South Jordan, UT

Welby School 2

Posted January 24, 2014
Not too bad, the food quality sucks like cardboard, but other than that, Teachers are nice and they care about bullying.

Posted October 18, 2011
If this school allows the enrollment of one more student, it will surely burst at the seams! At the time of this writing, there are 1,018 student in grades K-6. That is the size of a normal junior high school. Because of this, they run a 4 track system to pack the kids in like sardines. Due to the large boundary size and parental choice in track, children will be on different tracks than their neighbors unless they consult with one another before applying for specific tracks. Aside from that, I must agree with an older post which stated, "It depends on the teacher you get." My children have regressed in reading and mathematics since attending here based upon previous levels of progress experienced at another local school. My only involvement with the principal has been through Principal Pride awards, but outside of that she can always be found in her office, rarely in the halls or outside. The PTA does not appear to be very active. The spending per student is $500 less per student than the state average, which places burden upon the parents to further supplement their child's education. If there is an option for another school, take it.

Welby School 4

Posted October 16, 2011
I have been impressed with Welby and how they handle the large number of children enrolled here. It is a track school which helps keep each class size lower than a lot of other schools that cram it all into one traditional school. My two children have both had great teachers that are always challenging them & making sure they are where they should be academically. My older child is advanced & they split the classes up & kids go with other kids from different classes so that the advanced kids do not get bored nor forgotten. I love how the teachers have small groups for teaching different subjects based on the children's levels. The principal is always walking around the school, the playground, the drop off area and is very friendly & approachable. The teachers, secretaries & principal all respond to emails in a very timely manner. I know this school struggles with the amount of students and I think they handle this situation very well. I feel my children are receiving a good education & are being challenged in appropriate ways. The parents involvement for the PTA seems to lack but a lot of parents do help in the classrooms I have noticed.

Welby School 5

Posted October 05, 2009

Welby School 5

Posted February 06, 2008

Posted January 16, 2008

Welby School 3

Posted August 23, 2005
My children attended this school for five years. Some of the teachers were wonderful and some just seemed to go through the motions. I rarely had a teacher share a portfolio of my child's school work at a parent teacher conference. Usually, as the child progressed to the upper grades, less school work and grading standards were shared at conferences or in the work sent home. It was difficult to assess what concepts were being taught and what concepts were being mastered sucessfully. More communication on what is happening in the specific classroom was needed. The school's newsletters were always well done. The office staff is friendly and helpful. However, the principal seems to take on individual behavior problems that could be solved with an unified school-wide discipline program. The principal seems to almost be defensive about things when approached by parents, students and even faculty.

Posted April 08, 2005
As far as the education,it depends on the teacher you get.Some teachers are better than others & some push & expect more than others so that their students can get the most from their education.It's too bad all of their teachers can't,don't or won't push their students to their full potential.All of our children deserve the best education they can get & lack of funds shouldn't be an excuse with all of the resources available these days.I'm just sorry it's the children who have to pay the price.

Welby School 4

Posted April 06, 2004
I have been very pleased with the teachers, administrators and staff at Welby throughout my daughters 3 years at the school. The office staff is very helpful. The principal and teachers are dedicated to creating a positive learning environment.

Posted October 02, 2003
I feel that the leadership of the principal has much to be desired. We have two children both with special needs. One teacher is willing to work with the situation and we have a wonderful relationship with her. The other teacher would sooner ship a 'problem' child off to a 'special' school that deals with ADHD issues. She and the principal have only been cooperative with us since we have pushed issues. Next year I hope we won;t have to go through this again.

Welby School
4130 West 9580 South, South Jordan, UT  84095
Last modified Welby School is a Public school that serves grades K-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Welby School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 11 reviews. Top