American Leadership Academy

Charter | K-12 | 1509 students

Living in Spanish Fork

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $166,300. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $750.

Sweep tile

Posted December 18, 2013

I send my students to ALA and they DO NOT have the politics like other high schools when it comes to sports and fine arts. I also love the dress code and that the policies are enforced. Students dress more modestly and act better because of it.

Posted October 5, 2013

DO NOT bring your kids to this school. They are better off in your local school district school. There is absolutely no communication at this school. They will talk to you, agree that there is a problem, but do something completely different behind your back.

Posted August 9, 2013

What I know for sure is this school is interested in the individualization of students. The teachers and administration look for ways to motivate students in ways that I haven't seen in other schools my students have attended. So safe and positive! With those things in place the other academic goals fall into place. Love it.

Posted April 29, 2013

Being the mother of 5 children at ALA (3 HS, 2 Elem) I feel my assessment of ALA is fair~ We transferred from an out of state charter. Yes, the registration process is lengthy, but I'd rather my children's educational records be complete, rather than hurried and incorrect. The uniform policy allows minor modifications, such as individualized shoes, jewlery, etc., while keeping distractions to a minimum. School clothes shopping is a breeze for me! ALA offers sports teams, drill, cheer, even Driver's Ed, but my children have really blossomed in ALA's arts department. Choir, show band, music theater, drama classes, ballroom dance, guitar, the list goes on and on! My children love trying new things at ALA, and with so many options, they are never bored. The education aspect has been very positive. My HS student struggled with Math until an ALA teacher took the time to explain & coach her. My Elem student has an speech IEP, to which the Spec. Ed instructors have done wonders with her. Administration has been excellent, especially the Elem principal, who sings & dances with the kids! ALA offers half or full-day kindergarten, something my "6 going on 16" loves! ALA is highly recommended!

Posted December 14, 2012

ALA is the most disorganized school I've dealt with and we've moved a lot so my kids have attended quite a few different schools. Registration is a nightmare. There aren't many options for Junior High kids. The pick up and drop off system is insane. The sports programs are poor at best. There is not much academic rigor. We have the uniform policy. The only redeeming thing is the teachers - they are some of the best.

Posted October 5, 2012

I transferred my child from Nebo School Disctrict, due to their lack of concern for my child's education and her needs with her IEP, to ALA. It was the best decision I could have made for my child. The ALA teachers, aides, special education department, and the principal have always been courteous, friendly, honest, and put the education of my child first. My experience with IEP meetings have been wonderful. Each person clearly explained their ideas and plans for my child and then asked my opinion and for other ideas I might have. They make changes to the IEP when I request it and it's obvious they are supportive of my decisions. I walk away knowing my concerns are addressed and a plan is made that I feel will best help my child. I also know that my child's regular classroom teacher wants my child in their class even with my child's struggles. I'm also grateful that there are only 20 kids in my child's class. My child thrives in smaller classes with more help from the teacher and her aides.

Posted May 10, 2012

My kids went to ALA when for the first years after it was opened, my son graduated from ALA in 2007. The school was new and had it's rough spots , but it was the best thing we could have done for him. He was bullied, depressed, and desperate not to go back to Payson High. He excelled in this new environment. Due to gas prices we returned our younger children to a closer elementary school in 2008, but now that they are moving up into junior high we are happy to be moving them back to ALA. My 8th grader moved in the middle of this year, and it has been a much better experience for her. She loves school and her teachers and she has made much better friends. I have found that if you need to talk to a teacher or the Jr High leadership, you just have to ask.

Posted November 28, 2011

very poorly run school my son and others have been bullyed for the last year and a half they dont prevent any problems from bullys my son and his friend were jumped by 12 students today hurt to the point that a ambulance had to be called after the princeabal told them to go back to class we had to tell them to call for help they told us that the kids who did this were on last strike and if they kicked them out they wouldnt have any where to go shame on ala and spanish fork police way to make the victems feel like they cant be safe maybe they should read state bully laws

Posted June 1, 2011

I think they should have another teacher not student helping the kids I dont think they are getting enough one on one time and it effects them. I kind of got the feeling ALA felt very unorganized in the classrooms. I also bought a yearbook and was dissapointed that it wasnt a hardback I think its worth it to pay a a little extra to make sure it lasts a long time. I would like to see all the teachers put something about themselves on line so we can have a little insite on making a choice of the next years teacher even though im sure they are all great people . I would also like to see more of an interest in the no tolerance of being bullied I think kids that get away with this is bound to escalate trouble. I really like this school alot for our student but as you can see I do have some concerns thank you we really do appreciate it and are proud to be able to say our child goes to ALA I really hope it keeps on improving.

Posted May 30, 2011

Amazing Elementary School principal, tremendous arts programs for our kids, great teachers and friendly office staff (although we did just hear that the junior high/administration bldg. secretary is being placed elsewhere next year, which is upsetting because we have LOVED her...). As parents, we have been so pleased to watch our children learn in such a unique atmosphere. The administrators seem to be no nonsense and straightforward, which we've never experienced in public schools. We have two elementary school kids and one in the junior high, and they all love coming to school here, especially for the fine arts. We were specifically looking for a school with teachers and administrators that had their heads on straight and knew of the importance of arts programs in schools. It's astonishing to us, frankly horrifying, that most public schools in this country have not done their research when it comes to the major impact that the arts have upon student achievement, let alone their emotional and spiritual well-being. We are so blessed to have chosen ALA for our kids, and we're saddened to see that the reviews for this school are not nearly what they should be. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

Posted February 25, 2011

This is our first year at ALA, and I LOVE IT! This is a fairly new school, so I understand they are sometimes a little disorganized, and the high school sports are still up and coming. I think they will continue to get better with time. My favorite thing is their math program. They level each grade, so that each student is put with other kids on the same math level. Even if your child is a little behind, this benefits them! They get the help they need! At our last school, my son was BORED! Now he loves school! They also teach a lot about our US history! The Director of the elementary is AWESOME! He is so friendly and the kids love him. He sometimes teaches singing classes and helps out with carpool. The teachers are always in contact with me! I get letters home weekly, and e-mails just as often. They offer suggestions and reward good behavior! I know I can always contact them with any concerns I have. They do not put up with any sort of bullying. They teach leadership skills starting in Kindergarten! I could seriously go on and on! I know this school isn't for everyone, but I am very glad that we chose to switch schools and attend ALA!

Posted February 23, 2011

American Leadership Academy is a fairly new school, and has made a lot of progress in the past few years. While they sometimes struggle to handle the large amounts of students they try to accommodate, the administration seems to really care about the students and they are readily available to parents. The elementary school has great teachers and super math and reading programs. They offer one on one help to students that struggle with reading, and have leveled learning. They have high standards and I love the dress code. The school really tries to do "more with less" and has been a great school for my elementary and Jr. High aged students to attend.

Posted February 1, 2011

I find American Leadership Academy to be weak. It tends to be extremely unorganized, the school dances are boring, the sports are below par, and it seems as if the only redeeming part about ALA is the Fine Arts programs. It's a very small school, as well. For some, that might be just what they need. However, it's easy to become bored there and you can start to feel like you're being suffocated. Some teachers are very strict, but then there are teachers where you don't even do anything in class. Most people tend to think that ALA is a school for kids who "don't belong" and, to be quite honest, it appears that it has been becoming exactly that. Many students are being forced to go there for getting in trouble -- be it drugs, bad grades, or bad behavior. The dress code isn't horrible, but it isn't ideal. And certainly not cheap or easy to find if you want to look respectable. And adding on to casual clothes, you have to buy a school uniform to last them at least 9 months. ALA could be the ideal school for some, but, after four years of attending, I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

Posted September 3, 2010

The school teaches great skills for students to have great self esteem and respect, positive attitudes and a love for learning. The opportunities at ALA are amazing, guitar in 4th grade, dance teams in 1st, teachers with unbelievable resumes. You would have to read them on the web site to even comprehend. My 3 kids love it at ALA, less stress to learn in and hands on projects to create the love for learning. Elementary Director is one of a kind, greet you with a smile and wave every morning, spends a couple hrs in a class to ensure quality and will even sing with the kindergarten class. The moto here is positive, uplifting, one that will stay with them for life.....Love it....

Posted August 26, 2009

This school still hasn't gotten all their ducks in a row. Mostly it is an experiment in education. The school run by the school district have more experience in providing a well rounded educational experience. Some of the staff don't have respect for the students. Those staff members are more interested in controlling the students than helping them grow as individuals. In my opinion, it is not worth the drive.

Posted August 21, 2009

ALA is sill having major growing pains when it comes to communication between the board, the parents and, the administration. While the elementary school does very well, the Jr. High and High School struggle. There are very few available elective classes, making it difficult for students to get a break from the basics. Many of the parents and board of directors rule the school with a complete authoritarian mindset. They have completely forgotten what it was like to be a teenager. A little leeway goes a long way with kids.

Posted December 1, 2008

I love that school it gives me more one on one with my teachers. It also gives me more opportunities to do the sports I want.
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 31, 2008

ALA has been a blessing for our family. Taking my children out of Nebo School District has been my best move as a parent. ALA gives students the opportunity to be individuals and pursue ideas other than sports. It is however not without it's faults...orginization seems to be their biggest weakness and my biggest dissapointment has been that past the elementary grades they no longer offer Saxon Math. Overall I think very highly of ALA and am confident that my children are getting the best education possible in our area.

Posted October 24, 2008

I attended American Leadership Academy for two years and I think that it is an excellent school. Although the classes may be a little bit too full sometimes, it is overall a very good school. It's filled with great students and teachers who are amazing! The downside is that our football team has lost homecoming game three years in a row....
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 17, 2008

I love American Leadership Academy. I love the fact that they have school uniforms and encourage the kids to look and act responsible and professional. The Special Education Department is fantastic.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2010.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2010.

Scale: % proficient or advanced

In 2012-2013 Utah used the Utah Criterion-Referenced Test (CRT) to test students in grades 2 through 11 in Language Arts, in grades 2 through 8 in Math, in grades 4 through 8 in Science and upon completion of certain courses in grades 8 through 11. The CRT is a standards-based testing program, which means it measures specific skills defined for each grade by the state of Utah. The goal is for all students to score at or above the proficient level.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 79% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

107 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 78% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 79% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 69% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 80% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 80% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 82% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 77% in 2013.

119 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

120 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 84% in 2013.

156 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 85% in 2013.

157 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 75% in 2013.

163 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 90% in 2013.

175 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 74% in 2013.

166 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 77% in 2013.

173 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 88% in 2013.

165 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 87% in 2013.

135 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Language Arts

The state average for Language Arts was 86% in 2013.

111 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 67% in 2010.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 56% in 2010.

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 40% in 2013.

38 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Algebra II

The state average for Algebra II was 40% in 2010.

Biology

The state average for Biology was 73% in 2013.

130 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Chemistry

The state average for Chemistry was 58% in 2013.

92 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Earth Science

The state average for Earth Science was 68% in 2013.

151 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 42% in 2013.

48 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Physics

The state average for Physics was 75% in 2013.

n/a

Pre-Algebra

The state average for Pre-Algebra was 73% in 2013.

10 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Asian 0% 2%

Source: NCES, 2010-2011

Fax number
  • (801) 794-2130

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Targeted Assistance program (TAS)

Apply now