City Academy 1

Posted November 15, 2013
I am currently a senior at City Academy, and all I can say about this school is that it is the worst. The grading system is hurting my chances at graduating, more than it is helping. If you miss a single assignment, it fails you for the whole quarter. The faculty is disorganized and not fit for teaching at all. The teaching method most teachers use is the "Here is a packet that I need you to do, but I'm not gonna explain to you how to do it". The building is too small for the amount of people they have. This school is losing money, and they know it. They've really messed up the whole "community" that this school used to have. If you really want to graduate high school or actually have a real high school experience, do not come to this school.

Posted August 25, 2013
We relocated to S.L.C. so that my son could attend City Academy and have had a very positive experience. He has excelled in so many areas and full credit is due to the teachers and staff who truly care and want your child to succeed. My son has been in a rural charter school for elementary and I was a little hesitant in placing him in an urban high school, however have had no regrets after seeing how well he has progressed in his first year. He is now happily and enthusiastically heading into his second year. City Academy has an amazing group of young students, and in my experience I have found them to be very respectful and eager to help. I would highly recommend this school to any parent who is looking for small classes, fantastic teachers and a place where your student will be academically challenged.

Posted August 23, 2013
I am so happy that we found City Academy, and now after 4 years at the school my son is about to start his Senior year and we are so impressed with the education he has received. The teachers and administration truly care about the students succeeding academically as well as personally.

Posted June 03, 2013
We are very happy to have found City Academy. Our daughter is thriving in all subjects and she is getting very good foundations in mathematics, language arts and sciences. She used to be shy and withdrawn, but she has opened up and gained lots of confidence and knowledge. We are grateful to all teachers and staff for making her feel good about herself and encouraging her to achieve the best she can. Teachers at City Academy care a lot about each student and help them overcome individual challenges.

Posted August 25, 2011
this school is "making a difference" in the lives of many students and educators. Many people ask me what this school specializes in. This school specializes in the INDIVIDUAL student. Each student is valued for who they by both the staff and the students. This is my daughters 3rd year at City and she was excited for summer to end and a chance to return to school as a senior. I anticipated the academics to be inferior to our "home" sr high school but have been pleasantly surprised. I also anticipated many "problem" students and instead found many individuals who do not want problems. Kids that want to learn and be respected for who they are and what they can become. The educators show great respect for the students and the students in turn show great respect for the educators. City believes in service learning and hands on learning. They show that we can all make a difference in our world. There is a joy in learning and being successful. I am grateful to City Academy and its founders daily for a place for my daughter to successfuly learn, grow, be challenged and valued. My only regret is not being brave enough to move to City Academy earlier.

Posted February 15, 2011
We have been very impressed with City Academy. The acedemic climate is challenging, far beyond what I have seen at other schools. Our daughter is in her second year there and we will absolutely not consider changing schools before graduation. Her learning is deep and her freinds are wonderful. I could not ask for a better place to prepare her for college and her life beyond!

Posted February 15, 2011
Learning for each and every student is the highest priority, What my sons have learned academically, socially, and personally is truly wonderful. They are quite engaged and really enjoy being there. My happiness grows as many beautiful changes continue to unfold in my sons. In a nutshell, the precious balance of funding is optimized toward smaller class sizes, and more importantly to maintain a great faculty and staff that is dedicated to engaging each and every student in learning. The internationally recognized Cambridge Curriculum & Testing provides an excellent platform for content and critical thinking. Sometimes I wish that CA had more resources for physical infrastructure and school programs, but only if it would not compromise the deep levels of learning that are happening there for the students. In my mind, CA is using our tax dollars magnificently. After all the schools we looked at over the years, each of us in the family is very thankful to have City Academy shining in our lives.

Posted February 14, 2011
I have worked for City Academy in a non-teaching, support capacity for 6 full years and now over half of the 10/11 School Year. I am consistently impressed with the quality of the teaching, the genuine concern that the teachers and staff have for every student's success, and the culture of community and civic responsibility that this school has. I would recommend that people visit City Academy and find out for themselves how great an opportunity this school offers for their children's education.

City Academy 1

Posted January 05, 2011
I am a student and soon to be former. I have been at this school for not even a whole year given it tons of chances and simply can't stand it. The kids here are so scared from their past they can't except new people. There is a HUGE drug use problem. Some of the classes are ahead, but others well.. they are overly behind. I would NEVER recommend this school to anyone because of it's lack of respect for others, drug use, gang problem, and grading system. This school flat out lied on what it was said to be.

City Academy 0

Posted May 11, 2010
Amazing academic program! My daughter is doing more critical thinking this year than ever before. She is also FINALLY interested in the world around her and is more conscious about how she impacts it. Supprttive does not even begin to describe the teachers there. Never in her school career have I seen such dedication and committment.

City Academy
555 East 200 South, Salt Lake City, UT  84102
Last modified City Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 7-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
City Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top