Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

Posted July 06, 2015
Academic program is sub-par. The only reason I stay at this school is for the music program. Acts of discrimination are not taken seriously as I was told that I was "overreacting" when making a complaint. Student body is very "clique-ish", which was never a problem for me, but is a problem for new students coming into the school. If you're not in some sort of club or sport you will have a hard time here. There is little diversity among students as more than half of them tend to be white and LDS. The term "separation of church and state" seems to draw a blank. Micro racism and homophobia manifest as a result of this.

Develops grit: Disagree

Posted July 06, 2015
Students are not motivated to do well at this school. Many of my friends are satisfied with their D's and C's because they are "passing grades". Coming from the PNW where grades like that are very heavily frowned upon and considered a disgrace, I was surprised at how grades like these are considered acceptable! When scheduling, my peers did not pick classes that would challenge them, but instead picked classes that were an "easy A". Teachers don't help either. Though they monitor grades closely, the offer little to no help when students come to them.

Posted February 25, 2014
I taught at this school for 30 years and enjoyed it and feel it was a good school. Most of the teachers are dedicated, most of the students are committed to learning and I enjoyed my interaction with the parents and community and my only complaint would be some of the administration. They lacked the drive and vision to move it from a 4 star school to a 5 star school. I would also have enjoyed more diversity as I think it would have been good for the student body. .

Posted August 18, 2011
I grew up in the Pacific Northwest. The quality of education at this school for my kids is below the standard of schools years ago where I obtained my public education. In my observation, the left hand rarely knows what the right hand is doing.

Posted March 01, 2011
We moved here from a wealthy out-of state district in a large city, so I was relieved to find that the students are not fashion conscious at all by comparison. You can be poor and be popular here--I can name a dozen kids whose fathers are not employed or who make next to nothing who are popular. Kids at Alta dress down compared to wealthy communities in large cities back east. It's very laid back...no changing your wardrobe every season as soon as the models hit the runway...thank heavens. The kids are happy, not too competitive, and yet they try to get good grades so they can have a future. There isn't much of a push to help the kids get into top schools, but then I think most people here just plan to send their kids to the state schools or religious schools in state. Kids are mostly middle to upper middle class and their parents are professionals and small business owners...nothing spectacular, but still respectable people. They have good music, dance, and sports programs.

Posted February 02, 2011
for a high school in this state to even be competing on a sunday is usually not done in most areas, but to have a manditory event on that day is unconcunable your community ratings and the pay for the people who make these kinds of decisions should both be reduced

Posted August 09, 2010
I've had 1 son that hated Alta and quit to attend an alternative high school. I've had another son that liked Alta, but graduated as an average student and complained of boredom. Now I have a daughter attending there and she loves it and excells. I think the academic choices and the teachers are very good - although I think there's too much homework assigned. The struggles I've heard about are largely due to social issues. It's a very large school and there can be alot of peer pressure to be popular and fashion forward. Just help your child to be self-confident and ignore the crowds.

Alta High School 3

Posted May 03, 2010
Alta isn't terrible; but it is far from being a good school. The academics are poor. Most of my classmates can't spell words my 8 year old brother can. The overwhelming amount of LDS can feel suffocating to those outside of the church. They are not extremely exclusive, but the LDS do have a tendency to stay within themselves. Additionally, the school has the feel of a trap. There are few windows, and the upstairs classrooms are unbearably hot. If I could choose, I would elect to go back to my previous school in a heartbeat.

Posted March 07, 2010
I have a child attending this school. A warning for anyone planning to attend Alta, you will feel worthless unless you are 'popular'. My daughter is miserable here and I have noticed she has become much more self-consious. She is constantly growing more high maintenence as she tries to keep up with the trends just so she can keep her friends. On the plus side, there are many different classes available at Alta and most of the teachers are very encouraging.

Posted March 07, 2010
This school has really great teachers who try to encourage students to succeed. The only problem I have had with sending my daughter here is that she has grown more high-maintenence, She has to keep up with the trends to keep her friends, and she feels miserable because she complains she is not 'popular' enough. The teachers are great but the vibes that come from the fellow students are often discouraging. I sometimes feel that every day my daugter prepares for school as if she were in a competition for the 'best looking'.

11055 South 1000 East, Sandy, UT  84094