Public charter
Salt Lake City, UT

Salt Lake Arts Academy 1

Posted May 06, 2015
I am an alumni from the Salt Lake Arts Academy, I went there for all four years and loved every bit of it until my final year. It was during my final year that I learned, that yes the school is fantastic if you fit into some people's social norms, but can be awful for someone who doesn't. The Arts Academy likes to act like it is a family like community, and fails to recognize that there IS a bullying problem among the teachers and students. I have personally seen teachers question whether or not a student does have a disability, when the student informs them that they require extra help- and have the documents in the school stating so. That is illegal, and embarrassing for any one to witness or experience. In my experience, I have noted that Arts Academy also does not follow through with reported bullying, the victim gets blamed and the issue is disregarded. My brother now goes to the Arts Academy and has experienced bullying himself. We have even gone as far as going into the office and meeting with the principal to be told "it'll be taken care of" or "Are you sure that you aren't over exaggerating?". It is ridiculous. The Arts Academy is not a safe nor friendly school.

Posted March 27, 2014
I am currently in my fourth and final year at the Salt Lake Arts Academy and have had an amazing experience. I do get a large amount of homework, but then again I am such an overkill on work and I think that if students don't fall behind it is easily doable. Class sizes are small, teachers are totally AWESOME, and the arts and core classes are well taught. Despite what some other reviews have said I have quite a lot of trouble finding bullying in our school and the thievery problem ended two years ago. In one instance of bullying that I witnessed, it was the only one I have ever seen, the bullying was minor and as it turned out the kid getting bullied had done something first. I love this school and am super sad to leave it. SLARTS IS SO AMAZING!!

Posted November 12, 2013
I have two children Salt Lake Arts Academy. The teachers are caring and kind. The curriculum is engaging. The arts are fantastic.

Posted September 11, 2013
My daughter just started at Salt Lake Arts Academy this school year. We have been overwhelmed with the creative and academic energy of this school. I love that they understand that kids can get lost in a middle school environment. They have created groups made up of a teacher advisor and students. They've eaten lunch together for the first few weeks. They talk about social issues and watch out for each other. The school is academically challenging as well as focusing on the arts and social issues. I appreciate that she can also take a foreign language after school while she is still young and excited. We are very happy with our decision to have our daughter enter as a 5th grader.

Posted April 01, 2013
We have thoroughly loved having our kids at this school. Our kids have progressed so much in their education. My daughter went to West High School and was so far ahead of the other kids. We had to put her in Honors classes just so she would keep busy. I wish all schools were this good. Parents and facility have been awesome. Before our kids started at SLARTS they were in another title one school and the parents didn't care didn't come to parent teacher meetings. The only time the parents came was when an activity fed them or gave away something for free. At SLARTS, almost every parent comes to the meetings with teachers. Parents want to be involved and helpful in their kids education. Again the Teachers and the Principle have been very supportive and helpful. They want to see your kid succeed as much as you do. I love this school.

Salt Lake Arts Academy 1

Posted January 28, 2013
Unfortunately my child received relentless bullying at this school. We have taken my child out of the school. The administration and faculty have blinders on and dont want to see the reality of what was happening. There is a very much " not at this school" attitude. The Arts Academy is not as progressive and culture tolerant as they would like you to believe.

Posted January 14, 2013
Salt Lake Arts Academy is the school for us. My son never complains about going to school instead he"s always looking forward to a new day regardless on the amount of homework he has, which is saying a lot. He continues to love music and is trying new types of art. I love that my child is apart of this great school.

Posted December 28, 2012
I love how much attention my daughter is able to receive--she's not falling through the cracks like she was in our neighborhood school, and the teachers and principal are more than willing to work with her, and her emotional and metal developmental levels, to ensure her success. My right-brained, creative daughter is thriving.

Posted December 19, 2012
The Salt Lake Arts Academy is a wonderfully vibrant and diverse community with teachers, staff, and leadership, and therefore students, who consistently embrace individuality and the human quest to learn. The school is the best I have seen with respect to embracing and implementing progressive thoughts and applications of learning and teaching style. Combined with a philosophy that embraces the community in which we live as an integral part of education, this school is second to none.

Salt Lake Arts Academy 4

Posted December 16, 2012
Our son started at SLARTS in the fall. He chose to leave his great elementary school because he was so enthused about what SLARTS had to offer and was ready for a middle school experience. He is absolutely thrilled. He loves his teachers and is doing well academically. We are excited for him and from most of what we've seen so far, the school has a wonderful mix of strong academics, many creative outlets and a wonderful community.

Salt Lake Arts Academy
844 South 200 East, Salt Lake City, UT  84111
Last modified Salt Lake Arts Academy is a Charter school that serves grades 5-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Salt Lake Arts Academy Rating: 5 out of 5 based on 45 reviews. Top