Public charter
Tooele, UT

Posted February 18, 2014
My son has been at Excelsior Academy for 2 years now, and my daughter will join him there next year. I love the more reasonable class sizes (compared to some local schools), having a teacher's aide at all times, and the leveled learning. I feel this is helping my son to be exactly where he needs to be with his learning. They adjust his group based on his ability levels so he's never bored or struggling. His teacher has also gone above and beyond in helping him to fit in and succeed in school. I love being included in my son's education. The learning plan he comes home with every night keeps me informed with what he's learning. I also receive emails from his teacher with updates on his grades and goings on in the classroom. The only things that I can think of that are "cons" would be the drive time (no buses), and they're a little heavy on homework.

Posted February 02, 2014
We LOVE Excelsior.We have been there for four years. We chose it over our local elementary school based on the leveled learning they offer in reading, spelling and math. They use the Core Knowledge Sequence for history, literature and science. The kids are exposed to a wide variety of subjects even in Kindergarten. They stress patriotism by reciting the Pledge and singing the National Anthem. I love the uniform policy. I like the school wide behavior system, it is consistent no matter where the student is in the school. There were many administrative changes in the first few years. It seems they have found a great core of administrators who are dedicated to the school and community. Drawbacks: drive time (no bus system), a little heavy on homework, longer school day 8:15-3:30 (other public schools 9-3:30).

Posted July 16, 2013
We have children in both elementary and junior high grades. This is our third year at Excelsior and all our interactions have been very positive. We can see a dramatic difference between the level of education my children were getting at Settlement Canyon Elementary; our children are being better prepared for higher education and excellence in their future endeavors. We love the variety of subjects they are taught and the way the curriculum broadens their perspective on those subjects. We are very pleased with the importance the school places upon teaching children about patriotism and civic duty. All our children are experiencing things in the classroom that inspire and excite them. Programs, such as art, music, and physical education are never taken from them. We are in favor of the classroom disciplinary system-some may call it "strict," but it's no different than the card system in other schools. It is enforced and children are expected to behave so that all scholars may learn. Scholars who master a subject are presented with advanced material that challenges them. Two teachers in every classroom is a wonderful advantage that greatly benefits teachers and students.

Posted June 28, 2012
My children have been in this school for 3 years. It has been wonderful. The teachers and staff have been responsive and willing to communicate with me. My children have excelled here. I love the leveled learning and the care that the directors and staff have for the scholars. I am impressed with the strict behavior guidelines and appreciate the order that the school has. The curriculum is challenging and encourages the kids to do their best. I would highly recommend this school.

Excelsior Academy 2

Posted August 30, 2011
This is my childrens third year attending and we have decided it is best for them to go back to public school. There have been 3 principals in the last 3 years and it is extremely strict. I think the structure is great in tjeory but is executed so rigidly children are treated like soldiers. This is great for children that need structure to be successful but not for children that wish to be able to express themselves.

Excelsior Academy 4

Posted July 29, 2011
I like the school, the leveled learning progams, and the teachers, My kids like going to school and can learn at their own pace. The dress code is great. The management, however, needs to stop changing things (curriculum, library time, computer, time) in the middle of the school year. And who ever heard of a school without a school library? Also, I think the teachers are expected to cram so much information into kids each day they kind of cut back on quality. All and all I think it is an above average school.

Posted November 28, 2010
My three children are in there second year of attending the school. I have to say it has been great. All three of my children have excelled quickly and have learned above and beyond what they thought they could. The thing we love best is that the children can learn at there own pace , they are not held back with the class because of one or two children and if they need the individuale attention they recieve it. The teachers are great and the administration in the Middle school is wonderful he loves his job and the kids and it shows. There is no drama amongst the students and it makes for a better learning enviroment.

Excelsior Academy 1

Posted July 21, 2010
This school's administrative board decisions and continual changes in vision and staff has lead to not knowing what you are going to get out of this charter school. Too many parents and teachers are leaving and heading back to the traditional public schools.

Posted January 26, 2010
We love this school! The teachers are great, the principal is very easy to comunicate with, and they offer so many different 'clubs'.

Excelsior Academy
124 East Erda Way, Tooele, UT  84074
Last modified Excelsior Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-9. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Excelsior Academy Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 9 reviews. Top