Sandy School 3

Posted July 30, 2011
I went to sandy elementary from k-6. My mom sent all 11 of her children there. She works there. out of the 11 of us, all have attended at least some college and 5 have graduated from college. Two of my siblings have attended graduate school, and one is a lawyer. Parents make the difference. At any school. If you want your children to succeed, you need to be involved. This school could use some good, supportive parents like mine, and my friends' parents were.

Posted December 23, 2010
Do not send your child to this school if you want your child to be challenged. Teachers do not have high expectations for students and most students live up to those expectations. Expect resistance from teachers when you go to them for help because you want your child to learn at their level and be challenged. After a couple months of trying to get my daughter's teacher to teach her on her level she now challenges her in one assignment one time per week :( When the teachers left my Kindergartner outside alone after school at the beginning of the year, the teacher took no responsibility. She started talking to my daughter and blamed her. I found out from another parent that the same thing happened to her daughter this year (same class). This school may be able to accomodate children who are below grade level. It should also be a fine school if safety is not a concern.

Posted August 26, 2009
We send two of our kids there for a few years until the principal changed. What used to be a good school got really bad very fast. The schools over all test scores droped really fast, safty seemed not to exist there anymore and teachers were unwilling to accommodate kids even if they had an IEP. We had to take our kids out of that school during the school year, nothing was done to stop bullying. Even differen teachers hated the new work invironment!

Posted June 18, 2007
My son went to Sandy for fourth and fifth grade. His fifth grade teacher was outstanding. She was a student teacher from BYU. She always went above and beyond what was required. The math program, developed by the fifth grade team really helped change his attitude about math. Although all his peers were not on grade level the teacher was able to level the classroom so his needs were met.

Posted October 02, 2006
Sandy Elementary School [is] one of the best public school and we are not disappointed at all, at first I was really worried but I was wrong cause she progressed and totally came out of her shell,learned and grew, most of all, had fun. she came home everyday and couldn't wait to tell and share to her other younger siblings about her day in her new school and what fun she had.

Sandy School 4

Posted February 24, 2005
I have been very impressed by Sandy Elementary. Although it is a low income area there is a lot of pride amoung students and teachers. Because of the wide range of nationalities I feel my child has benefited by interacting with so many different cultures. The staff has always been positive. I believe kids can be anything they want if they have someone to help support and believe in them. Being in a low income area does not condemn them from achieving their dreams. Parents and neighbors need to support the students and teachers of Sandy Elementary. Teachers throughout Utah are completetly underappreciated and under paid. The staff at Sandy really does care about their students. They have a tough job and they do it well!

Posted February 10, 2005
Located in a low income-poverty demographic, this school has a high principal turnover due to extensive disciplinary issues. Lack of adequate heating and Air Conditioning is also an issue. Curriculum is based around outdated concepts. Current technology and skills are not addressed. This school is okay for parents who dont want their children to achieve more than they have as there is no pressure to exceed expectations and no support for children in the 'gifted' catagory. -Parent of a Sandy Elementary 3rd Grade student.

Posted April 28, 2004
Sandy Elementary has been a wonderful school for my 2nd grader. She has had wonderful teachers since K. Principal Gomez is very involved and supportive to both students and parents. I highly recommend this school!

Sandy School