South Jordan, UT

South Jordan School 1

Posted September 25, 2013
My grandsons attend this school. Last November I sat in a conference with the principle, a teacher, a special ed representative, the parents and another person. My oldest grandson has aspergers. There were several issues brought forth at this meeting. However, it fell short of long term results and goals that were discussed. Yes, there was a big issue involving a custodian. His mother was in the lunchroom one morning with him as was her two other children. This woman singled him out on more than one occasion about sitting with his foot crossed under his bottom. He was born with his hip out of socket and has had issues of sitting for periods of time. Being able to sit with his foot under him often relieves some of the pressure and pain he experiences with this problem. Needless to say my grandson said that she would tell him everyday to sit on his bottom. This particular day my daughter intervened and told her to leave him alone that he sits that way because of his hip. She came back again while my daughter was there to tell him to sit like everyone else. After going to class she decided it was her business to go into the classroom and confront him about his sitting in front of all.

South Jordan School 2

Posted September 19, 2013
I do firmly believe that this website was created to help show the greatness of this school. When posting comments about other parents and/or staff needs to be factual events that took place. Please look into situations of events that have occurred before posting slanderous remarks towards other parents. (You truly need to know the whole truth about the situation before commenting)!!

Posted September 10, 2013
First off, I need to say that I am a parent that spends many hours at this school so I am a very good source. I know the staff and faculty very well. One of the best schools in UT. You can tell a difference with the amount of volunteer hours. There are a few parents who rant and rave (about our custodian who felt children needed to clean up after themselves) about the school who have never spent more than 1 hour at the school. Every teacher here is great with children and works well with children. Mr. Westwood is a great principal who is involved with the children EVERY day. He is out there at all times and the children will tell you that he knows them by name. As far as the bullying goes, the PTA makes sure that there is a bully awareness (which is currently this week and they had an amazing assembly for it a couple days ago) week, signs and posters up all over the school and teachers, aides and parents present in the school will attest to the zero bully tolerance. If you are wanting to attend this school, great choice! If you get involved in your child's education, you will always be treated with respect and your concerns heard. My family LOVES South Jordan Elementary School!!!

South Jordan School 4

Posted September 07, 2013
When we moved to this school from out-of-state, we had been trying for years to get help for our son. He had been diagnosed with a multitude of disabilities by mental health professionals in our home state but was still not receiving the help he needed or being tested for an IEP. When I spoke to the resource teacher and showed her the data we had, she was amazed he had not been tested. After filling out the proper paperwork, she was able to test my son, qualify him for Special Ed and it has made all the difference. We were able to get in a few months what we had not been able to get in years in our home state. Thanks to the staff at SJE - you are awesome and make a difference for kids!

Posted October 14, 2011
Mr. Bergera is a fantastic principal. Some teachers are "iffy" but most of them are excellent.

Posted August 15, 2011
My daughter goes to SJE and we love it! She is in the 1st grade and has great teachers! They are always helping to encourage her to succeed! When we built our house we made sure that we stayed in the district so she could continue with the great learning she has experienced so far.

Posted April 28, 2011
I have two children at SJE and one very excited 5 year old eagerly waiting to go to kindergarten. I would highly recommend SJE. Our experience with the school has been excellent. The reading program that begins in kindergarten is supported entirely by parent volunteers and sets these children up for success throughout their elementary education. The teachers and administration are very available, foster a sense of community, and focus on character traits such as responsibility or integrity throughout the year. There is a multitude of extra learning programs such as Meet the Masters art program that really catches the kids imaginations. This sets a high expectation for the children both academically and socially. I have a few friends with children with special needs and the school has been very good to work with in those situations. The Utah Legislature is embarassingly cheap when it comes to funding public education, but considering the limited resources, this school does a great job. The year round track system is a little confusing and a little stressful trying to coordinate schedules and teachers preferences.

South Jordan School 2

Posted March 20, 2004

South Jordan School
11205 South Black Cherry Way, South Jordan, UT  84095
Last modified South Jordan School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
South Jordan School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 8 reviews. Top