933 students|Davis District

Bad
Good

Posted December 26, 2013
Sunset Jr. High is a great school. It's an older building but very well kept. The teachers and administration are great! My older 2 kids have both gone through Sunset and have done great. They offer many accelerated/honors classes and also have many sports, clubs, and activities. The new principal is so great. Really cares about the kids well being and their academic endeavors!

Posted June 21, 2009
I am a ninth grader at Sunset Junior High School and have gone there since seventh grade. When I was about to go into seventh grade I had heard some bad things about it, but I know better now! It is a great school with excellent staff and administration. It also has great programs to help children who are struggling, and school wide programs to improve reading, writing, etc. I have also been wowed by the math teachers. I have learned so much and the teachers are to thank. They teach you well, and give you assignments to learn, instead of just busy work. I am so grateful that I chose to go to sunset, because it has truly helped to grow intelectully.

Sunset Jr High School 2

Posted May 26, 2009
I am a ninth grade student at Sunset Junior High, and I very much agree with the parent that commented first. Some of the teachers here aren't very 'fun' with their teaching. I always seem to do better in the classes that have the teacher that makes it fun. They are very large in the musical departments, which is something I'm happy for. They have recently canceled the drama class, something which upset me beyond words. (And many others, trust me). I have a friend that is sitting with me who just got VERY angry just because I brought it up again. I don't like the dress code on 'ripped-jeans', which aren't a distraction to the learning process at all. Them making it a rule and a big deal is a distraction. Anyways, there's your review. I know from first-hand experience.

Posted October 10, 2007
I am so impressed by the staff and administration. I had heard very mixed reviews about this school before we moved but have been pleasantly suprised. I appreciate the band and foreign language departments so much. My son is thrilled to be able to take German. I think they have worked very hard to be aa good, hard-working, safe school.

Posted February 06, 2005
I am a ninth grade student at sunset junior high and I love it, most of my teachers are fun and easy to talk to, they look at you as a person, not as someone who sits in a desk for 48 minutes a day, and are people I go to for advice. I am going to be sad to leave the teachers that I have had for 1-2 years, they are so fun! I love going to school every day, the availability of extracurricular programs is great, lots of clubs for any student, even the struggling ones, however I don't think there is a lack of parent involvement. I would like to explain to the South Weber parents that without your great kids our school wouldn't have enough students. It just wouldn't be the same without the South Weberans!

Sunset Jr High School 2

Posted February 24, 2004
There are a some teachers (not all) at this school that do not make learning interesting for the students. Some seem to follow a simple regmented method of teaching and won't vary their instruction to meet students needs. The result is students don't seem to care if they learn, make good grades, or even turn in their assignments. Parents usually don't find out there is a problem until parent/teacher conferences. Which usually makes it too late to correct the situation. Some of the teachers also seem to have lost (or maybe never had) the passion that is required to be a teacher. I have witnessed many examples of both students and teachers alike that don't respect each other. Parents in our community (South Weber) have been very involved in the school but don't seem to be getting any support from the school's staff or leadership. Many suggestions have been made as to how to improve the school without much response from the school or the school district. They have given us many excuses as to why our suggestions can't be implemented. Our children have to travel 10 miles to get to school. This is a long bus ride for a metropolitan area and there are many schools closer than this one. This is especially frustrating since the instruction has been mediocre at best.

Sunset Jr High School
1610 North 250 West, Sunset, UT  84015
Last modified Sunset Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 4 out of 10 based on academic quality.