No rating

Intermountain Christian School

Private | PK-12 | 280 students

Academically strong Christian education in everything we do

Living in Salt Lake City

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $231,700. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $830.

Posted Thursday, August 28, 2014

My child finished her first year at ICS in middle school last year and had an OUTSTANDING expeience. The teachers are increbibly involved with the kids and seem to take absolute joy teaching there. The academic standards seemed, to me, to be high (been at private schools since pre-k) with appropriately high expectations for academics as well as behavior. In light of high behavior standards, there were typical issues that came up through the school year (classwide as well as individual) that were handled with openness, grace and courtesy on the part of teachers as well as parents. Middle school athletics were a pleasure to be a part of. Coaches played all kids and worked with all to develop skills along with sportsmanship. We are beginning HS this year and everything continues to be meeting or exceeding expectations. As parents we are seeking a school environment that partners well with us as we seek to raise a child with a solid, personal, Christian faith. We could not be more pleased with that partnership, thus far. I have read some of the negative comments and wonder if the comments could have been about the same school.

Posted Wednesday, August 27, 2014

This school is terrible and the person below public schools do have music,band and pe. Don't talk about things you don't know lol get your facts straight don't start talking your mouth if you don't know what your taking about let people have there own opinions .!.

Posted August 27, 2013

If these parents, who wrote the negative reviews below, were brave they would actually tell the administration, face to face, about the problems of the school. Instead they hide behind the veil of a website where they slander and demean the school. Most of these negative reviews, like the one below, are probably posted by parents who think their child can do no wrong. Most likely their child's teacher disciplined them or gave them a bad grade and so the parents swooped down in their helicopters to save their child from such atrocities. Their child probably couldn't hold up to the high academic standards of ICS and so they pulled their child out. Their child is now in a public school where there is no music, band, art, or PE classes, the teacher has 30+ students, their teacher could care less about their child's upbringing, and their child is "succeeding" and getting straight A's because no one can fail in public school. Please, if you have a problem with the school don't go on this website to just slander, spread gossip, and demean. ICS is, and has always been, a great school. They are continue to keep up with state standards, yes even the veteran teachers.

Posted August 24, 2013

The elementary school is lagging behind the local public schools.. It once was ahead of the curve, but those days are gone. Not sure why this has happened, but feel that leadership is definitely lacking. A few of the teachers have been there too long and seem to just refuse to change. As for Christ centered, perhaps the teachers are this way, but my children have been exposed to things by classmates that I find totally unacceptable.

Posted May 7, 2013

I've been a parent at ICS for seven years. I've been more impressed in the school than what I expected at the start. The elementary teachers have been outstanding and care for our children in great ways. As our family is approaching Middle School we've been looking closer at Middle and High School and our confidence is growing there too. There seem to be some great things happening on that front. They have gone through some administration changes recently and seem to be heading in some great directions with exciting visions for the future. The school is academically strong, but still cares for our children deeply. The Christ-centered environment is one that I wouldn't want to sacrifice. I doubt any parent can say their school is perfect and this is no exception. But I've appreciated the care and attention the faculty and staff have had for our family and we're thriving in the environment.

Posted November 16, 2012

The high school gives 3-5 hours of homework per night. If that's what you're after, then this is the school for you. If you want time on the weekend for church or family activities, don't send your child here. It can be annoying listening to the "rich" kids talk.

Posted April 14, 2012

I have a daughter that currently attends ICS and was enrolled in Kindergarten with the current teacher. I'd like to comment in response to a recent post regarding this teacher. First of all, if you think being gentle, caring and kind with students is "baby" talk, then okay. I never heard what I consider "baby talk" ever. She loved my child and showed immense concern for her education and overall well-being. She always speaks kindly and is able to manage the classroom in a loving, godly manner. Additionally, I have seen the school's test scores and they score well above the national averages at both the upper and lower levels. One of the main things that keeps our family from moving is ICS.

Posted April 13, 2012

This is a response to an earlier post questioning the career paths or college graduation rates of former ICS students. My siblings and I (covering a 10 year span) all graduated from ICS and college and saw many, many of our high school peers do the same. Simply knowing people from that decade alone, one can see the world impacted with people in medicine, law enforcement, education, business, industry and a whole host of other careers which require a college education. The people I know from that era would willingly say they were well prepared for college and life beyond. ICS can't take credit for all of that, but it can and should take credit for preparing students for the next step in life -- whether that be college or something else.

Posted April 12, 2012

Very disappointed in the early grades. We'd heard from everyone that ICS had the best Kindergarten in town. This has not been our experience. The teacher is consistently late and "baby" talks to the children. I have been appalled at the amount of candy handed out and have told the teacher my child isn't allowed; my requested hasn't been honored. I have voiced my concerns to the principal and was told "she's always taught this way and everyone loves her".

Posted February 12, 2012

Look at ICS' test scores, and you will see that ICS is ahead academically. I say this in response to the review about ICS not being academically ahead. Test scores, college acceptances and comparisons to other schools in the area prove what ICS attests to. ICS can't compete, nor can most private schools, with public schools as far as providing everything for everybody...they simply don't have the resources. For the VERY REASONABLY priced tuition, the value you get at ICS is far and above any other private school in the Salt Lake Valley.

Posted October 16, 2011

I have two children at ICS. I have been very impressed with the heart of every teacher at the school. I have one child in middle school and one child in elementary school. The curriculum is challenging, but engaging. The children are engaged. There is the general sense that it is important to pursue excellence in everything. The teachers are responsive and care. Both my children are challenged at just the right level.

Posted October 14, 2011

Love this school. Our daughter is now in public school, due to economics.. Our daughter is well in front, of most of the kids at her highschool. She told me she missed ICS, because of the teachers, and how nice the other kids were. I do wish they had more green space outside. But, for a Christ centered, and well rounded education, this is the school.

Posted May 17, 2011

The Elementary school at ICS is first rate and a joy to be a part of. Unfortunatley the Middle School and especially the High School are simply unsatisfactory. If your student does not conform to the legalism that is rampant in those areas of the school or makes a mistake and gets in any trouble, watch out. Issues of the heart are not dealt with and no grace is extended. You can also forget about reconciliation, once your student has developed a reputation, it will follow them each year. Having read the recent reviews, I am glad others are having a better experience, but it just is not the case with my student. We have been a part of the ICS community for 14 years and it truly saddens me to be ending on this sour note. One more thing. The amount of work and homework that is piled onto these kids is too much. There is very little time for just being a kid.

Posted May 16, 2011

It's great having a place like ICS to send our kids. The teachers are outstanding and the school is academically strong, but perhaps the best things about ICS are the family-like atmosphere and the focus on Christian discipleship.

Posted May 10, 2011

We have two kids at ICS. We have been very happy with our experience. Of course the level of involvement is a family choice and we have chosen to be very involved with the school, not only with our children but with the school as a whole. We love that God is allowed to be an integral part of our children's education. We appreciate the small class sizes and the attention that our children receive from the teachers and staff. We are pleased with the curriculum that is taught. Our kids are learning, and maturing, and growing above and beyond our expectations. They are encouraged to have a personal relationship with Jesus not just at church but through all aspects of their lives. We are thankful for the time and energy that goes in to our children's education experience. We feel very blessed that we are given the opportunity to be a part of Intermountain Christian School.

Posted May 8, 2011

We've been at ICS for 4 years. We loved it in the beginning. Parental involvement has lessened over the years. Teacher moral has also declined. ICS has the potential to be great but lots of changes are necessary for that to happen.

Posted May 7, 2011

We enrolled our song in ICS for its Christ centered curriculum and rich academic environment. Our son was well prepared for college and has a deep love of the Lord which I credit ICS and God's grace for. I agree to other writers reviewing this school that if it wasn't for ICS' excellence that our family wouldn't be in Utah today.

Posted May 4, 2011

I have two children at ICS one in elementary and one in middle school. We have been very pleased. The academics have been challenging and the love and support they recieve from teachers is outstanding. I appreciate that Jesus' name is spoke daily and they are taught how to handle problems and life issues in a Christ centered way. I would highly recommend ICS. Next year we will have three childredn attending and they do offer multiple kids "discount"!!

Posted May 2, 2011

Our family has been involved with Intermountain Christian School for 16 years and although no school is perfect, our experience has been overwhelmingly positive. Our oldest son attended ICS from KG through 12th grade. The academic program prepared him well for the University of Utah where he is currently a junior in Chemical Engineering. Due to the small nature of the school, there are ample opportunities to be involved in sports,music, drama, student council and debate. Our second son, attending since preschool, has excelled in sports and had the chance to attend statewide tournaments. Most of all, ICS is God centered with teachers who love God and pray for our children. When my nephew transferred to ICS in his junior year due to death of his mother, he was met with love and compassion by staff, students and ICS families. This supportive Christian environment encouraged him in this difficult time and 2 years late, against all odds,he graduated. In summary, ICS has provided my three boys with a God centered evnironment providing excellent opportunities in academics and extra curricular activities. ICS has been a blessing to our family!

Posted May 2, 2011

No school is perfect, but ICS shines when it comes to doing its best work: caring about the students. My daughter is in Kindergarten, and absolutely loves her teacher, Mrs. Geoghan. She comes home singing songs about Jesus, and she has learned how to love others, even in the midst of a struggle. While academics are important, I'm impressed that she is already learning how to emulate a walk with Christ. Academically, she is doing great...reading, writing, learning about numbers; a variety of methods employed in the classroom helping to achieve these academic goals. She's right where she is supposed to be. Class size is small...ten students in each of the k-garten classes so it appears that next year the first grade class will be 20-25 kids. Compare that to 35-37 in public school...I know she's getting better care and more individualized instruction. Like I said, no school is perfect. There are things to improve on, but that would be true in any school. I'm inclined to be involved in my child's education, so this is a perfect opportunity to impact change for the better and to be a part of a community. If that appeals to you, come check ICS out.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 6% 2%

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
College counselor(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

Health & athletics

• PE instructor(s)
  • Gym
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges
Clubs
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:15 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 5:30 a.m.
  • Mitch Menning
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Science
  • Service learning
  • Visual arts
  • Writing
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Priest, pastor, or other religious personnel
  • Teacher aid/assistant teacher
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Drama
Media arts
  • Graphics

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Community service

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Monitor the playground
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor
  • Volunteer in the classroom
  • Volunteer time after school

This school accepts applications on a

rolling basis

Apply now

What does it cost?

Vouchers accepted
Financial aid offered
School-based aid

Planning ahead

College preparation / awareness offered
School-sponsored trips to college campuses
Visiting teachers or lecturers from colleges

6515 Lion Ln