928 students|Davis District

Bad
Good

Develops character: Agree

Great Staff, Great Teachers, and VERY Awesome Students willing to be all you have asked in this question

They (Davis School District) need to spend some money on upgrades for this school to give the students a more comfortable learning environment. I have seen elementary schools (in the neighborhood, within blocks of SJH) get new gymnasiums, libraries, cafeterias, actual stages with real sound systems that work, state of the art stage lighting, new windows throughout, while Sunset Jr. students suffer with no air conditioning, lousy heating, musty smelling hallways, a flag that when you sing the National Anthem you are looking at a drooping old flag on a broom stick, a sound system that never works, and the stage lighting, come on, these kids put their hearts and souls into their performances, and most of the time you either can't see them, tell who is saying, or singing what, a student at the back of the room is trying to keep up with a handheld spotlight. This is a 7th-9th graders school.....they deserve a lot better. I will say the Teachers and Staff are awesome!!

Sunset Jr. High is a great school. It's an older building but very well kept. The teachers and administration are great! My older 2 kids have both gone through Sunset and have done great. They offer many accelerated/honors classes and also have many sports, clubs, and activities. The new principal is so great. Really cares about the kids well being and their academic endeavors!

I am a ninth grader at Sunset Junior High School and have gone there since seventh grade. When I was about to go into seventh grade I had heard some bad things about it, but I know better now! It is a great school with excellent staff and administration. It also has great programs to help children who are struggling, and school wide programs to improve reading, writing, etc. I have also been wowed by the math teachers. I have learned so much and the teachers are to thank. They teach you well, and give you assignments to learn, instead of just busy work. I am so grateful that I chose to go to sunset, because it has truly helped to grow intelectully.

I am a ninth grade student at Sunset Junior High, and I very much agree with the parent that commented first. Some of the teachers here aren't very 'fun' with their teaching. I always seem to do better in the classes that have the teacher that makes it fun. They are very large in the musical departments, which is something I'm happy for. They have recently canceled the drama class, something which upset me beyond words. (And many others, trust me). I have a friend that is sitting with me who just got VERY angry just because I brought it up again. I don't like the dress code on 'ripped-jeans', which aren't a distraction to the learning process at all. Them making it a rule and a big deal is a distraction. Anyways, there's your review. I know from first-hand experience.

I am so impressed by the staff and administration. I had heard very mixed reviews about this school before we moved but have been pleasantly suprised. I appreciate the band and foreign language departments so much. My son is thrilled to be able to take German. I think they have worked very hard to be aa good, hard-working, safe school.

Last modified Sunset Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.