1,157 students|Davis District

Bad
Good

My school is really cool. My school is really cool. My school is really cool.

The other reviews on here about all the drugs at SJHS crack me up. They are everywhere and switching to Legacy won't necessarily protect your kids! My oldest attends and is involved in the IB program. She goes to an IB activity every month. They have gone to a corn maize and swimming at the rec center, fun stuff like that. I get regular email updates from the principal and her teachers work with her on missing assignments. She never complains about it being too hot or cold and the office staff is friendly and helpful. I think people are relying on old rumors to get a variance to Legacy because it is new and prettier. Syracuse Jr. High is a decent school.

I go to this school and I am not impressed. There is no air conditioning so the school is very hot in the summer. The ninth grade hall is very narrow and it is not a good layout. Lots of the teachers don't teach you and they expect you to do good on tests. The people who do construction do it during school, and so it makes lots of noise. The staff do not in force dress code, and there are lots of people with excessive piercing.

I remember my days at Syracuse Junior High, Fights were common Drugs were in all that stuff. And now i don't know why I decided to let my children be registered students at this school. My son is in 9th Grade this year and my Daughter is in 8th and this year they have gotten variences to Legacy because it is a WAY better school. My kids were uncomfortable at Syracuse being offered drugs everyday made my little girl hate school, when my kids were at Cook Elementary School, they were happy. Now they are super excited to go to LJH. If it works out they might even be going to Clearfield or Layton High, because we know that Syracuse High School won't be a good school. I'm proud of my kids for speaking to me about the dangers of this school, it is really not a good area for kids to be in, if your serious about your children's education DO NOT send them to this school, you would be better off having them go to West Point or Legacy, actually anything but syracuse.

Wow! I'm a little shocked at the negative comments I have read. I have taught at this school for 4 years now and we are on our 3rd principal. This has been challenging, but has also provided new. I think it is a great place to work. I teach the IB/MYP Honors classes and love working in this program and with these students. I realize not everyone can be happy with everything, but it is such a great school that I have my own children attending it. I think there are always bad things at every school. I really believe that the majority of teachers at this school are concerned with teaching students and helping all students to learn and be successful. I have worked at several other schools over the last 15 years and I believe Syracuse Jr. High to be one of the best in Davis School District. They have always tried to maintain high, rigorous academic standards and have started programs to help students who aren't succeeding. The IB/MYP brings in students from the north end of the district and provides challenging academic classes. I love teaching at this school and feel like my own child receives an excellent education here!!

I have had 3 go through this school, and as of right now i have a 9th grader and a 7th grader. I honestly HATE this school, I honestly think that the faculty and staff cares more about the school mascot more than the students. On top of that my daughter does not feel comfortable going to school, as does my son. I have talked to them both (not together) and they both say the same things. That all the popular people are into drugs and alcohol and everybody is just plain mean....well it is not acceptable My daughter will be going to Legacy next year as my son will not be going to SHS he will be going to CHS the parent involvement is also unsatisfactory the only thing i can do is check my kids grades anything other than that unless they tell me i don't know about. The principal seems nice but he did call in my daughter and yelled at her when it was a different girl that was in trouble the teachers are great some of them i feel actually care and others don't even teach my kids anything new....The school building is not acceptable either you can take bricks out of the walls and the carpet is Disgusting if you are smart have your kids go to a different ACCEPTABLE school.

This is my third year at SJH and I absolutely love it! The IB program is just what I need and the people in it are so responsible and mature. The teachers are pretty good and the building is okay. We could really use some air conditioning, though! I wouldn't go to any other junior high and I'm so glad I'm able to go!

This school needs air conditioning but it's pretty great! i love the kids and most of the teachers are wonderful...most(:

My son just started the IB program this year at this school, the program it's great he's loving it . they just got a new principal so I can't comment on that ,but my first impression about the school is that they're not very organized, back to school night was a nightmare for me, we'll see how it goes.

I have attended this school from 7th to 9th grade and am part of the IB program at this school. I enjoy coming here because the IB curriculum is more challenging than the normal one. I also really like the teachers. My mom has found principal Bowden to be open to new ideas, such as ways to improve the efficiency of the drop-off zone. Some of the teachers here aren't liked as much as others, but the all the IB teachers I've had are great. I am glad my parents make the commute to take me to this school; it's the best I've gone to so far.

Last modified Syracuse Jr High School is a Public school that serves grades 7-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.