No rating

Alta High School

Public | 10-12

Posted February 25, 2014

I taught at this school for 30 years and enjoyed it and feel it was a good school. Most of the teachers are dedicated, most of the students are committed to learning and I enjoyed my interaction with the parents and community and my only complaint would be some of the administration. They lacked the drive and vision to move it from a 4 star school to a 5 star school. I would also have enjoyed more diversity as I think it would have been good for the student body. .
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 18, 2011

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. The quality of education at this school for my kids is below the standard of schools years ago where I obtained my public education. In my observation, the left hand rarely knows what the right hand is doing.

Posted March 1, 2011

We moved here from a wealthy out-of state district in a large city, so I was relieved to find that the students are not fashion conscious at all by comparison. You can be poor and be popular here--I can name a dozen kids whose fathers are not employed or who make next to nothing who are popular. Kids at Alta dress down compared to wealthy communities in large cities back east. It's very laid back...no changing your wardrobe every season as soon as the models hit the runway...thank heavens. The kids are happy, not too competitive, and yet they try to get good grades so they can have a future. There isn't much of a push to help the kids get into top schools, but then I think most people here just plan to send their kids to the state schools or religious schools in state. Kids are mostly middle to upper middle class and their parents are professionals and small business owners...nothing spectacular, but still respectable people. They have good music, dance, and sports programs.

Posted February 2, 2011

for a high school in this state to even be competing on a sunday is usually not done in most areas, but to have a manditory event on that day is unconcunable your community ratings and the pay for the people who make these kinds of decisions should both be reduced

Posted August 9, 2010

I've had 1 son that hated Alta and quit to attend an alternative high school. I've had another son that liked Alta, but graduated as an average student and complained of boredom. Now I have a daughter attending there and she loves it and excells. I think the academic choices and the teachers are very good - although I think there's too much homework assigned. The struggles I've heard about are largely due to social issues. It's a very large school and there can be alot of peer pressure to be popular and fashion forward. Just help your child to be self-confident and ignore the crowds.

Posted May 3, 2010

Alta isn't terrible; but it is far from being a good school. The academics are poor. Most of my classmates can't spell words my 8 year old brother can. The overwhelming amount of LDS can feel suffocating to those outside of the church. They are not extremely exclusive, but the LDS do have a tendency to stay within themselves. Additionally, the school has the feel of a trap. There are few windows, and the upstairs classrooms are unbearably hot. If I could choose, I would elect to go back to my previous school in a heartbeat.

Posted March 7, 2010

I have a child attending this school. A warning for anyone planning to attend Alta, you will feel worthless unless you are 'popular'. My daughter is miserable here and I have noticed she has become much more self-consious. She is constantly growing more high maintenence as she tries to keep up with the trends just so she can keep her friends. On the plus side, there are many different classes available at Alta and most of the teachers are very encouraging.

Posted March 7, 2010

This school has really great teachers who try to encourage students to succeed. The only problem I have had with sending my daughter here is that she has grown more high-maintenence, She has to keep up with the trends to keep her friends, and she feels miserable because she complains she is not 'popular' enough. The teachers are great but the vibes that come from the fellow students are often discouraging. I sometimes feel that every day my daugter prepares for school as if she were in a competition for the 'best looking'.

Posted July 18, 2009

I'm not a parent, but I am attending Alta right now, and I think its a wonderful school. The teachers are amazing, and they have so many options, whether your just trying to get through highschool, or trying to graduate with an associates, you can do it at alta. There is alot of students at alta but personally I think that just allows you to make more friends and be with different people. There are loads of extracurricular activites from football, to mathletes, to anime clubs, alta has it all. I would highly suggest it to anyone.

Posted September 2, 2008

I graduated from Alta in 2006 and it is a great school. Many people complain that snobby people go here, but not everyone is snobby or rich for that matter (you could say the same thing for most high school in Utah). I never felt the need to be popular to fit in. The teachers were great, though the classrooms were a little crowded. I loved it here.

Posted April 14, 2008

Beware students, this is a very trendy, snobby high school. Classes are overcrowded, teachers are subpar. Avoid this highschool at all costs, unless you want your kid to have a miserable experience if they are not 'popular'

Posted September 17, 2004

I graduated from Alta High School in 1986 and now my daughter is attending Alta. I had a very enjoyable experience and my daughter is now doing the same. The thing I have been most impressed with is that my daughter attends some special education classes and the Alta High Counselors have been top notch in making sure she receives all of the credits she needs to excel. Additionally, they recognize when she needs a change and they assist her in her studies so that she is learning and acquiring wonderful grades with the skills she is learning. I would not hesitate to send another child to this school. On the down side, the only thing I mention is there is an extraordinary amount of students that come from very well to do families. The peer pressure for material goods can be somewhat overwhelming at times.

Posted June 21, 2004

I am not a parent but I did attend Alta high from 1996-2000. I loved it. I was part of the band and chior. I loved it. The teachers where wonderful.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 4, 2004

This school is the best in Utah. It is amazing! The extracurricular activites are top notch! The teachers are great, and the tests scores are some of the best in the nation!

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 87% in 2013.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 86% in 2013.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 40% in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 40% in 2010.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 58% in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 68% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 42% in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 75% in 2013.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 73% in 2013.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
Librarian/media specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Performing arts
  • Dance
  • Drama
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

11055 South 1000 East