No rating

Challenger School - Sandy Elementary School

Private | 1-8

Living in Sandy

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $191,900. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $860.

Sweep tile

Posted March 4, 2014

This school is in business becasue of their marketing prowess. Or really, I should say their marketing tenacity. NOT their ability to run a school. That apparently was a secondary strategy in running their school. The teachers and curriculum is probably deserve more than one star (3?), but the overall experience is barely even deserving of any stars. The administration is a complete joke. If this is your only option (we thought that was the case with us) then grit your teeth and the best of luck to you. BUT, if you are trying to decide between two schools do yourself a huge favor and pick the other one. It may not be much better but as the old adage goes "it can't be any worse!"

Posted February 7, 2014

My son currently attends kindergarten at the Holladay campus. He is my third child, but my first child to attend Challenger. I have been pleasantly surprised with how much he loves going to school each day. He had learned so much and enjoys sharing his newly found knowledge with our family. The teachers and staff are very friendly and enthusiastic about teaching and learning. My child is very creative and inquisitive and I feel like these characteristics are fostered at Challenger. If his eager enthusiasm to go to school each day is any indication of the quality of his school, then I highly recommend the kindergarten program at Holladay Challenger.

Posted September 26, 2013

I do not trust public review venues for this reason, 6 reviews in a short time period gives the impression one person was upset and posted several posting to give their point value. I recommend you go to Challenger, take a tour, and observe it firsthand. Those negative reviews are suspicious, and do not come close to describing the school.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 4, 2013

Wow. I posted the comment below this one BEFORE I read the other reviews! Coming from the teacher's perspective, if a teacher is yelling or being harsh, it is completely on that teacher. The style of teaching that Challenger promotes, encourages, and uses as training is patience and fun. In fact, the headmaster once told us that if he walks past a room and the kids aren't laughing, the teacher stinks. It was said in jest, but realistically, costumes are highly encouraged! Yes, Challenger's curriculum is accelerated and the teachers have their work cut out for them trying to give the students the education their parents are paying for. However, at every staff meeting and at all training, management ALWAYS brings up the reminder to HAVE FUN! It really is a big part of Challenger's whole philosophy. Please keep that in mind when looking at the school. There are good teachers and bad everywhere.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 20, 2013

To the person who posted on July 9, 2013, who did you have for the kindergarten teacher. We had Mrs. Amerson and Ms. Lindsey and they were wonderful. For preschool, we had Ms. Roberta and Ms. Karen and they were also wonderful. And no, I am not a parent who is getting a discounted rate for my children.

Posted July 19, 2013

Parents who are thinking about enrolling their children at the Challenger location in Sandy: please DON'T. I could go on and on and detail every single problem/flaw I noticed/had with the Sandy campus. But then this review would get too long. Long story short, the Sandy preschool campus is overcrowded; my daughter never got to know her teachers well; not even her classmates. She started telling me that she "hated" Challenger school and that she didn't want to go to school anymore (something that had never happened in the previous campus). I agree with other reviewers who said their children became like "zombies". The Sandy campus does an excellent job in turning your child from a happy human to a sad zombie. My daughter is currently enrolled in their summer program but I decided to let go of the 2 remaining weeks before the session is over. I can't stand the Sandy campus anymore. I will NEVER send my daughter there again. My other child will be in preschool age next year and he will be lucky to have never stepped a foot in your school. I've told my sister already not to enroll my niece at Challenger for next Fall either. Please don't make the same mistake I made.

Posted July 9, 2013

Very disappointed! This school is poorly run! This school may have been good years ago, but not now. It is safe to stay this school is still living off of good will from the past. The teachers are over-worked and under-paid. The teachers and administration use fear to attempt to teach. Students are coerced daily! The teachers and administrators do not take responsibility for their actions and are always trying to pass blame to the students or parents. Unfortunately, many parents don't learn the truth about this horrible school until after they have had their children enrolled for a while. This school breaks hope, spirit and confidence of all its students. The longer a child is at this school, the more zombie-like they become. We had a child at this school for about 9 months. Hopefully the negative impact will not be long lasting. Very sad!

Posted July 4, 2013

I would have to agree with the prior bad reviews. We moved to Utah the previous year and started our two kids at the Sandy campus in the PreK and Kindergarten program. Our kids have always been energetic and happy until we came to Challenger. We noticed right away a certain sadness from them as they would come home. As we explored the reason why, we discovered that the teachers are harsher than most. It would seem that most of the teachers are merely there to get a discount for their children and are unconcerned about the damage they are doing to the rest of the class. In fact, I would not be surprised if the post prior to this one has come from one of these teachers who have their kids attending Challenger at a discounted rate. If you notice the older kids walking into school, the older they are the more sad and zombie like state you see. Their confidence has been shattered and are unable to look you in the eye. In summation, Challenger is not our school.

Posted April 22, 2013

I've had the same horrible experiences as the previous posts, especially regarding the PreK teachers, the Director and the Headmaster. They have completely taken the fun out of learning and my child has been having nightmares for the last few months due to their constant YELLING and Bullying that amazingly enough comes from the Teachers! It's pointless to talk to the teacher and when I brought these issues to the Director, she unbelievably tried to turn it around on me and reprimanded me. She then interrogated my child - brainwashing him further! When I tried to bring the Headmaster into the situation that clearly the Director was not resolving, he wouldn't return my calls! Very Poorly Ran - needless to say, my child no longer goes to Challenger. They've cowed me into submission, so that the only way I can be heard is through this avenue. BE WARNED! This is not the school for you!

Posted April 22, 2013

I was surprised to discover how inhumanely they treated the children at this school for the amount they charge; they sure don't teach the children much of anything but fear.

Posted March 13, 2013

Watch out for the Pre-K! Ms Aubrey is horrible and the Directors at the Sandy campus are useless. Ms Aubrey, in particular, specializes in preaching instead of teaching and has absolutely no patience. She ll go over the concept one time and if the kids don t understand (which is every time) she will write a note on their paper saying the child wasn t listening. So the parent ends up teaching the kids at home. Now, I can understand every now and then, but this was happening every day! What was I paying $1,000.00 a month for? Ms Aubrey made my daughter so miserable that she was single-handedly turning her first learning experiences into a nightmare. I had to wait a full year to write this review, because the Teachers and Directors retaliate against the kids if you bring up any problems. I don t understand how anyone could treat these cute little kids the way Ms Aubrey does and the Directors are so defensive they can't see what is, so clearly, a big problem. Definitely a boot camp. :(

Posted March 1, 2013

I will not give this school even one star!! I was shocked and very upset one day to find my daughter's teacher yelling at her to stop crying, so loud, I could hear her through the door. It was a nightmare from the start with my daughter waking up in the middle of the night, many nights, terrified to go to school. Now I understand why. I had words with her teacher right after and let her know I did not appreciate, at all, the way she treated my child. (It takes a lot for me to confront someone.) She then had the audacity to deny she had yelled at her. Then the Senior staff came, mainly to escort me out, without any solution. And, now, hours later I have yet to hear from the school. Needless to say, I took my daughter and left. I will be getting my money back! There is much more I could say, but please run the other way!

Posted January 9, 2013

With this school you child swims or sinks. Those who swim get great attention and teachers boost their confidence. Unfortunately the kids who have attention or academic issues are left to drown, worse their confidence is so shattered it could have irreversible affect on them. Tread with caution.

Posted December 4, 2012

The school is great for first three years from pre school to Kindergarten. After that it is a waste of money and does not help your child to be a social all rounded person you would want him or her to be. This is school program is very academic and does not allow the child to enjoy their childhood. the teachers are very mechanical and are driven by corporate policies. Not caring about the individual child's needs. I wish I took my child out after Kindergarten. Will definitely take him out for 2nd grade. It is not worth the money. The teacher student ratio is 1:25 from 1st grade onwards. For $800 a month, that is not worth it. The kid is unnecessarily pressurized with their boot camp style of working.

Posted November 14, 2012

I won't recommend this school if your kid is social as they kill the innocent of a 5yrs old and ask them to act like 20yrs old guy....Teachers don't want to take the responsibilities to correct unacceptable behavior of pre-K or KG school kid at school and ask parents to do everything in one night....Won't recommend this school.

Posted October 2, 2012

My child attended Challenger School for 2 years and overall I found the teachers, staff, and school to be good. Challenger is place where academics is the key focus and I found it a little over bearing for (some) kids. My child seems to have gravitated more to technology and we are now getting him involved in more in those area's where we see him excel rather than putting huge academic pressure on him as child. Challenger is a for profit school and its a good place for some kids but we listen and watch our childs needs, rather than we as parents thinking its a great school because its private and has a good reputation. Our child has excelled in public school and the class room sizes are smaller than they are at Challenger.

Posted August 23, 2012

We had our Child in Challenger School for two years and it was so bad we had to quit. We found out our Child was bullied there. Our Child has Nightmares and Wets the bed, due to the high stress atmosphere. The love of learning is no longer there. The good teachers have left and poor ones have been hired. They have a high turnover rate with teachers. All they do is advertise for help wanted. All this for only 10,000 per year. Take my advise and go to Waterford or somewhere else.

Posted December 9, 2011

The Sandy Campus has the potential to be a great school, however they continually miss the mark with their administration, parent interaction and teacher relations. They are very unwelcoming to any parent participation (no volunteers allowed here). The school refuses to integrate any technology, such as e-mails accounts for the teachers or an online grading system. The iron-fisted administration does not allow teachers to use any of their own creativity in their teaching - if it doesn't come from the corporate office, it doesn't get used in the classroom. While they feel they're superior to public schools, you won't see any wonderful teacher imaginations and creativity in this school. There is also a high teacher turnover because of that iron-fisted mentality I mentioned earlier and the harshness with which the school deals with varying personalities of the teachers. I watched many great teachers come and leave the Sandy Campus. There are a few exceptional teachers in that school, however they are not allowed to individualize their class activities or projects. It's a shame that this school is wasting a good curriculum due to it's heavy-handed dictator-like administration.

Posted February 23, 2011

The best academic school Utah has to offer. Chec out the students test scores compared to the nation. These kids are smart!

Posted December 6, 2010

This is not a school, it is a boot camp. Children should learn to love learning. Challenger seems to think children are robots, to be programmed tpo spit out multiplication tables and phonics rules on demand. The teachers are trained the challenger way to enforce rules and get results, not to do what is best for the child.

Apply now