Public charter
Spanish Fork, UT

American Leadership Academy 1

Posted November 15, 2014
DO NOT BRING YOUR KIDS TO THIS SCHOOL THEY ARE BETTER OFF IN A PUBLIC SCHOOL. ALA PRESENTS ITSELF ON THE OUTSIDE AS A SCHOOL FOR every KID BUT IT IS NOT and the system with yellow cards can not be more outta place my kid tells me about yellow cards from his school like how if you get 3 yellow cards you are suspended so I asked him how can you get a yellow card he tells me a couple of reasons but the one that caught me was for missing work I mean come on if you have missing work and not doing it is it really a good IDEA to be taken out of school the school as a whole makes no sense also the way they teach is just terrible please do not send your kid hear

Posted August 10, 2014
As a 16-year-old senior at American Leadership Academy, I can truly say that this school has set up the best environment for me to learn in. I fit in with all of the students and there is no bullying amongst us. Going into this senior year, thanks to the EdNet program, I'm finished with my high school credits and 9 credits away from an associate's degree from UVU. The fine arts are also astounding here. ALA is incredible.

Posted July 29, 2014
I have been going to this school for almost 10 years now and have loved every minute of it! I started out in kindergarten when the school first opened in 2005! This school offers so much more than other schools. The teachers, janitors, and other staff know more/want to know more about you than your name. The school and classes are smaller so the teachers can actually get to know you as a person (not just a random student they are getting paid to put up with) and try their best to answer most of your questions. This school makes you feel safe and comfortable. If you're not feeling safe or comfortable there, there are a couple of groups that are there for you to talk to,etc. One of the newest groups they have is The Hope Squad. The Hope Squad is a group off high schoolers that are mostly there for bullying/suicide prevent and are there to just talk to. Another one of the groups is called the Ambassadors. The Ambassadors are a group of kids that have been at the school since it first opened and started out in Kindergarten. The Ambassadors purpose is to look out for everyone, be an example, make a difference and make changes in the school that will help it become better.

Posted December 18, 2013
I send my students to ALA and they DO NOT have the politics like other high schools when it comes to sports and fine arts. I also love the dress code and that the policies are enforced. Students dress more modestly and act better because of it.

American Leadership Academy 1

Posted October 05, 2013
DO NOT bring your kids to this school. They are better off in your local school district school. There is absolutely no communication at this school. They will talk to you, agree that there is a problem, but do something completely different behind your back.

Posted August 09, 2013
What I know for sure is this school is interested in the individualization of students. The teachers and administration look for ways to motivate students in ways that I haven't seen in other schools my students have attended. So safe and positive! With those things in place the other academic goals fall into place. Love it.

Posted April 29, 2013
Being the mother of 5 children at ALA (3 HS, 2 Elem) I feel my assessment of ALA is fair~ We transferred from an out of state charter. Yes, the registration process is lengthy, but I'd rather my children's educational records be complete, rather than hurried and incorrect. The uniform policy allows minor modifications, such as individualized shoes, jewlery, etc., while keeping distractions to a minimum. School clothes shopping is a breeze for me! ALA offers sports teams, drill, cheer, even Driver's Ed, but my children have really blossomed in ALA's arts department. Choir, show band, music theater, drama classes, ballroom dance, guitar, the list goes on and on! My children love trying new things at ALA, and with so many options, they are never bored. The education aspect has been very positive. My HS student struggled with Math until an ALA teacher took the time to explain & coach her. My Elem student has an speech IEP, to which the Spec. Ed instructors have done wonders with her. Administration has been excellent, especially the Elem principal, who sings & dances with the kids! ALA offers half or full-day kindergarten, something my "6 going on 16" loves! ALA is highly recommended!

American Leadership Academy 2

Posted December 14, 2012
ALA is the most disorganized school I've dealt with and we've moved a lot so my kids have attended quite a few different schools. Registration is a nightmare. There aren't many options for Junior High kids. The pick up and drop off system is insane. The sports programs are poor at best. There is not much academic rigor. We have the uniform policy. The only redeeming thing is the teachers - they are some of the best.

Posted October 05, 2012
I transferred my child from Nebo School Disctrict, due to their lack of concern for my child's education and her needs with her IEP, to ALA. It was the best decision I could have made for my child. The ALA teachers, aides, special education department, and the principal have always been courteous, friendly, honest, and put the education of my child first. My experience with IEP meetings have been wonderful. Each person clearly explained their ideas and plans for my child and then asked my opinion and for other ideas I might have. They make changes to the IEP when I request it and it's obvious they are supportive of my decisions. I walk away knowing my concerns are addressed and a plan is made that I feel will best help my child. I also know that my child's regular classroom teacher wants my child in their class even with my child's struggles. I'm also grateful that there are only 20 kids in my child's class. My child thrives in smaller classes with more help from the teacher and her aides.

Posted May 10, 2012
My kids went to ALA when for the first years after it was opened, my son graduated from ALA in 2007. The school was new and had it's rough spots , but it was the best thing we could have done for him. He was bullied, depressed, and desperate not to go back to Payson High. He excelled in this new environment. Due to gas prices we returned our younger children to a closer elementary school in 2008, but now that they are moving up into junior high we are happy to be moving them back to ALA. My 8th grader moved in the middle of this year, and it has been a much better experience for her. She loves school and her teachers and she has made much better friends. I have found that if you need to talk to a teacher or the Jr High leadership, you just have to ask.

American Leadership Academy
898 West 1100 South, Spanish Fork, UT  84660
Last modified American Leadership Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
American Leadership Academy Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 36 reviews. Top