he walked on stage too early.

Posted July 18, 2011
We have been at Reid School for two years and have loved it! The teachers and the curriculum are excellent. Being a teacher myself, I appreciate the rigor and relevance. I also appreciate many of the traditional approaches (memorization, recitation, handwriting) that are used. Dr. Reid knows each student very well and wants to see each one succeed. In the middle school, the Reading to Learn program was outstanding! My daughter was also in Algebra, but because of such a small class size, she was able to move at a faster pace and she was able to move on to geometry.

Posted March 16, 2011
Reid School is one remarkable school. If you need individual attention for your student Reid school will do that. Reid school teachers truly care about every student in the school. This school is different, but if you want your child to change and be pushed Reid school will help your student reach their peak. My student started and was a 5th grader reading at a 1st grade level. Now he is scoring, on SAT testing, at a 6th grade level. Reid school is an amazing school if you are willing to deal with Dr. Reid, she degrades teachers in front of students. Students are offered many classes, but more time needs to be spent in science and social studies and not in Shakespeare Practice. Students are required to read 800 pages a month, which is challenging but helped my son to love reading. This last year was tough when Dr. Reid made the decision to only allow students to read books off of a list, which made it hard because I just want to see my son read and some of the books made him not want to read. Dr. Reid created a miraculous reading and education program, and I am so thankful for that, but she is to an age where I believe she is starting to lose touch and may need to step down.

Reid School 4

Posted March 08, 2011
I have been at this school for two years. I am a student who is ready to learn about anything this provides me. I love having hours of Shakespeare practice and love the Mock Trial program. The science teacher Mrs. Coffman is one of the best science teacher I have EVER had! This school has really let me grow in reading skills, typing skills, math skills, and many more things. The homework was like a rude awakening, but I was glad because I never really had homework before I came here and I want to thank you Dr. Reid for providing a very great learning environment. The seventh, eighth, and ninth graders get to go on a fantastic trip to different countries in the world. This year those grades get to go to Spain and next year New York City!!!

Reid School 1

Posted March 08, 2011
Reid School has great teachers, but the methods used are very old fashioned and rigid. She focuses more on good penmanship than math or science. The reading period is extremely long at 2 and 1/2 hours, and math at only 45 minutes. Tuition is extremely high, and some families are obviously favored more if they have more money. The science teacher is outstanding. Judging for the Fine Arts Fair and similar events are unfair, and it is normally prizes are given to families with money. Highly unsatisfactory. I would not recommend.

Reid School 4

Posted March 08, 2011
I am a Reid School student. I have attended this school for seven years. I am currently in sixth grade. This school offers all of the core classes and more like; Chess Club, Archery, Shakespeare, Mock Trial, Guitar, Broadcast, Single Camera. This is a great school.

Reid School