St George, UT

Posted March 31, 2014
I have a kindergartner and 3rd grader at this school, and love the dual immersion opportunity. Both children read and write and speak Spanish without an accent despite their parents only knowing a little Spanish. Both are better readers in English than their peers at other schools. I was surprised that learning the Spanish seemed to help their English reading as well. We love the music program, violin, conga town (percussion group). The family center on-site to check out bilingual books, games, learning kits, dvd's and parenting materials is also wonderful. The preschool teacher is amazing. Although started with some controversy, Dixie Sun has worked out many of the initial challenges of dual immersion. I've been impressed with teachers willing to help parents before school know how to help in Spanish (as we parents were just learning). One of the secretaries is a little less than friendly, but still does her job. The new principal has been adding greater consistency and test scores have continued to rise since changing to dual immersion. The "intervention" groups seem to be a good thing, challenging those who understand, and helping those who need it. Love the small class size.

Posted March 31, 2014
Awesome bilingual program. I have five children who attend Dixie Sun and we love the program.

Posted March 31, 2014
My daughter has learned so much this year! I am amazed at how much Spanish she already knows for just being in kindergarten! Her teacher is so kind and supportive! The staff is so caring. I am glad I made the decision to take my daughter to Dixie Sun Elementary!

Posted September 16, 2013
Love this school! My red headed boys have been speaking Spanish since kindergarten and they have so many fun activities to help them learn. The music program is amazing and was paid for in part due to the PTA! We won the national board of education blue ribbon award which NO school in Utah has received in over 8 years! Great positive go getter principles and wonderful teachers!

Dixie Sun School 1

Posted February 18, 2010

Posted July 08, 2009
My daughter has been going to this school for 2 years already and i love the fact that they are bilingual.

Posted June 04, 2009

Posted March 02, 2009
I am very pleased with my child's education at Dixie Downs. He is currently in 2nd grade but started in Kindergarten. I couldn't believe how advanced he was compared to my friend's children who attend another school. He is reading, writing, and speaking in Spanish already. I am so excited about his future possibilities because he will be bi-lingual. I look forward to when he enters the 4th grade and he can start learning the violin. It surprised me to read comments about people not being friendly, everyone seems very friendly and cooperative. They want your child to succeed.

Posted February 14, 2009
I have my son who is attending this school. He started the dual language program since Kinder. He is now in first grade. I am profoundly astounded to see his mental growth. He is able to speak, read, and write fluently in both English and Spanish. Besides learning so much, there is so many extracurricular activities going on in the school. They offer after school programs until 6pm. Many teachers teach intervention to students who need the help. I haven't heard of a school in St. George that offers this free help. This school is the only school in the district to offer a full time music and violin instruction. I appreciate the many different programs going on in this school. The teachers are very well trained and are dedicated. Most of the comments I have read are from parents who are giving false reviews, please read the principal's comments.

Posted February 14, 2009
Dixie Downs is a great school. My son is in kidergarten. It is the only school in the district that has full day kindergarten. My child is starting to read, not only in English but in Spanish! I've noticed my son's alertness increase. I speack two languages from serving on a mission in a different country. I know first hand how learning a new language broadens the mind and helps in making connections with other languages. The teachers at this school care a great deal.

Dixie Sun School
1795 West 1230 North, St George, UT  84770
Last modified Dixie Sun School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Dixie Sun School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 15 reviews. Top