Challenger School-Salt Lake

Private | PK-8 | 594 students

Living in Salt Lake City

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $142,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $650.

Sweep tile

Posted December 30, 2013

All of my kids attended from 3 year old Preschool through Kindergarten. This school is excellent and I highly recommend it. They sing and learn phonics all day. My kids LOVE this place.

Posted August 15, 2013

This school is the best school I know. The teachers are enthusiastic and are very willing to try and help the kids learn. Mrs.Winter the principal makes learning fun. We do lots of fun activities that help us learn. Challenger has a great way teaching the kids they also have the awesome after school programs. They have chess, dance, drama, and choral. If don't go to those programs, but stay after school you can learn life skills too. It might seem expensive to some parents but it is worth it. The kids learn advance stuff that some parents might not understand. In eighth grade you do a store and earn real money from 3-8 you do science fair. From 1-2 you do Pioneer Day. You dress like a pioneer and make scones and play games from the 1800s. 1-2 graders also do state reports which are really fun so Challenger is a great school.

Posted May 29, 2013

Challenger is a great school that develops critical skills such as math, grammar, science, and composition. Thanks to it, I won the school spelling bee at my new school, maintain a 4.0 GPA with nothing under a 98, and have been praised on being very articulate. I type at an average word speed at over 80, and this school deserves nothing less than a 5- star rating! Anyone giving it average or under just doesn't like to learn! This is coming from a former student with actual experience!

Posted May 9, 2013

I have been reading the reviews on this website, and I am shocked to see that Challenger has only received a 3-star rating. I attended this school from third to eighth grade, and I don't know where I would be if I hadn't. Challenger's preparation has allowed me to do so many things. After graduating, I spent a year at a private high school, taking all honors and AP courses. In almost every class, teachers commented on how powerful my writing was, and I was also commended for my ability to speak confidently and clearly to teachers and students. I was published twice in the Salt Lake Tribune. This year, I am studying in Australia. I spend twenty hours a week training for a sport, and I am still able to acheive straight-As in challenging courses. Many of my friends who graduated from Challenger and do not do sports have chosen to spend their free time preparing for national science, math, and debate competitions. We all agree that our school has taught us to work hard and attack the world's problems with open minds. In the years to come, Challenger alumni will be the life-changing leaders, inventors, researchers, and writers of the world.

Posted March 13, 2013

Watch out for the Pre-K! Ms Aubrey is horrible and the Directors at the Sandy campus are useless. Ms Aubrey, in particular, specializes in preaching instead of teaching and has absolutely no patience. She ll go over the concept one time and if the kids don t understand (which is every time) she will write a note on their paper saying the child wasn t listening. So the parent ends up teaching the kids at home. Now, I can understand every now and then, but this was happening every day! What was I paying $1,000.00 a month for? Ms Aubrey made my daughter so miserable that she was single-handedly turning her first learning experiences into a nightmare. I had to wait a full year to write this review, because the Teachers and Directors retaliate against the kids if you bring up any problems. I don t understand how anyone could treat these cute little kids the way Ms Aubrey does and the Directors are so defensive they can't see what is, so clearly, a big problem. Definitely a boot camp. :(

Posted January 24, 2013

I graduated from this program last year. I went all the way from the preschool program to the graduation in the 8th grade. Now enrolled in public school, I am very grateful for the excellent foundation that the school gave me. Public school is relativly easy now, and I am getting straight A's with not much effort, however, to me maybe not much effort is normal as I'm used to doing much more. They challenge you early so that the harder things later on in high school and college really aren't as hard because you are used to it. The classes are all fantastic. The teachers, especially those who have been there for many years are fantastic. They are skilled, and since they have known the students longer and have fewer students than teachers in public schools, they really get to know the kids. The teachers actually care. I can write a long, well worded essay in almost no time at all. Challenger is fantastic at building skills that allow kids to be better students late on. Even those who don't finish the program have these skills. I'm glad I took advantage of their middle school program. They really put me ahead, and I am grateful for that. Send your kids here. It's worth it. I miss it.

Posted February 5, 2011

Everyday I am more impressed by this wonderful institution. I have three children who are currently attending. The teaching methods at Challenger are thorough, the ethics and manners are refreshing, the teachers are well trained and competent and the administration is sound. I have yet to find a complaint.

Posted April 29, 2010

When you walk into a Challenger class room, you see kids quite, focused and participating. This is the environment children can learn in. Not 30 kids goofing off while the teacher tries to gain control.

Posted April 23, 2010

I have two children currently attending Challenger School and there is no question they are attending the very best school available to them for academic advancement and personal integrity. The teachers and especially the director are outstanding. The values Challenger teaches, (which are rationality, honesty, productivity, self reliance, justice, integrity and self worth) are incorporated in the schools daily academic curriculum. The teachers are kind, concerned and very well qualified. Challenger s outstanding test scores undeniably support this claim. My biggest problem now is figuring out where they will go to school after completing Challenger.

Posted April 23, 2010

In regards to liberal arts, my middle school daughter has one of the finest art teachers in the Salt Lake Valley. The school is safe, clean and well organized, but what I appreciate most about this location is the diversity of the students attending school there. My children (both girls) are Caucasian, born and raised in Utah. By attending the Salt Lake Campus Challenger they have made friends with children from many racial and ethnic groups and they are prepared to function well in a pluralistic society. They study alongside children whose parents place a high value on education. Current research suggests that a more diverse classroom increases all students level of critical thinking. Education is one of only a few gifts I can give my children that cannot be taken away from them.

Posted September 24, 2009

My child has been in elemetary school for a year. Challenger has a good focus on reading/writing/math compared to local public schools. but it is more of a rote learning instead of creativity building. They claim they are teaching critical thinking skills but i don't think their teaching style stimulates criticak thinking skills. They don't have enough art, music, sports or foreigh language courses. Low parent involvement

Posted September 1, 2009

A a former employee of Challenger school, I have mixed feelings. The school is good on academics, discipline and safety. The test scores are good. Most of the teachers are not certified and this is not required. Despite this, the teachers are good for the most part, but this still is an issue for me as certification shows that the teacher as had training in teaching and child development. I am also concerned that foreign language isn't offered. I have also had some negative experiences with the director as have other emplyees. She does not seem interested in feedback from employees and pretty much brushes off suggestions and input.As a result, she is often unaware of minor problems. Challenger is not a bad school and is a vast improvement over many public schools, but I have had enough negative experiences that I would be hesitant to send my child here.

Posted August 29, 2009

Challenger is an excellent school for those who want an outstanding education for their kids. I have been going to this school since 4th grade, and am now in 7th grade. Last year, I won the Uintah Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution Contest. I give Challenger credit to this accomplishment because they taught me how to research, organize an essay, and, most importantly, think critically about the subject. Another great thing about this school is that they teach the art of public speaking! Each and every student in my class (which, by the way, has only eleven students in it) is perfectly capable of presenting a speach in front of a large audience.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 28, 2009

My son has gone to Challenger for the last 2 years for preschool. We couldn't be happier. The teachers are so sweet and caring. He has learned so much this year and I accredit it to Challenger. Their phonics program is mind blowing. This is a wonderful program and I would recommend it to anyone who values their childs education.

Posted November 24, 2008

I have mixed feelings about Challenger. We had our son there for preschool and we liked it he seemed to be happy while learning a lot. Now he is in the Kindergarten class and I am quite disappointed. The emphasis is on academics writing, reading and counting. The program is lacking creativity, social skills and self-confidence building. The program is very strict. It almost seems their motto is 'learning should not be fun'.

Posted April 20, 2008

My daughter attended 1/2 day Kindergarten and we were hooked. 1st, 2nd, & 3rd grade were great. She absolutely loved school and so did we. This year, not so great. The homework load is unbelievable. I can't believe how much is expected from 10 year olds. There is no time for anything else for either of us. Too much of my time is spent teaching the subject matter instead of reviewing. The level at which these 4th graders are studying is more suited to Jr. or High School. Most nights it takes 3 hours just to stay caught up. This includes reading 30 mins. each night. Special projects (speeches, book reports, science projects, etc.) are on top of that. Granted many are gifted students and thrive in this environment. Future scientists and medical geniuses to be sure. Challenger is the Harvard of elementary schools but far too challenging for this parent.

Posted August 23, 2007

The school does little to involve parents, which is hard when you want to be involved in your childs education. They also tend to look the other way for some children allowing them to do as they plesae without really teaching them the right way to do things.

Posted January 30, 2007

This is a wonderful school and I would recommend it to anyone interested in giving their child an exceptional education. The Director at Salt Lake knows what she is doing and is a true credit to this school. I'll sell everything I own to continue my daughters education at this school. Thank you Salt Lake Challenger, my daughter is doing so well and is so happy there.

Posted April 3, 2006

We currently have our 2 girls at downtown Challenger (one in all day K and one in all day preschool). We were previously at the Sandy campus and we are so pleased with the diversity of the students downtown. The school doesn't do much to involve parents but we have managed to connect with some families. Kids tend to come from all over the valley which makes play dates a little hard. It is definately an academic school, but so far, both they also make it great fun and my girls have loved it. We also have our girls in extended care (which is cheap) and they have a ton of after school activities available which is nice.

Asian 3% N/A
Two or more races 3% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab